1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out to my parents this weekend

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Spaceman, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Spaceman

It only took 30 years, but I'm now out to my parents. Better late than never. :icon_bigg

I drove 300 miles so I could tell them in person. In the car on the way up, I was feeling like crap in the aftermath of coming out to my wife and because I was dreading the blow I was about to deal mom and dad. Then about an hour before I arrived, I got a phone call that gave me a big emotional boost just when I needed it. It was from one of my wife's good friends… a friend my wife had confided in about my revelation a few days earlier. This friend told me she admired what I had done and said she knows how hard it must be. She said she and her husband are there for me and invited me to stop by to hang out or chat whenever I need to. Really lifted my spirits.

So, when I arrived at my childhood home, I was ready to sit my folks down and introduce them to the real me. I told them how I'd been feeling depressed for years, how my wife was struggling to figure out what was wrong and how it was slowly eroding our marriage. I told them that, after much soul searching, I had admitted the truth that I am gay.

They took it amazingly well. They knew I was driving up to tell them something big and had imagined all kinds of bad scenarios, so they were emotionally ready for a bombshell. In the past 24 hours, we've done a lot of healthy talking and they're ready to support me and my wife however they can.

So, I'm on an upswing at the end of a really crappy week. Thanks again to all my EC friends for the encouraging thoughts and words. Knowing there are people like you in the gay community makes it a club I'm proud to be a part of.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done Spaceman! What an awesome time in your life!

Crack open a bottle of champagne, go dance in a fountain...do something wild, this is a major cause for celebration! :eusa_clap (&&&) (!) (!) (!)

3. palimpsest

Congrats on taking this big step. I hope your upward swing holds well through this coming week and beyond.

4. bigeagle

Congrats spaceman, that's a huge step forward for you! It's great that your parents responded positively and you have their support. Good for you.

5. drs

drs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations! I had to tell my parents via email... Even if I had wanted to do it in person, there's no way I could have done it - physically (separated by an ocean) or emotionally.
    Glad that it worked out well for you!

6. TriBi

Good news that you have their support - how it should be :slight_smile:

7. BiPenguin

Glad it turned out for the better.

8. Amerigo

what a wonderful story to read! just what i needed. and congratulations to you!

9. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations Spaceman,
    You were able to do something I have not been able to do. I came close and chickened out the other day. I admirer you.

Sounds like your wifes friend could be a great Allie. Its wonderful your getting support from friends and family. Hopefully this week will be better.

10. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and emotions with us, Spaceman. It's good to hear that there's some sunshine peeking through the stormy clouds you've been through lately. Best wishes for more sunshine... :slight_smile:

11. onefootout

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So happy for you... It's a great thing to get it off your chest. Great job, glad it went so well for you :wink:

12. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

So happy for you Spaceman! I love hearing stories of accepting parents! You're in such a good place, I hope all your steps toward being the real you go as smoothly!

My dad is no longer alive, and I know I'll never come out to my mother. There's no way she would ever accept it and frankly she's 80 and I'm all she's got for someone willing to help her and having been entirely dependent on my dad all her life, she needs someone to help her. If she were to alienate, or worse yet, cut ties to me, she'd be helpless. And even if she were the one cutting off her nose to spite her face, I would still be the one that would live with the guilt.

So I guess I'll just have to continue to live vicariously through all of the heartwarming stories of accepting parents here on EC.

13. biggayguy

That's pretty good news! I'm glad your parents took it that well. How free do you feel right now? I hope your wife comes to accept you as you are.

14. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How wonderful for you! Having someone to support you through all this makes a world of difference. Not that we're not all behind you too, of course! Best of luck as the journey continues to unfold.

15. Gallatin

Congratulations. Really glad to hear things went well. :slight_smile:

16. SilentCreatures

Congratulations - that drive must have been a hard one for you - each mile closer the mind thinking WTF am I doing? Or... I can do this I can do this. Inspirational :slight_smile:

17. bassmaster

Thats awesome!! Glad things are going your way. :slight_smile:

18. Lindsay11

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    A very encouraging story! I admire your courage toward your wife and your parents. You deserve to be happy and this is big step forward.

O me, man of slack faith so long,
    Standing aloof, denying portions so long,
    Only aware to-day of compact all-diffused truth,
    Discovering to-day there is no lie or form of lie, and can be none,
    but grows as inevitably upon itself as the truth does upon itself,
    Or as any law of the earth or any natural production of the earth does.

Walt Whitman