1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need psychiatric help

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Lindsay11, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Lindsay11

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've been struggling for some time with serious depression and suicidal thoughts. Part of the problem is that I have an inoperable case of degenerative disc disease in my back so I'm always in pain, unless I take drugs that relieve some of the pain but make me goofy, which I hate. The other issue is that I've been unable to come out to anyone or even talk to anyone here because I live in South America and there just aren't English speaking therapists available. To add to the problems, I recently turned 60 so I have a strong feeling that my life is coming to an end. This is nearly impossible to deal with. I have looked many times for online therapists but haven't found any yet. Please help me.

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Lindsay,

I hear you. Just pain alone can cast a grey cloud of depression over everything - let alone everything else you want to work on..

I assume you do not speak enough of the local language to use a local therapist. But I'd be surprised that there is no therapist with fair English as a second language. Maybe you have tried this already?

Have you tried local governing body that controls registration of therapists there? For example, over here we would have the BACP website and scroll through lists and lists of therapists and languages spoken.

I think also some will work by Skype. Could you afford a British or US therapist who works by Skype?

I hope you make progress on this.

(*hug*)

3. biggayguy

There are many online counseling services. Some of them offer free sessions the first few times. Just Google free online counseling. Israel Martinez is a glbt counselor I found to be very caring. He offers online sessions.