1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next step to becoming a member of the gay community

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by SaleGayGuy, Oct 21, 2013.

1. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi All

After coming out to my understanding wife 6 months ago I have taken the next step to becoming a responsible guy in the gay community … A visit to my local sexual health clinic to enrol on a gay guys screening program.

I had been putting off this step for several months now partly because have not felt ready to go out and have fun with guys yet and I have been using this as a stalling ploy, partly because I feared a judgemental attitude from the health clinic, and partly because of those stories of an umbrella!!! But I could not justify putting this important step off any longer so off I went.

On arrival at the clinic I was obviously the oldest person in the waiting area which contained both men and women for a common clinic; there was no separate clinic for gay folks. I felt slightly out of place until I noticed a young teenage boy who had been brought there by his mother, I felt sorry for him because he had a look of embarrassment because he had to be accompanied by his mum combined with misguided pride because he was old enough to be doing things to give him some STD.

During the short visit the staff were very understanding and most importantly non-judgemental of my situation. I explained I have discovered late that I was gay and that I was out to my wife and had permission to play as long as it was safe. A medical history was taken and quick examination of my penis, a blood sample drawn, and my throat was swabbed, and then I was given instruction on how to stick a sample swab up my bum whilst the nurse was outside the curtains to give me privacy. NO ONE stuck anything down my pee hole and I was assured that stories of umbrellas were just stories and the very very small swabs they used to use were no longer required because of advances in testing methods. On leaving I was require to provide a small urine sample.

Since I had never had any Hepatitis jabs I was given the A and B jabs over a couple of visits. Needless to say because I have not been active with guys my results came back all clear in the form of a password protected automated telephone service which I could presumably play to any guy who wanted to know my STD status.

So all in all it was nothing to worry about and I even came away with free condoms and lube. So if you have not yet enrolled on a screening program do it now and get into the habit of making it a regular occurrence, at least every year and more frequently if you are a bed hopper or still have sex with your wife/girlfriends.

Sale Gay Guy

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for this important message, Sale.

Definitely agree, this needs to be a regular event for all of us.

3. Molly1977

welcome to the gay community, it’s so cool and inspiring that you are taking your first steps in your new life and you are lucky to have a supporting wife to help you with the decisions you need to make for your future. You are right about the sexual health clinic, it should be a priority for all of us xx

4. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks Molly

5. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi All

I took another small step yesterday; I called in at the Lesbian and Gay Federation LGF in Manchester’s gay village for a friendly chat and to get some advice on the support services they offer and the different social groups that meet there. I also discussed my concerns at going to bars in the village because of my age.

I was pointed to several groups aimed at newly out guys, married guys, and older guys so I will have to give a few of them a try out. They also allayed my concerns about security and walking about the village late at night, they have a volunteer security / police presence called the Village Angels. Keeping safe while visiting Canal Street | Information & Advice | Home

When I pluck enough courage to venture out to one of those groups I will let you know how I went on.

Sale Gay Guy

6. CupcakeKisses

That's awesome! Congrats on taking the next step! :slight_smile: I wish there was something like the village angels where I am.

7. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks CupcakeKisses

I was expecting to find it a struggle walking through the door but when it came down to it I just walked straight up to it without caring who might have seen me either in the gay village or at the front door of the office. I think being able to do this gave me a moral boost and reaffirmed my identity, I am starting to feel more at home walking round the gay village.

Sale Gay Guy

8. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats, Sale Gay Guy! Walking through the door of an LGBT organization the first time may be intimidating, but after a few trips through that door, you get the feeling that this is your place, that you belong here, that you truly belong somewhere for the first time, without pretending. That is empowering.

9. D43054

Great job! There are so many 'scary' firsts in this transition in our lives... Sometimes the daily public things get lost to the angst we feel about talking to our loved ones. I congratulate you on your continued courage in your journey.

10. flatlander48

Some years ago when my second wife and I were dating, she asked me to be checked for HIV. I delayed for a while, but eventually I thought that it really made sense to do it. Anyway, the medical person that I dealt with was very professional and pleasant. She probably sensed a bit of initial reluctance on my part, but she maintained her tone and kept eye contact. In a few minutes I relaxed quite a bit and we proceeded with no issues. Hopefully people come to the realization that making things difficult doesn't do anything for anybody...