1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trying to get psyched up

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by palimpsest, Nov 4, 2013.

1. palimpsest

So, I will start with a good report. My came out to my best friend from high school yesterday and it went splendidly. Crap, he even teared up and said "what can I say, you will always just be S**** (insert my name) to me." Gave me a big bear hug and was nothing but supportive. Turns out, he has been expecting his son to come out for a while now, which of course, may or may not happen, but he is ready with open arms. No, this friend is decidedly not gay, but he is a good friend as you can plainly see.

Now, the dilemma. I am having lunch with my dad tomorrow. I have a weight I want to get off of my conscious. Most of my issues around trust and authority have to do with a nasty divorce, or three, that I lived through as a kid. My parents didn't do anything nasty deliberately, but it was really nasty for me just the same. We have grown distant for other reasons. It bothers me. I really want to have parents that I can just talk to at this point in my life. If I don't tell him, we will absolutely grown farther apart because I am already feeling more and more distant from anyone in my circle of friends and family who don't know that I'm gay. Takes too much energy to pretend, God I don't know how I did it for so long as it is. I want to take the chance to see, at least on my side, how this could all go.

My mom will have to come later and that will be much more complicated. I just dropped the double bomb of we are likely moving to Vermont and I'm not a conservative :icon_bigg, so please stop telling me what someone said on Fox News :bang:. My stepdad didn't take that so well, but that's ok, the best is yet to come :eusa_danc.

Back to the pep talk, I will make to promises EC, to you or to myself, but if I can get up the nerve and do it, I think I'll be happier (or at least relieved) for it. So far I've come out with little risk involved. To my brothers and closest friends. My wife has told her brother and closest friends. Not too much risk. But this, for me, this feels both necessary and risky. I hope that tomorrow is the right day. I'll let you know.

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good luck with this. Opening up on just one front can potentially melt a lot of father/son barriers. I hope whatever you decide to do goes well.

3. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Proud of you Pal!!! My view is whatever happens with your family you can go to your best friend w/tears of Joy- relief or sad-relief. Praying for the joy!!

#3 Rose27, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2013
  4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll echo Bingostring and agree that approaching your father will be the right thing to do. Don't beat around the bush. if you can say it in the first sentence(s) of your conversation, you will get that out of the way quickly and then the heart-to-heart can begin in earnest.

5. tommyj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would just say that if you feel it's the right time when you meet your dad, then you should do it. It can get complicated with with close family, but if you want to be the person you know you are then it will have to be done sometime. On the other hand if there are indicators that show that it might be the right time, then maybe you should wait. Clear as mud eh? I guess I wan't too much help.

My throughts are with you either way. Keep us updated on the progrgress!

6. bassmaster

Good luck buddy! Things always have a way of working out just fine even though we think the worst. In the end you'll prob wonder why you thought about it so much :wink:

7. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good luck with your father. I hope all goes well. Sounds like this is a great opportunity for your friend to make a safe, comfortable space for his son should he need to come out.

8. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Palimpsest - have faith. You're strong and confident and you know yourself.It's time you let your father know that incredible person too.

Good luck, we'll all be sending our best thoughts to you today (&&&)

And just remember... be absolutely certain he doesn't have anything in his mouth when you tell him. :wink:

9. palimpsest

Thanks everyone. I know you are right, I know this is what I want and need to do. Just feels terribly, what....hard. I know I can feel the emotional storm just behind my eyes and in my heart. I've hidden from my family for so long, on so many fronts, I would like that to change. I would like to have my dad's support, I can't think of the last time I needed him for anything this important to me. I guess that is it, I don't know that I trust either of my parents. Perhaps a perception check is the best medicine. I'll keep you all posted.

10. PeteNJ

Fantastic! Be proud of standing up for yourself and taking the risk of outing yourself! Congratulations.

11. palimpsest

Well, I did and it went exceptionally well. He was prepared for some form of big talk because he couldn't understand why I suddenly wanted to be out of ministry so strongly. Couldn't understand why I'd turn down a call to serve a church in Idaho that really was an ideal situation for my family. Now it all makes sense, and yes, I think we will grow closer because of this. He asked me why I finally decided to tell him today, I implicated this thread, thanks one and all for helping me through this.

12. geode

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congratulations, Palimpsest! I'm glad it went so well for you! I hope that your relationship with him continues to become closer.

13. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done, Pal! This was a big one, no doubt about it!

14. palimpsest

Wtf!:tantrum:

Dad, why in the hell did you think it was a good idea to go and e-mail my wife after our talk? What in the hell were you thinking, after I told you we needed space, to take this moment to lay that sh*t out in writing? Dear lord, this is exactly why I have been delaying telling you anything. I don't need the family politicking right now, she certainly doesn't need, and now I've got to fix it.

Sorry guys, had to get that out.

15. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    O.M.G. pffftt...it's all I can say!

Parents never fail to live down to expectations...apparently.

16. palimpsest

The best part is I know her well enough to exactly what state she is in. She's in Toronto with the kids staying with her brother and I can't get a response. So, what fun is in store for me tonight???

17. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh dear...I hope you've made peace with God...

18. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Oh Palimpsest, I feel your pain. When I told my mother that I was getting a divorce she called my husband to tell him that he was the perfect husband for me and we were wonderful together and that she was certain that I'd realize what a mistake I'd made and we'd end up back together the way we belong.

THEN she called my 18 year old son, 14 hours away from home, during his 3rd week of college (freshman year) to tell him all the exact same things! Thankfully I've raised not only a compassionate young man (he talked her off the ledge) but sensible too - he made her promise not to call his younger brother until she'd come to grips with the reality that not only wouldn't his parents get back together, but that they absolutely SHOULD NOT. That it's the only way we could all be happy.

Leave it to parents! Well, hopefully your wife has got enough of a grip on reality that she'll take it for what it's worth. NOTHING, in the real scheme of things, right?

But I do not envy you THAT phone call! :eusa_doh:

19. palimpsest

Thanks guys. The problem is that my parents have not really ever been ultra supportive of her. International marriages are hard to begin with for a number of reasons. Her parents have always been supportive of me, mine have been protective of me. She has felt for a long time that she was trapped in my parents divorce, and while meaning well, my dad put his foot in it. I just talked to him, was going to go over for dinner, but don't really feel like doing that now. I feel like getting the hell out of town and away from all of my family members. I am sure she will calm down, but you guys know all too well how delicate the line is between amicable resolutions and war. This is exactly what I told him, that we needed space and time. That is why we are moving to freaking Vermont, to get away from everyone we know and try to get our kids stable and our marriage ended well. We need time for that and really nothing else.

20. palimpsest

Sorry folks for my emotional yo-yo display last night. Telling my dad and the unclogging of stuff hit me a bit stronger than I'd realized. My wife was not mad at him at all, as it turns out, only at me for assuming that she'd be upset. I'll say it here, for the record, I really do not understand the female mind sometimes. No offense intended for the wonderful gals on EC!