1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Work crush" becoming much more

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by HopeFloats, Oct 25, 2013.

1. HopeFloats

A couple of months ago I posted about having a crush on an older lesbian at my office. Initially I knew she was in a LTR with another woman, but neither of us had even acknowledged being gay. When I finally came out to her in late summer, she reciprocated and mentioned having a partner. She also offered to try to set me up with someone. I thought that might help me get over her. But about a month later, after I changed jobs, we exchanged some risqué texts, which necessitated a conversation about boundaries. I told her my sole but deal-breaker issue was that she had a partner. We tried to keep it professional but the flirting and desire to communicate increased. We had to have a longer conversation. We confessed our feelings for each other. We didn't want to act on those feelings. She really wanted to be aboveboard. Long story short, she told her partner of 17 years about her feelings for me and desire to date me. This was prior to us even holding hands. They started therapy. I told her we couldn't talk at all but went back on that. We have continued to email and text and see each other at lunch. This week we actually severed our professional relationship to clear the way ethically for a personal relationship. I've just been waiting for her to move out. (We haven't had sex or even spent longer than an hour together at a time, and then only in public.) I realize that her ending such a long relationship to just date me seems crazy and it puts an inordinate amount of pressure on out potential relationship. But we are really drawn to each other. I've never felt anything like this. I did have sex with my exgf when she came to visit at Labor Day but I thought about this woman all the time. I tried to date someone I met online but had to tell that woman I was hung up on someone else. Her partner has maligned me as being really straight just because I recently came out. For having a small child and looking for a sugar mama. She said that she rejects all those arguments. Anyway I am writing today because things came to a head between them today. They are either moving out of their house today (one or both of them) or the partner will convince her to stay (and stop contacting me.) I have no control over that but have to wait it out.

I never meant to fall for a woman in a relationship. Likewise she did not mean to fall for me. I never knew the feelings were reciprocated. And I feel terrible for her partner.

When I posted about this before, I was told to stay away from her. I am aware of the "bad karma." My in person friends warned me to stay away until / unless she left her partner. I can't believe that might be happening as I type.

#1 HopeFloats, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  2. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

(*hug*)The heart wants what it wants! Hope it works out for you!

3. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Oh Hope. The waiting is excrutiating! Been there, done that, don't envy you in the least! Be sure to keep us posted, we'll be on the edge of our collective seats.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oy Vey...What a story, I hope all three of you find peace and yes, keep us posted!

5. zuluk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you cant have her, how about changing workplaces?

6. Biotech49

Oh damn! The waiting is the hardest part. I've seen it happen to me (I was the loser) and others but I've also seen things work out very well for the "other one". Whatever happens it will be for the best.

7. GayNerd

Ah, waiting. It can be a b*tch, but we must wait. I hope everything turns out good for you 3. Please keep us up-to-date. :slight_smile:

8. HopeFloats

I just wrote a really long response and it disappeared. Darn iPhone navigation.

I'm still waiting. Neither of them left tonight. They took almost the whole day off work to discuss and see the therapist.

Waiting is the worst. But my potential gf says her feelings and intentions for me haven't changed. She asked if I was going anywhere. I said no. I am ok with that, for now. But I don't know how long.

---------- Post added 25th Oct 2013 at 09:38 PM ----------

That sounds ominous. I have strong feelings for her and very much hope to explore that by having a relationship. But I'm not going to be this close to the drama forever. She needs to sort out her current relationship. I gave her some pointed advice on that, advice that may not have come out well.

9. HopeFloats

I'm trying to sort out my current role. She needs space to deal with her STBX but also wants reassurances that I am still me and I'm not going anywhere. She is staying at a friend's tonight, for how long, I don't know. I am treading water, doing my normal things - trying to enjoy mothering my daughter, seeing friends, doing Halloween activities. But my heart is so full and I'm constantly thinking about her.

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This waiting must be absolutely unbearable! We're thinking of you!

11. Femme

Oh wow, now I can see where your comments to my post have come from.

The waiting must be so distressing. Keep us posted and best of luck!

12. HopeFloats

She left their house yesterday and is staying with a friend. She's coming over to my house for the first time tonight. I'm really excited. But also it seems surreal, like I won't believe it until it happens.

13. Femme

So far so good.

