1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being a Mentor, etc...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Biotech49, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Biotech49

When I was a teacher I was appointed to newer teachers to be a mentor to them. I did this for three years before I quit teaching. I enjoyed teaching but the rest of the crap that came with it was unbearable.

I have a friend who has just come out and I am "mentoring" her now. It's great to be a teacher again. LOL

GF status has improved. I think she is suffering from depression. I know exactly where she is mentally and we are cool.

My dad has decided not to do chemo and the oncologist says as soon as a month or up to five. The tumor is aggressive and has metasticized. My five brothers and I have begun ideas for a eulogy. We were laughing so hard this morning (over FB messaging of course).

2. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

So glad to hear that you are laughing Bio! Laughter is the second greatest validation of life!
    :wink:

3. geode

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm glad to hear about your girlfriend. Is she getting treatment? I'm sorry to hear about your dad's prognosis. It's good that you and your brothers are working on a eulogy and including humor. My mom died when I was 24, and my brother and I tried to have input into what the preacher at her dad's rural Baptist church would say during the service. Unfortunately, he ignored what we told him and instead said that he was sure she would have come to have a relationship with Jesus if she'd lived. Umm, no, she wouldn't have...

4. Biotech49

My dad is agnostic and he is going to be cremated. I don't even think we are going to have a preacher so it may be just relatives speaking at his memorial service. We haven't looked into it yet. He would want humor!

My brother mentioned how good my dad was when he got his DUI (at age 19). I mentioned how good my dad was when I came out (at age 49). He is such a great dad! We are already missing chunks of him due to dementia but he still has his sense of humor and he passed it on to us (not as good mind you but we try).

GF isn't getting treatment but it might not be as bad as mine was. She is in a hidey hole place. We text every day and that is good enough for me right now.

5. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Biotech49

Sorry to hear that your dad is nearing the end of his life. When my dad was in a similar position and not really being a religious person we discussed a Humanist non-religious service, perhaps you could look at that option if they are available in your part of the world.

Thinking of you

Sale Gay Guy

6. Biotech49

There is a UU church here. My boss is a UU and I might ask what options they have for folks like my dad.

7. Biotech49

Mentee is going on her first lesbian date tonight. Woot!

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Sorry to hear about your dad and that he is nearing the end of his life. (*hug*)

Great to hear though that you can be a mentor again. And from the sounds of it, you are a very good one to that. It's funny how often we find ourselves using our past experiences to help others in quite different situations. Hope your mentee had a first good date.

9. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Peace to your dad....Mine was a difficult sort of guy, but when I did his eulogy I was surprised at how many funny stories I was able to come up with about him, like how he got his driver's license in 1952, and came to a complete stop at a stop sign perhaps 8 times in the 35-40 years of driving since then....never used turn signals because he "learned how to drive on a Kaiser and it didn't have any"....but also recalled him whizzing around town in how electric wheelchair after losing his legs, always bringing along a box of treats for all the dogs along his route. I wish my siblings had wanted to participate in that.

Best of luck with everything else going on. Life is certainly never boring, is it?