1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In D.C. this week, meeting someone there

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greatwhale, Oct 28, 2013.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings folks,

I'll be travelling for business to Washington, DC, in the next couple of days and I have arranged to meet someone interesting (in his late 40's), tomorrow evening after my work is done (some American guys can be really cute!).

I can only assume that the guy is OK with the potential for a LDR...not so sure I am, but I am always open to possibilities...I also hope he understands that I have a no-sex-on-the-first-serious-date policy...:rolle:

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe he'll go with your policy ... or maybe you'll forget!

We're all ears for a full report.

3. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

:lol: I was a little thrown by your wording here, Greatwhale. The first time I read it, my brain interpreted it as, "I have a serious policy about not having sex on a first date." to which I was ready to respond, "Then you should absolutely make that clear up front, before you even meet with him."

But then I re-read what you'd actually written and realized my mistake. :lol: So it's a policy that states you will not have sex on a first date if the date is a serious date? Is it the person that makes it serious, the phase of the moon, high holy days? What quantifies it as a serious date?

And better yet, I'm sure this man (you'll have to let me know if he's a gentleman) would be as intrigued as I to know what then would quantify a date as a FUN one, which I would then assume involves lots of crazy hot monkey sex? :thumbsup:

:roflmao:

(Oh how I love the subtleties of language!)

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. HopeFloats

6. penguin machine

Sometimes it's better to see where things go than to orchestrate big plans about what you won't do. The moment is yours take it, feel it out, and have no regrets. Come back to Canada with an exciting new story to tell :slight_smile:

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    GW - sometimes if you're in a location for a short while, you'll find that "strike while the iron is hot" turns out to be the mantra. You're a big boy, now, so I don't need to remind you to proceed carefully, on various levels.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely, thanks for your concern! Hence the guideline...I mean policy... :icon_redf

9. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know... reading this I come to realise I must be the most boring guy on EC, because when I think of a fun first date, I think "ooh, we could check if there's an interesting art exhibit, or we could compare our opinion on books we both read! Or maybe we could be totally wild and go to... the opera! And maybe, maybe... I'll just let him... touch my hand!"

In any case, I wholeheartedly endorse any policies you may or may not espouse. Do take care and have fun! D.C. is an awesome place regardless, I've found.

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well Filip you and I are in complete agreement, :grin: I have every intention of keeping it decent and fun (still trying to get my mind around what "lots of crazy hot monkey sex" looks like...:confused:).

P.S. this weekend my younger son and I had a laugh when we imagined what the "Air and Space" museum must be: a very big, empty building with lots of air inside... :dry:

11. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Don't be alarmed, boys. My fantasy first date would be in a tea shoppe with really great custom blended loose leaf, discussing Regency era literature and modern music over a cuppa. And at this point, the sad fact is that I can't even get up the guts to do that much, despite being invited to just such an outing.

Luckily for the sheer purpose of providing entertainment to all my friends here on EC, I have regular exposure to college students and have discovered that the Urban Dictionary is a tremendous resource to help me understand all that I overhear.

Oh, and Greatwhale? Air & Space is amazing! If you have time it's a definite "must see" as is (my personal favorite) The National Gallery of Art.

Enjoy!!!

12. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really - a nice frothy movie followed by a nice frothy cup of coffee would be wonderful. I'm not fussy.

13. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely a lot of frothiness there!

(don't know just how frothy I will feel when I need to be at the airport at 4:30 AM tomorrow morning. There was a bomb scare at the US customs at the airport here over the weekend, and we're flying to DC...I'll be surprised if they don't start full body cavity searches...and no...nope, uh-uh; I will NOT comment any further on where this mind-image is probably taking you!) :eusa_naug

14. SilentCreatures

Crazy hot monkeys - I just get this image of Monkeys running across a dessert to the mirage in the distance of an igloo. All the while going "ooh aah oooh aah oooh" as the sand burns their feetsies

ok overactive imagination mode tonight - save me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

have a wonderful time GW

15. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, plenty of froth....My wife and I got together in the middle of angst over parents and her husband #1's drinking and abuse. We never so much dated as had mutual therapy sessions. When I finally get my second chance, I'm starting with light-hearted fun! And if things go well, the froth theme could be continued at a later date...with a little Reddi-Wip, perhaps? :icon_bigg

16. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, what an insight! Goes to the whole myth that finding a significant other is so that we can be healed in some way, or *facepalm* "completed".

:***: that romantic :***:!

The more I think of it, the more I realize that a relationship means sharing reality in the present moment, which is the only reality. Two people deciding independently to share a gaze in the same direction to be in the room with the same clock, as it were, and helping each other meet the challenges of life.

Hugh MacLennan, a very famous Canadian author from Montreal, had this to say about relationships that are anything less than this:

“Love, sought as an escape from the burden of the self, turns rapidly into a captivity.”
    ― Hugh MacLennan, The Watch that Ends the Night

17. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

WOW! Sums up my entire marriage. Truer words never spoken.

18. DMark69

Enjoy DC, I was just out there last week, and it was not a long enough trip, but always fun.

19. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Yup! Mine too! :bang:

20. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well we had a nice meal in the hotel restaurant, he is even cuter in real life than his picture, and soft-spoken, which was encouraging, at the beginning. Nevertheless, there is no denying that there wasn't much of a "zing" in our encounter. I don't think it will go beyond this evening.

There seemed to be a real sadness in him. He still mourns a 6 year relationship that ended fully 2 years ago (he said that a 6-year relationship in the gay world is like a 12-year relationship in the hetero-world... :dry:slight_smile:.

He mentioned something interesting about his sense of self (my thème du jour), that he felt somewhat at a loss to know who he was since the breakup; he felt he needed to be with someone to understand himself, to see himself reflected in another. How relevant to that quote from MacLennan and the burden of the self! I didn't delve into the reason for the breakup, but I wonder if being a mirror to someone else is just too much for anyone to handle...

I sensed a great deal of loneliness in him, it was just difficult to get him to open up or come up with things to say. Oh well, not much will come of this, sad to say, but that's life and dating...

Flying back home tomorrow! :slight_smile: