1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Checked out a dating service

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greatwhale, Oct 17, 2013.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings folks,

Well I finally did it. This evening, I checked out a gay matchmaking service that was advertised in a well-known gay publication here in Montreal. Yes indeed, I have succumbed to the lovely conceit that I should be seeking professionals like myself.

Naturally, they are not cheap (a few hundred dollars) but not extravagant either. I'm still thinking about it, and it will depend on my budget. If I do go ahead it will be in December at the earliest.

Nevertheless I was intrigued. One curious thing was that this matchmaking company has been around for 17 years, but their same-sex matchmaking service has only been around for 2.

For the price, I am guaranteed 10 matches (where both I and the other person both say yes to meeting). It all sounds so alluring, not to have to muck around in the other sites and have to separate a lot of chaff from the wheat.

The most curious thing, however, was that the person who interviewed me never, not once, said the word "gay". She mentioned the name of the specific service but nothing about LGBT situations, etc. I felt almost as if I was breaking a taboo by mentioning "gay guys".

It doesn't bother me, really, they're a business, they'll get paid if I decide to go with them...and it appears that they have a decent "success" rate...hope springs eternal!

Any of you have considered doing this? What do you think about this altogether?

2. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Since this is a private conversation (Ha!) I will admit to a late night insomniac visit to a certain website this summer. Not going to share story but thinking next rental will take dogs. I'll get a couple of big dogs. Yup. Just knowing I'm gay is enough, right?!

gw-I think you should try to find a more LGBT friendly site.

3. bscott92

I used a dating service myself, and wasn't very successful....except that I did find an excellent wingman. The service didn't really have anyone who fit my profile, so they just kept setting me up on dates with as close as they could get. I met my current boyfriend when I was out one night with my wingman, so it all worked out in the end. Good luck on your venture. It might work better for you.

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My Inner Romantic is not wild about the idea of a dating service, preferring a system where two strangers meet at (say) an art gallery, and immediately feel an overwhelming wave of hopeless passion...

Past that, for me, I'm not sure how marketable I am given where I am in life. That situation becomes even more difficult with a service that runs into the hundreds of dollars. Anyone who invests that type of money is likely to be picky about whom he or she dates.

That said, I suppose dating services might be of value to some. It might help increase the chances of meeting someone.

---------- Post added 17th Oct 2013 at 07:33 PM ----------

I've had this sort of thought myself. Both about getting a dog, and also that knowing I'm gay is enough.

#4 BMC77, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  5. Greatwhale: I think there could be merits to a pay service. I'm on the iPhone app that everyone knows about (LOL), and it seems like most guys just want to chat...and chat...and chat. The guys you meet through a paid service will probably be more interested in actually following through. Gotta get their money's worth, ya'know? Good luck!

6. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Uh oh, this profile sounds exactly like the guy you were writing about in your thread last night. Good luck with that! You might want to invest in some pepper spray. Or maybe Rose will let you borrow her big dogs when you have these paying matches over. Oh! Um, that didn't come out right. Or did it?

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :roflmao:

Yeah, I guess it depends on what "following through" really means! :confused:

I'm just so fed up with the websites and other free options, I really have not had much success. I think the chief value of the dating service is that it is a third-party verification system: they take down your license number and other ID, they check that you are who you say you are, there are some background checks as well (criminal records, psychological, health, etc.).

All stuff that could make a huge difference down the line.

More importantly, they find the people who self-identify as seeking a long-term relationship. So yeah, they pay for a service, but that in itself shows a certain degree of seriousness.

(I will however keep the pepper spray option and put it in that "murse" I'm thinking of purchasing, which will have to match my earring) :grin:

8. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    GW: That's a very classy thing to do! A bit like getting your shoes bespoke hand made !! Seriously though, if the person who interviewed you has the right skills then it could really work. Look forward to hearing what follows..