1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hallway.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by BackgroundExtra, Oct 15, 2013.

1. I ordered the first season of "Queer as Folk" on Saturday, and it just came in. I have only seen the pilot episode so far.

The town I live in is very small, and we only have one gay bar. It's about the size of a school classroom. There is a dance floor in the far corner that can hold about a dozen people.

This is all I really know personally of "gay nightlife."

On "QAF," they show a hallway behind the Babylon nightclub where a bunch of gay guys are having sex in the dark. One of the main characters casually walks down the hallway and even makes small talk with a few of the guys who are engaging in...well, you know. :***:

My question is: does this type of thing really happen in gay clubs in bigger cities? Are there hallways or back rooms where guys go to have sex in big clusters?

And, if so, do big city lesbian bars have the same thing? I can't really see lesbians being as animalistic...but hey, what do I know?

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it may not be as extreme or as choreographed as QAF, but yes, it happens.

3. Greatwhale: Yes, it kind of seemed like they were aiming for shock value.

Additionally, I am doubtful that big city gay bars have a continuous shower of glitter falling from the ceiling.

4. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

:lol: Good question, BE! I'd like to know the same thing, although I can't say I share your doubts.

If my fantasies are anything to go by, I think I'd be more partial to the alley behind the bar... :eusa_pray

5. palimpsest

This is such an educational thread. Been such an educational day. Life is good.

6. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your town is big enough to warrant a gay bar? What are you complaining about?? Criminy...I'd *love* a dance floor that could hold a dozen people.

7. Dragonbait: HAAA! You must be the Brian Kinney of the lesbian community! (Jesus, I'm already using an annoyingly copious amount of QAF references.)

Palimpsest: You're tellin' me, man. I have to take notes while I can. I'd feel weird or overly innocent if I posed these questions to my 3 gay friends.

8. palimpsest

BE, we will both feel weird until we don't. Just want to shorten the learning curve. No, that's not it, just want to settled into my own skin enough that I can take whatever comes in good humor.

9. LOL, biAnnika. I guess I should consider myself lucky. It's funny, though. The first time I entered our bar, it felt vast and full of possibility. Now that I've been in there a couple dozen times, it's starting to feel like an asbestos-laden garage in which gay men feel each other up.

Palimpsest: I feel the exact same way! Kind of like being in middle school and wanting to know the in's and out's of "nookie" so you can keep up with the recess chatter.

10. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

BE, Preacherman, you will BOTH feel weird when you mistakenly let slip that you have all this inside info on the lesbian mind and your gay friends all look at you like :eek:?!

---------- Post added 15th Oct 2013 at 10:55 PM ----------

See? So the education flows both ways! You inspired a good 15 minutes of surfing tonight. Who is Brian Kinney? Did you know that QAF has its very own wiki? Who knew? (Sorry, I don't watch TV, although I have been known to netflix "The L Word" on my tablet on the rare occasion.)

I've heard many a reference to QAF, but other than hearsay, had never delved deeper. Hate to burst your bubble, but I am about as far from the Brian Kinney described in QAFwikia as I am from Pope Francis. :goodevil:

Although I do have to admit, it might be nice to be his female counterpart, for a night or two at least! :lol:

11. palimpsest

Dragonbait, did you just rename me Preacherman?

And, if so, I'll have you know that I've loved both of my aunts my entire life, they are the most stable couple in my family apart from my grandparents. Though, I've never talked shop with them, so you are probably right.

12. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

"Talked shop"?! With your aunts? :roflmao:

And yes, as you will likely soon find, I am quite fond of the spur-of-the-moment moniker!

13. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This has been a truly entertaining thread! :grin:

Criminy! :grin: Praying for backroom/back alley action, too funny DB!

Yes, everyone be warned: you too may suffer DB's monikerization! Keep your heads low, maybe she won't notice! :icon_bigg

I hope that all this "gayducation" is serving you well, I had to learn it all the hard way :rolle: (OK this last reference is way too double-entendre, even for me!)

And I wish, I so wish that glitter were falling from the ceiling everywhere I went...:roflmao:

#13 greatwhale, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  14. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

:eusa_whis

15. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Such a helpful thread! Sometime on EC I feel like I am in a twisted kind of gay Montessori school, absorbing information like a sponge, for future reference! When the time comes, I fully expect to be able to play the "innocent choir boy" card and then knock someone's socks (or whatever) off thanks to all this valuable info. Then I can really EARN that "Devilboy" moniker that DB saddled me with in a different post!

16. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Known as "darkrooms" ... very common in clubs in places like Amsterdam NYC and elsewhere...

BUT... I have never had the guts to go in one!!!

17. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The back room isn't always in a back room. There's a bar i have attended a couple of times where the play happens about 5-10 feet from the bar itself in the back half of the club. You could almost order a beer while... Its not uncommon at all in my experience. The men at these places have always been very polite at these places. They have always left me alone when I turned down there advances. Its pretty shocking the first time... I have definitely walked away with some stories. Raining glitter from the ceiling.... haven't seen that one tho. Had some great fun at the Limelight back in the day. That place got nuts but that's another thread in and of itself.

18. Dragonbait: Believe it or not, I have actually seen much more "L Word" than QAF! A male roommate I had watched it for the girl-on-girl action. I think the character "Shane" might have been the Brian Kinney counterpart? She seemed to be the "trophy" lesbian of the show. LOL

Greatwhale: I'm totally going to use "gayducation" in life!

Choirboy: Knocking someone's "whatever" off sounds more fun. :wink:

Bingostring: Innnnnteresting. I know that the one time I'd ever set foot in one, I'd see someone I know, and inevitably get blackmailed. LOL