1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Police.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by BackgroundXtra, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Hi everyone,

I have a story to tell from tonight. It may seem simple, but it had a strong impact on me.

Tonight, I got on the road to drive to our local gay bar, Icon's. As I was exiting the interstate, I noticed a row of orange cones lined up ahead. I didn't know what they were for at first. Then, I saw a big sign that said "DUI CHECKPOINT."

I hadn't had anything to drink, so I wasn't worried about being arrested. However, interacting with a police officer in any context makes me jittery.

I was the fourth car in line. When the police officer finally arrived at my window, he shined a flashlight into my eyes (to check for bloodshot pupils). The light was hot on my face, and was so bright that I couldn't see the officer. I could only hear his voice.

First, he said "Have you had anything to drink tonight, sir?"

I said, "No, officer."

Then, he said, "Where are you headed tonight, sir?"

I panicked, and my mouth got dry. Under ordinary circumstances, I would never have admitted to anyone, much less a member of law enforcement, that I was on my way to a gay bar!

I already felt judged. I was wearing a tight yellow T-shirt, had an earring in my left ear, and my hair was gelled up.

I couldn't think of any other bar names to say on the spot. I gulped. The light was still hot on my face.

Finally, I took a breath and said, "I'm heading to Icon's, sir."

I looked away when I said it, but...I did say it.

To my surprise, the officer replied very mechanically, "Icon's? Okay, sir. Enjoy the rest of your night."

WHEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW.

I felt SUCH a weight off my shoulders as I drove away. I couldn't believe I'd just announced to a pillar of the community that I was going to a gay bar! I just know that I would've felt like a sell-out if I'd lied. I would've been very disappointed in myself.

Again, I know that this is a thin story to have taken up so much space. But I am so proud of myself and feel like I'm growing out of my former oppressive shell.

#1 BackgroundXtra, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2013
  2. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Shoulda said "mind your business."

3. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like that would go well. Especially the way cops can be nowadays.

Anyway, it's really great that you kept true to yourself and didn't back down. Even if it's something small like that, it still counts and makes you feel great. :thumbsup:

4. Nick07

That's not "a thin story" at all! :slight_smile:

5. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well done, such a positive reinforcement of your own identity and a reminder that you are fortunate to be living in a largely free and accepting society, guys in other parts of the world would not be so lucky.

You never know; that police officer may have also been going to the same bar later! :icon_bigg

Sale Gay Guy

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly! I mean I just LOOOVE a guy in uniform! :grin:

I love your stories Background! I think you've inadvertently found the Lake Woebegone of the gay world!

7. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

:thumbsup:Great story!
    10 dancing bananas for you!!!!!
    (!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

8. PeteNJ

Proud of you for being authentic at the checkpoint... talk about living an out gay authentic life~!

So now -- tell us about the rest of the night :icon_bigg

9. SilentCreatures

Woohoo - it's amazing how we make ourselves feel bad for being normal.

Kudos to you - who knows the policeman might have thought - now there's a brave guy

or even better... (hmm I might go there after work) ok my wild imagination takes control again... maybe it's the uniform thing.

10. link4816

I like your story very much.

You should know, however, that it was inappropriate for the police officer to ask you where you were going. That question exceeded the scope of the officer's authority to stop you at the checkpoint. You may have politely declined to answer the question, and to keep the officer in check, you probably should have.

11. Biotech49

:roflmao: Awesome! Maybe the cop just wanted to know if you were gay? LOL :thumbsup:

12. HopeFloats

Congratulations for owning it, Bx! I also want to hear about the rest of the night... See anyone from the grocery store?

To the previous commenter, it's been quite a few years since law school, but I disagree about that being beyond the scope if the officer's authority.

13. Nick07

:lol::lol::lol:

God, this is so true.

So, I googled it, but I still don't get it. :lol: What did you mean by that? :icon_bigg

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations. It sounds like this was a big step for you, owning who you are and being yourself with a stranger, and one in an authority position, no less!

It feels really good when we just let ourselves be seen and don't worry about judgment, doesn't it?

15. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry, I misspelled it!

Lake Wobegon is a mythical village invented by Garrison Keillor, the creator of the radio show A Prairie Home Companion, and in it Keillor reports the News from Lake Wobegon on the radio show (hilarious).

Here are some famous characteristics of the town (from Wikipedia):

In Keillor's weekly monologue about Lake Wobegon, there are recurring monologue descriptions of the town:

The opening words of the monologue usually are: "Well, it's been a quiet week in Lake Wobegon, Minnesota, my hometown, out there on the edge of the prairie."

Lake Wobegon is characterized as "the little town that time forgot, and the decades cannot improve."

The closing words of the monologue are "Well, that's the news from Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average."

16. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Greatwhale, I'm so happy to know that you have a firm grip on the average American citizen!
    :lol: (sarcasm intended)