1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This Sucks

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Biotech49, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Biotech49

This really doesn't have a whole lot to do with LGBT but may have to do with "late in life" for those of you with older parents. My dad was diagnosed with liver cancer today. Today is the day that I also decided that I can't go on with my current relationship. She isn't who I need her to be right now. I haven't told her this yet...

So yeah, this sucks. We will find out more on Monday as to what the prognosis is. Has anyone else here dealt with liver cancer in the family or yourself? I'm kind of the "go to" person for my family as I am the only girl, I live here, and I'm single. That and I understand mediciney and human body type stuff.

:frowning2:

2. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

(*hug*)Biotech- I'm so sorry about your Dad's diagnosis & girlfriend situation. (*hug*)

3. Biotech49

Thanks. I am SO glad I have people on here and friends who can give me physical hugs. I'm just kind of numb. I never though my GF was "the one" but I didn't think that she would just ignore my situation (admittedly she has had a furlough and two deaths to go through in the past few weeks but still).

4. Lovetoski

Lovetoski Guest

I am so sorry. My mother died of stomach CA. It had metastasized all over her body, including the liver, before she died. I wish I could offer advice or assurance. All I have is the experience that knowledge of the illness of any loved one is a gift which allows us to treat them and tell them the joy and beauty that they brought to our lives while they are still with us. ANY time with your dad is a gift. Furthermore any gf who is less than supportive... As has been said to me-- is that really a friend. I certainly am here anytime you wish to commiserate.

5. Flutters1980

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through this tough time. (*hug*)

6. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Hey Biotech. I'm sorry to say I'm not of much use to you for support or encouragement right now, maybe a bit too much of same sh*t different person? But I am all yours if you're looking for someone to commiserate. You're right, this sucks, big time! I am so sorry for your Dad and for you.

I guess all I've really got to offer are my true feelings, and right now they are most easily expressed by this:

[​IMG]

#6 Dragonbait, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2013
  7. BiPenguin

Darn. Hugs to you.

8. Biotech49

I love the pic dragonbait!

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My heart goes out to you Biotech! In all relationships there is the good and the bad, but nevertheless, relationships are key to our happiness. And happiest are those who keep trying to find love.

Just want you to know that I am thinking of you in this difficult time and hoping for the best for your Dad.

10. Biotech49

BTW, I don't know if I told anyone on EC this but I came out to my boss at work. He was very supportive. In a conversation surrounding a t-shirt I was wearing he said something very positive about the gay community and I said I was a part of that. Actually, I think he knew all along but wanted to really find out. Hahahaha...

It was the bright spot in an otherwise dreary week.

11. geode

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry to hear about your dad. Please keep us posted on his prognosis. I do not have experience with liver cancer, but my mom died of lung cancer many years ago. She lived a year and a half after diagnosis, and, as Lovetoski said, that time was incredibly precious and valuable to show each other how much we loved each other and to prepare for a future without her (my brother and I were in our early twenties).
    Sorry to hear about your girlfriend, too, and glad that your boss is accepting!

12. HopeFloats

I want to get in line to give you a hug, Biotech. I don't know anything about liver cancer. I'm so sorry about your dad's diagnosis but I'm glad you're local, as much pressure as that puts on you. It's better to be there and be able to spend the time.

That's great news about your boss. (One of my coworkers started a similar conversation with me last week and I came out to her. Even though she knew anyway, it's good to have it out in the open).

Finally, that's too bad about your girlfriend. I'd say- focus on the positives about the relationship and try to let the rest go. At least you got sexy time and experience with her, right? You'll meet someone else to share that with and who can also meet your other needs.

Thinking of you.

13. BioTech: I'm so sorry about your father. What devastating news. Try to hang in there and be strong. You've got all of us here rallying behind you. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 19th Oct 2013 at 09:20 AM ----------

Also, congrats on coming out to your boss! What COURAGE!! I only wish I could do the same.

14. Biotech49

Ah yes, sexy time and experience. Damn, she just texted me today too. She's been hiding from everyone and came out of the woodwork today. She finally acknowledged that I too am in pain. I need therapy or something. Still, I will probably walk away as much as it hurts. Arrrrghhh...

I don't know how long my dad has but from what I've read it probably isn't more than a year. I'm gonna have some pressure here as a caretaker but I'll get to be here with him and that counts a lot to me.

