1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Can I Give to a Dying Person?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Biotech49, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Biotech49

Just a quick HELP! I'm going to drive to Kansas City to visit my first girlfriend who is dying of cancer and is in hospice. I would like to bring her something but I'm not sure what. I'm going to leave in a few hours. Flowers? Memories? A friend of mine brought her some rainbow stuff to brighten up her room so I can't use that idea.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Nick07

I would say stay as long as possible. I can't imagine myself wanting anything more.
    Maybe a voice record of some memories.

3. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you have a photo album from when you were together and placed you visited? Perhaps you reminisce over happier times, listen to music you liked back then. But I would make sure you remove photos of later girlfriends.

Thinking of you

Sale Gay Guy

4. Biotech49

I'm wondering if the best gift would be to both of us is that I say "I'm sorry". The last two words I said to her were (and please excuse my language), "fuck it" because I just couldn't handle what I felt was rejection.

5. Nick07

Maybe you could ask her if she wants to be taken/go out? In the hospic garden perhaps? If it's possible. Something she can't do ever day. Maybe simply ask her...

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard of one thing which I thought was pretty beautiful: often people have not had the time to sort through old photographs, I don't know if this is possible with her, but it would seem like it would be a very memorable experience.

7. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Anything small she gave you or you got together during your relationship would be great. "Sorry" is a great gift you can give to the both of you.

8. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Hold her hand. Look in her eyes. You don't have to say anything. She will know whats in your heart.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just being there for her. You can't put a price on that. Make the visit heartfelt and lengthy enough. Of the various suggestions, photos and stuff that might harken back to memories of your friendship will probably be more appreciated than a small gift.

10. lostyrs77

I would say stay and think of all the good times. Things that have changed since then. And music gotta play music. Stuff you both liked or music from the.years you were together. Music makes everyone happy.

11. palimpsest

Biotech, when I was training as a hospital chaplain I learned a bit about those important moments towards the end of someone's life. Physical things are nice. Presence is best. Be there, all of you, give her your presence. Help her to find and claim and hold onto her dignity. Take her lead, control your own fear and anxiety and selflessly poor yourself out for her. That is the best gift I think you could possibly give anyone at such a time as death.

12. pippi

I would say that the greatest gift you can give to her, is just being there. Just hold her hand, and let her know you care, and that you are there. Stay with her as long as you possibly can. Like some of the others said, share photograph's with her if you have any. Take that stroll down memory lane with her. Just your presence Biotech, just your being there with her and for her, will mean more to her than anything.

13. apostrophied

1) Your time. Make it clear in your words and behavior that you are in no hurry to leave and will spend as much time with her as necessary.

2) Maybe a soft fleece blanket, a comfy pillow, or some scented hand lotion? Something that will make her feel a bit better despite what must be immense suffering.

I'm so sorry this is happening to her, and that you must resign yourself to losing someone who must have meant a lot to you. :'(

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One thing to keep in mind - your visit is without a doubt the best gift you could give. Anything else is simply frosting on top of that cake.

If there's a food from your area that she likes, or something you cook that she would like, that's always an option. Or just anything that she can look at and reflect on your time together. :slight_smile:

Lex

15. geode

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Everyone has had really great suggestions. One thing I would add is to let her know that you are willing to talk about her dying and death if she wants. Even in a situation where it is obvious that is going to happen, many people still avoid the topic because it is difficult or they want to sound hopeful. She may really want to talk about what is happening to her physically, or her fear/regret (or even relief from pain) about dying.

16. Biotech49

Just got home from visiting her about an hour ago. Got stuck in traffic for at least an hour because of a wreck. I tell you, driving a car with a manual transmission up a very long hill when you can only move feet at at time is a pain in the ass.

Our visit went SO well. We talked about small stuff at first but she had told her sister that she wanted to talk to me alone (her sister is a pastor but knew about us and approved). Her sister left. D___ grabbed my hand and said that she was so afraid to tell me that the cancer was worse that everyone thought so she kind of disappeared. I assumed it was because she didn't like me. She was crying, I was crying, and it was a very cleansing time.

I didn't tell her everything I wanted to tell her because she was getting sleepy. I bought a card on the way home and I have written how I have felt ever since I met her. I walked away but I can say that I still love her. If cancer had not gotten in the way we would be together forever. I truly believe that.

The gift to both of us was forgiveness for our fear and pride. Naturally I cried all the way home. The fact that it was raining did not help matters any.

17. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^You did something very, very beautiful today...what a gift!

18. HopeFloats

How beautiful and precious that time was, Biotech. I'm really happy for you that you had such a meaningful visit.

19. Nick07

20. Biotech49

I cried half of the night. I cried most of the day today - at work. Hallelujah by KD Lang is a song I have always associated with D___ and I have it on my playlist. The song started and there went the tears and there I went to find some Kleenex. I had to shut it off because I couldn't see what I was doing. I guess folks at work will have to get used to me bawling over the next few weeks and months.

I'm not a girly girl but I certainly do have girly emotions. It's probably good that I don't wear make-up because I would be a total mess.