1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volunteering for a Gay Hotline

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greatwhale, Oct 30, 2013.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings folks,

Stuck at the airport until the flight leaves here at 10 PM...6 hours from now...:tears: (not too many flights between Montreal and DC)

Anyhoo, just reporting that I got accepted to volunteer for a gay hotline here in Montreal called "Gai Ecoute" literally meaning "gay listen".

Again, this is part of keying in to this community, and now my community, in Montreal, lending an ear a few nights a month to issues that crop up in gay relationships, or any other crises. This will also include not only phone but online responses as well.

I certainly credit my time here at EC as giving me some rather valuable experience in understanding what some of the issues are.

Seven months ago, if someone told me I'd be doing this, I'd be rolling on the floor laughing my ass off...:slight_smile:roflmao:slight_smile:.

2. penguin machine

I think that's really admirable of you. I hope you get some opportunities to make a positive impact in some lives :slight_smile: I hope you'll let us know how it goes!

3. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What a great idea - that's on my to-do list a bit further down the road as well. We later-in-life types have a unique viewpoint - we have the wisdom (or at least I hope so!) of our years, but our experiences are so much fresher than someone in their 50's who has been out for 30 years. I know I don't really have to tell you this, but please share with us how it goes!

4. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think this is incredible.

I dunno yet, but I think I would love to do something like this.
    Maximum respect. Please share any stories and experiences that you feel like, I'd be really interested :slight_smile:

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the encouragement!

There will be some quite intensive training, about 4 days' worth starting this Saturday, plus I will never be alone. They normally get 5 to 6 calls a night, but sometimes no calls, which is fine too; being on duty feels worthwhile either way.

One thing that will be different is the focus on listening, and, frankly, fighting the instinct to offer advice (all you soon-to-be-former-husbands know of what I speak).

I will definitely keep you posted, of course within the limits of confidentiality.

6. SilentCreatures

Way to go - I did this in the past as well. During the training I learned a lot about myself as well and it's something I would recommend anyone to do, regardless if they wanted to be a volunteer or not. The listening will get easier in time, the intrinsic feeling to offer advice is difficult to stop. You can do it :slight_smile: And you'll be wonderful at it too.

7. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ooooh yeah. Even when someone actually ASKS for it!!!!

8. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Proud of you gw!!! (*hug*):thumbsup:(!)

9. dahlia

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think what you are doing is wonderful, Greatwhale. I called a LGBT hotline when I was beyond feeling lost and so alone. I needed to tell someone. The voice on the other end spoke to me in such a caring, genuine way and that alone gave me great comfort. I think as a compassionate person, it is natural to want to help someone through their pain. So a few suggestions were offered but basically the angel on the other end of the phone just listened. Listened and comforted me. He helped me hear my own voice...which has been silenced for way too long. This change in my life, at this point in my life, is so scary but I'm excited too. I'm taking baby steps at this point and am so thankful to that person that picked up the phone that night. So, many, many thanks to you and the others that are there for us, simply because you care.

10. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you Greatwhale on behalf of every LGBT and questioning person out there

11. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Kudos to you Greatwhale! I say it all the time, volunteerism is the way to go.
    And what better way to do it than offer your skills and talents as a gift to a cause that is close to your heart.

You're going to be an incredible asset to the organization and your community!

12. Spaceman

Way to go GW! A volunteer at the main national gay hotline here in the US was the first person I ever came out to. He turned out to be even "later in life" than me and was a real help. (Side story... I actually bought a prepaid cell phone just to make the call since I was so paranoid about being discovered. Not having to worry about secrecy so much has been one early benefit of starting to come out.)

Anyhow, I called the hotline again a few weeks later when I was down and got another really helpful volunteer. I know whoever is lucky enough to get you on the line will be in good hands.

13. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm truly overwhelmed by your kind words!

I'm also deeply encouraged by hearing of the positive impact this has had on others who were going through troubled times and decided to reach out. I hope I can be nearly as helpful!

14. Lindsey23

That is really awesome. I think you would be great at it too. I know I appreciate how insightful you are in your posts. You're going to help a lot of people.

15. Bear101

I'm actually a certified life coach and I know how hard it is to not give advice, but to let others come up with their own solutions. Maybe someday, I can go back to that and work with some gay clients.

16. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You definitely should!

17. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Perhaps during the quiet times you might be able to log onto EC and help people here instead? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. geode

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Greatwhale, this sounds really good--I know you will be great at it because you always have such helpful things to say here. I'm glad to hear that they give you a lot of training. I tried to call a hotline a few times early last summer, but always got voice mail--I seem to recall they had pretty limited hours and were on the other side of the country.

19. SilentCreatures

Please keep us updated on how it goes.

:grin:

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you will be good at this. You're worldly and empathetic, and I hope you can continue to see things through many lenses, as you do, because I am sure the calls will come in from left field and right field, and sometimes be stressful. I know you will consider each caller's context differently, and know that one size doesn't fit all.

I think this will offer fulfillment to you, in helping others and being involved. I also think you'll probably wind up befriending some of the fellow volunteers. Other than the stress, it's a win-win.

Right, flights between DC/YUL tend to be little regional jets, last having done that one from your fair city on US Air (or United or AC) into Dulles to await another connection. Cheer up, it's a short hop, and say:
    "There's no place like home." "There's no place like home." "There's no place like home."