About the boss - I have gained SO much respect for him. He is slowly retiring and I hope the next CEO is as understanding as him. I'm pretty sure my co-workers know but I just haven't said anything to them, yet...

15. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bio, I am so sorry to hear about your father. My mothers cousin died of liver cancer. He was actually my gay role model growing up. He, his partner, and his parents went on a tour of the country after he was diagnosed and swung by to visit my family. I can't say I know much about the disease tho.

My mother was diagnosed several years ago now with a rare blood disorder. Her prognosis was not good. It really does make you appreciate the time you have with them all that much more. Luckily for us my mother has been some sort of miracle patient and has had many wonderful years since being diagnosed so I guess you never know. Its been so long I sometimes forget. It brings back those emotions again. I think I'll give her a call.

Best of luck to you and your father.

16. Elf Wynd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Um if you are numb with your Dad's situation how do you think 2 deaths make her feel?

I don't know the ins and outs of your relationship, but with a cancer diagnoses, two deaths right now is not a good time to pop the 'Let's get a divorce' load.

Stress affects different people differently... Some people are actually quite resilient and can stand up under loads of stress, others tend to fall apart at the slightest hint of stress.

Right now you both are in a very delicate place. Psychologically you are at the peak of risks when it comes to mere grief becoming a life long depression/anxiety disorder. These events are also traumas and right now both of you are at the peak of when a trauma can lead to PTSD.

I strongly suggest you remain silent for a while - settle the Cancer thing first - let her process through the grief.

Grief overload is not a good place to be.

I strongly suggest you seek a Grief Counselor type counselor to assist you in dealing with the emotional aspect of what is on your plate. Do not make rash choices, stop - breath - and allow a bit of time to go by before you act on a thought.

Death, dealing with cancer diagnosis, ending a job, ending a relationship puts a person through a 5 stage process - its often related to only the 5 Stages of Grief (as in death) but those stages apply to a lot of situations. Denial, Bargaining, Anger, Depression, Acceptance.

You both have stuff to run through this process through already.

17. Biotech49

I'm simply backing off for now and letting her communicate with me rather than me communicating with her. I'm not seeking companionship with anyone else. I honestly don't think that it would bother her a whole lot if I walked away which is why I say that I am backing off and watching to see if she follows me. I tend to guard my heart because of situations like this. I guess you could say that through this process I have reviewed our relationship and have found it wanting.

I dealt with clinical depression and, at times, suicidal tendencies most of my life and I really quite stable now even through all of this. My dad has Alzheimer's and we have watched him deteriorate already so a cancer diagnosis wasn't too much of a shock. I didn't even cry when I heard the diagnosis. A year ago I would have been jelly. Of course I am very upset at the word "cancer" but when you've already seen the devastation of a brilliant mind and a man wracked with confusion ALL of the time I think we've been through all of the grief stages already. Acceptance of this is almost a given. Not so much with my five brothers as with me because I see it every day.

I've been through therapy and I am better now because of it. My therapist was great. So, in the past two years I have been through ending a relationship (before this one), getting fired from a job (long story - it deals with intense anger), moving, and dealing with a cancer diagnosis. LOL, who knows what else. I've found that I am stronger than I thought. Never in all of my years have I been at this point. Mind you I am not unfeeling, I heave learned to realize that life happens despite what I do.

18. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Biotech, I'm so sorry about your father. My partner recently lost her father to a form of blood cancer...not the same, but I suspect similar in many ways.

But *congratulations* on coming out to your boss, and a whole separate *congratulations* on his positive response! That must feel so amazingly freeing!

*hugs*

19. Biotech49

:thumbsup: biAnnika, I smiled for the rest of the day. Incredibly freeing.

Right now, in my life, the good seems to outweigh the bad. I don't know how that happened but it did.

20. Biotech49

It has metastasized and the tumors are not resectable (cannot do surgery). I've been off work all week due to an arm injury so I've been up at the hospital quite a bit. The doctor wonders whether chemo is a smart thing to do. He says six months with chemo and who knows how long without. My mom is having a hard time handling this but she and my dad will have seen all of their sons except one in the past week. Lol -they see me every day.

GF situation is touch and go. Not working right now makes this all so surreal. So yeah, life still sucks.