14. HopeFloats

She says she's ready to be public about dating me. I asked her to go to something at my church next week and she said yes. That is good.
    I am upset about the amount of contact she's still having with the woman she just left. So we are going to have a big conversation about expectations tomorrow. We've already emailed and discussed in on the phone. But we need to talk in person.

15. jessisgurl1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Hope, will try to be brief. I was like the girl you fell for. I was in a relationship for 23 years that was more about convenience than love and it could be the same here. I was 46 before I fell in love and even though I wasn't looking to fall in love, thank god I did. I lost alot of years and have alot of regrets so just think, she may feel the same way and see you as having a chance at love. Do not try to feel guilt here because you may be saving her life like my girl did for me k.

16. HopeFloats

Jessisgurl1... Thank you so much for your comment.

The feelings between me and this woman are so strong. I mean it wasn't rational for her to have confessed her feelings for me to her partner of almost 20 years and then separate from her without any guarantee that it will work out between us - it's not rational / logical but love rarely is.

She feels guilty and I think her agreements with regard to the amount of contact with her (ex? Estranged?)partner despite the separation are motivated by that. I've encouraged her to see a counselor individually so she can be clear about what she wants and what she is willing to do for her ex. I want to avoid letting guilt poison what we are developing. I have faith that we can avoid letting that happen - with lots of communication.

Despite all of these details, I am unbelievably happy.

17. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can I be real practical here?

How certain are you that she is the one for you? Is this sort of a first love for you, in the sense of actively affirming a true affectional preference that you've come to terms with?

How certain is she that you are the one for her? Meaning, what does she say about you that indicates she is more into you than who she is currently with? When someone leaves someone they've been with for some 20 years, the new person (you) had to have something that has wowed her.

I think these are legitimate questions and, sheez, I'm not trying to sound like you're dad. LOL. The reason I bring it up is because I've seen defections to be with another person work ... and not work. BTW, is her current partner closer to your age or roughly the age of the woman you're interested in?

I wish everyone the best. Never in my life have I been in a situation where someone was encumbered. I just considered them "off the market" and walked away, but that's just me. I tend to be a minimalist on many levels.

18. HopeFloats

I had relationships with women when I was in my late teens and twenties, when I identified as bi, before I married and divorced a man. So it's not like she's the first woman I've fallen for. My first love was a woman and first adult relationship was with a woman.

This woman and I connect on so many levels. I've never had a relationship with someone, make or female, who was a Christian in more than name. We both are involved in out churches. Being able to talk about that is amazing. We are both attorneys. We connect intellectually and enjoy talking about that. I love the way her mind works. We place the same value on family relationships. Her relationship with her mother is like mine with my mother. Same with extended family. We have complimentary interests in books and music, etc. I feel unbelievably connected to her. I think it's safe to say that we wowed each other.

To me it's telling that her long time friends are actually happy for her and for us. She and her partner had problems long before she met me. Of course it would've been cleaner for them to have parted ways before we met, but that's not what happened. We have tried to make this as above board as possible. I mean she told her partner about me before we'd even brushed hands accidentally. We had grown close over two years of working together. So we had a lot of conversations and knew each other well. We knew we wanted to explore our feelings and attraction for each other. But we couldn't do that while she was with her partner. That's what I meant about this not being rational.

One positive development is that the couples counselor they've been seeing - who will now help them convert the separation into a permanent split- has helped them both understand that their core differences are at issue, apart from me. I think that helps with the guilt factor.

The woman she's separated from is 10 years older than her. I'm 12 years younger. So I'm 22 years younger than her STBX.

I understand everyone's concerns and doubts. In many ways we are living out a familiar tale. I'm in the role of the younger other woman. But I think we are doing our best to write the plot we want. There are no guarantees about the outcome. But I am enjoying being able to talk about her and date her openly very much.

---------- Post added 2nd Nov 2013 at 04:15 PM ----------

I didn't even mention the insane physical attraction. It's off the charts.

19. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Sounds amazing, Hope, like the dream we've all expressed one way or another.
    I wish you the best with it. It always makes me happy when I hear that someone has actually found that person who makes their heart sing!

20. Quest2

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The relationship you have described sounds like one that will truly work. You have gotten to know each other gradually over two years, making solid connections. You have given each other space to be sure you are making the right decision.
    You sound like you have something special, I wish you all the luck in the world!