1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

He really likes me...I'm not so sure I like him so much

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greatwhale, Oct 16, 2013.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings folks,

Old habits die hard. I played the husband/father/boyfriend role for so long, I still find it awkward to respond properly when a guy falls head over heels for me! (I know, I know, it's a problem we all seem to want...still a problem if I don't feel quite the same way)

It's still a little strange to me, I must admit, to be the object of some guy's intense affection. I do find that guys are more direct, more to the point, and I find that to be both alluring, and scary.

But I guess it's when the interest is mis-matched, when some guy starts talking marriage and I'm just thinking tonight...that it gets awkward.

Am I leading him on? Will he understand if we go so far and no further? Should I cut off all communications? Am I being cruel by not staying the night? What if he misunderstands and gets angry?

What if it's love at 2nd or 3rd sight? I've heard of these things happening; where the first impressions were awful, but eventually some very beautiful relationships developed nevertheless. I don't know, I guess it's the triumph of hope over experience...

What if all I want right now is a cuddle in front of the TV...and nothing more?

2. palimpsest

GW, if that is all you want right now then that is where you are at. Be honest about it. No signs, symbols are room for loopholes. Clear, concise communication made with compassion.

3. Jessica79

Hi I'm not older like everyone here but I thought I would try and help:

I'm not sure on your current relationship status but if your single you could try and get with him you may not have strong feelings now but I had that once he was soooo clingy and when we got together after a month I loved him to bits ^_^ I would say give it a try with him and if you still don't have strong feelings just say I'm sorry I don't think this is working out I hope you make the right decision for yourself good luck xxx

#3 Jessica79, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  4. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

I want someone to snuggle with...sigh.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks folks...that's all he feels like doing too :grin:

So off I go for a cuddle...being gay is grand! :icon_wink

You'll find someone Rosie, a sweetheart like you won't have any problem at all!

Thanks Kawaii Girl, I love the expression: "I love him to bits"

Thanks Palimpsest, clarity is essential, but the heart has other ideas... :grin:

#5 greatwhale, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  6. Greatwhale: I don't think you're being cruel. You're not used to being in bed with a guy. It's jarring. And may not even feel 'right.' Sure, you're gay; but having gay opportunities in front of you is still relatively new. I can understand the nerves and/or apprehension. And even the instinct to flee.

A short-term solution is to tell him that you're still getting over someone. In my opinion, that is true. You're still getting over your former 'hetero' life with your ex-wife (I think you have an ex-wife? Still trying to get everyone's story straight :help:slight_smile:. That is a huge hurtle. If you shared those details with him, he'd have no choice but to understand that you're not ready for anything deeper right now.

A long-term solution would be to just honestly say, "You're a good guy, but I'm just not feeling this." I think this is the better way to go, because it will prevent him from coming back in 6 months and saying "Soooo, are you ready to marry me now?"

Also, the second solution would give him closure, thereby allowing him to try to find someone new. If you give him an excuse, he may still cling to hope that you'll love him eventually.

Only you know what's best for the situation. Good luck!

---------- Post added 16th Oct 2013 at 04:14 PM ----------

Oh, LOL, I hadn't refreshed the thread for a while. Glad he's on the same page!

#6 BackgroundExtra, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  7. palimpsest

GW, you wicked man you.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The wickedest ... :badgrin:

---------- Post added 17th Oct 2013 at 12:39 AM ----------

Thanks BE!

I guess I am pretty comfortable with guys, overall. What I'm less comfortable with is the intensity of their attraction to me, that's the part that I find...uncomfortable.

I guess what I'm saying is, I want to be wooed (or I vant to be vooed, if you're from Transylvania). :grin:

I would love to see some creative effort on the guy's part to raise the level of dating to other registers of experience. I want to see some guy make an effort to take his time with me, to dance the dance a little instead of jumping into things, or into bed....

The pebble story that I mentioned in my Love and Possession post is what I'm craving, I should think that if I am so desired, I should at least expect to be impressed a little by the guy's effort to make the "chase" interesting.

If I'm honest, which I try to be always, it's the failed attempts at wooing me that bring on the discomfort.

9. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Oh. My. God. Greatwhale! You are such a GIRL!!!! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Welcome to the world of why women prefer women!!! (just kidding - it's really about their soft skin and sexy bodies) but that whole "Hey, I'm into you, wanna get it on?" thing doesn't hurt in helping us poor uninformed, naive girls find their way to the better side!

Sorry, I'm laughing too hard to offer the real, solid, responsible advice that is truly lodged there in my head. I'll have to get back to you tomorrow with that. For now, I'm going to go pour myself another glass of wine and get back to tumblr.

:wink:

10. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

:roflmao: (!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

11. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :roflmao:

Yes, DB...I was bracing myself for that particular comment! :grin:

A man is a man...he wants me, he better show it with at least a little panache! :rolle:

12. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Well then, I'm happy that I did not disappoint. :thumbsup:

And just an fyi - I am absolutely coming back to this issue later, with my serious hat on. I have some very specific thoughts on this and would love to discuss them, but it's been a rough morning and I haven't got the brainwidth to do it justice right now. But rest assured, I shall return!

13. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Looking forward to it! :icon_wink

P.S. do you think it was getting my ear pierced that did this to me??

14. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Hey there Geedub! I know you've been waiting with bated breath for me to come back to this thread, and I have to apologize. It's been a crazy week, but I really wanted to give this topic the attention it is due, because I think it's a problem that permeates our society - and I'd like to do my own little part to help minimize it as much as humanly possible.

It seems you've been on the receiving end of male sexual entitlement. Not much fun, is it? I would be willing to guess that you are not alone in this among gay males and I can certainly assure you that you are definitely not alone when considering the women that have to deal with this, no matter their personal sexual orientation. It's a problem that results in horrific acts and I can only imagine that the pressure would be even worse among some gay men. Society dictates (well, no, not really, more like suggests) that where a woman is concerned, a man display at least a modicum of consideration, but how many men, when with another man, would just assume that because of his maleness, he shares this entitlement to take what he desires.

But the truth is, no one is ever owed sex – not when they’re nice, not when they’re domineering, not when they’re manipulative, not when they’re attractive, and definitely not just because they’re a man. So, I'll tell you the same things that I've been telling my two teenage sons, in hopes they never find themselves in a similar situation - either as perpetrator or recipient. You may want to hang an OSHA-style warning wherever you may entertain men, or create a reproduction in business card format to distribute to potential partners. :wink:

Nothing short of enthusiastic, affirmative consent means yes. Don't wait for a definitive no, wait for an enthusiastic yes. A "Yes! Yes! Yes! For God's sake YES!" is a clear pass. A half-hearted, "OK, if you want" is NOT.

As Dr. Nerdlove wrote on Getting A Yes (Instead of Avoiding A No) - The Standard of Enthusiastic Consent | Paging Dr. NerdLove, "The focus on an unambiguous yes (or a “give it to me!" or “I want you right the f*ck now”… you get the idea) cuts out any murkiness around the idea of whether somebody is consenting. It’s hard to mistake a “please f*ck me”, after all. It simplifies the issue rather nicely. Didn’t get a “Yes”? You don’t have sex. End of."

That about sums it up. I'll just step down now. :soapbox:

#14 Dragonbait, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2013
  15. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I. Love. This. Thank you for taking the time to say this so well, so I don't have to think through how to say it well!

And Mr. Whale? It seems to me that you are a gentleman of integrity. (No, don't bother to give me that self-deprecating BS...you can't change how you seem to me.) You know who you are, what you want, and what you don't want (at least now, if not in the long term). Go with those feelings, and you can't go wrong. You already know this...just do it with confidence. But palimpsest hit it on the head...communicate openly...let him know what you want and what you don't. Ah, but then too, bear in mind the other thing that women need to realize but too seldom do: if you deem a person to be too surface, too much about the physical, lacking in panache, or just a bad communicator...you will not ever change that in them. No amount of talking to them about it, complaining about it, or (god forbid) begging will ever change them. They either have it or they don't...so use good judgment at the outset.

16. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

When I saw a follow-up post to my own, I had to revisit to read, and happened to notice, in the process, how incredibly sexist I sounded in the bolded areas above. I've read enough profiles on one dating site to know that there are quite a number of women who would classify as thinking themselves sexually entitled as well, but truly just meant this in terms of the context that Greatwhale presented it. As his personal experience with another man. I do recognize that this is not indicative of ALL men, nor is it a trait exclusive to the male sex. Unfortunately, as I wrote, it is a widespread problem in our society today and should be tackled on all fronts, equally.

17. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for your thoughts, DB and biA!

I must have been lucky. I have only recently learned the statistics on gay rape and abuse. They are disturbing, but I have not had to deal with that and I hope I never will.

Part of it could simply be that I'm a fairly strong and tall guy and I put it out there, in my demeanor, that any such behaviour would be a non-starter with me. Any attempt at violence would be swiftly met with retaliation, the likes of which they will not like.

To paraphrase Dan Savage (who I trust more or less to comment appropriately on these matters), he stated that infidelity is highest among gay men, less among bisexuals, and still less amongst lesbian couples. He went on to say that clearly the problem is dick.

It gets complicated by the fact that it is two guys who are contemplating going further. It has been my experience that getting to sex is (generally) just easier said and done (too quickly usually). Part of it is that it has become easier to do so, and part of it is because it has happened and continues to happen in the closeted shadows, where time is of the essence.

Which brings me to my next point. My chief complaint is that I would like to see guys try a little harder to make getting to the Goal more interesting (I don't know if it's as prevalent amongst lesbian couples). My first, for lack of a better phrase, "long-term relationship" which started in May and ended in mid-June was actually a bit as it should have been, we didn't get to sex until about 3 weeks into it, we teased each other, texted like crazy, really got along first, and our first time was special and memorable (I started a few threads on this at the time). It ended for other reasons, but that's what getting to know someone means.

There's artistry and improvisation that gets recruited in the dance of the woo...there's display, play, double-meanings, gifts and kindnesses, inside jokes, teasing and tenderness, turning ordinary public spaces into "the place we..."; turning an ordinary date on a calendar into "the day we...", heck I'd even appreciate a little bad poetry or any attempt to create that something out of nothing that arises out of getting to know each other, artfully.

To me, this is not "romantic" per se, it's more an attempt to make the journey to the goal just as interesting or even more interesting than the goal itself. I would even say that as this dance goes on, the Goal (sex, marriage and even "love", or what we think love is) becomes less important, and living artfully every day becomes more so. Then, in that mindset of living and loving fully and beautifully in the moment, artful sex and artful marriage become a natural part of the experience. In this mindset, every day with the other becomes a gift, until the inevitable day of letting go (death or separation), which itself can be made...beautiful.

You're right, biAnnika, there is no hope in changing someone who doesn't appreciate that dance, or all of the possibilities, but I will keep trying to find him and dating artfully is the way to do it!

#17 greatwhale, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  18. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just to go a little further on the difference between living artfully and being "romantic".

From James Ogilvy's book Living Without a Goal"

The whole romantic movement is relatively new in human history, it has and continues to cause a great deal of confusion. From notions as diverse as "The One", or "us against the world" what we think love is and what it really is are miles apart.

The main point is that love is not an endpoint, it must be created practically at every moment, artfully and with being fully and truly present for the other.

19. HopeFloats

draginbait, I love what you said about enthusiastic consent. It's a good lesson for all of us.
    And Greatwhale, I love what you said about living artfully rather than with a goal in mind. I am so happy right now - life is good. I am getting so much pleasure out of getting know and sharing time with a special woman. Time with her is a gift and I'm so grateful for it. Yes, I'd like to have sex with her. I told her yesterday I look forward to a time when we can have total privacy and not being in a hurry. Until then, I'm enjoying every moment - this time is not something to push through in a rush en route to some goal.

When I was trying to be straight, in my mid-twenties to mid-thirties, everything I did was just a means to an end. I (thought I) wanted a career, a husband, and a child. But I didn't enjoy the living on the way. Now that I am who I am- a woman in love with another woman- with a career, a child, and an exhusband, I'm really enjoying the simple pleasures in life.