1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Habits

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Rose27, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

After losing ~40lb last year/thru Spring I have gained back 15- 20(?) on a vegitarian diet.
    Its an old fall back- stuff the pain down w/food.
    Yes I should go on walks/ join a gym.... The days get away and excuses pile up.
    I blame events/people/pms...
    I really thought I had defeated the food -abuse. And that is what it is.
    Self - abusive. Maybe owning it out loud to my EC friends will help.

2. Biotech49

Scream it!

I'm in the same boat as you. I weigh way too much for my health but damnit, I LOVE TO EAT!

3. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My internal stream of thoughts this morning:
    • "I have to rake the leaves."
    • "I don't feel like raking leaves. I'd rather veg with my iPad."
    • "The leaves won't rake themselves."
    • "It's kinda cold outside."
    • "C'mon—it's sunny outside! Put on your shoes and go."
    • :icon_roll "Fine!" (stoopid internal dialogue...)
    Putting on my shoes usually helps break my inertia and clears my head—but I know how hard it can be, especially as the days grow shorter and colder. The warmth and food are alluring comforts. Funny thing is, now that I raked the leaves (it only took 45 minutes), I'm ready for a longer walk and maybe a stop for tea.

A few small, positive steps to celebrate today... :slight_smile:

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I lost 20 lbs. in 6 weeks and kept it off, while lowering my bad cholesterol by 10% (wasn't high to begin with, but borderline) and my blood sugars (equally borderline)...by simply not believing the "scientific research" (BS) that has prevailed since the '80's and which has made us fatter than ever.

Key things:

1) Only trans-fats are bad for you

2) Saturated fats, mono-unsaturated oils (like olive oil) and butter are NOT bad for you (rejoice!).

3) You can't eat too much fat, you reach satiety (no longer hungry) very quickly before reaching the "too much" threshold.

4) Sugars, especially those found in most of what North Americans eat (fructose, sucrose) and in fruit like bananas make you hungry later. Insulin is the cause: insulin lets the sugars into your cells to get the energy they provide, but once the sugar runs out, you crash, low energy, maximum hunger = vicious cycle.

5) Some people are so sensitive to sugar that they should stay away from fruits for a while

6) Full-sugar sodas are the fastest way to get that insulin crash

7) any liquids with high carbohydrate content are more readily absorbed into the bloodstream

8) high-fiber carbs, like fresh apples take longer, the crash cycle is less, but even an apple can be too much for some people, especially after 2 PM.

I eat two hard-boiled eggs every morning (remember my cholesterol is now lower) many hormones (e.g. testosterone) are made from cholesterol, a complex molecule that the body would rather get from food than have to make itself.

I eat very high-fiber bread and 100% peanut butter (read the sugar content in Jiffy...when you regain consciousness, put it back on the shelf).

In the evening, brown rice, meat (nice fatty steak if need be, but who can afford that these days?) or fish (salmon or even sardines) and broccoli or other greens (plenty of salad, and pour on the olive oil, none of that no-fat crap), no desert (Never? Well hardly ever!). Avocado is wonderful food, eggplant, tomatoes...I mean the list goes on...eat like a Mediterranean (in moderation, whole-wheat pasta, etc) and you will be amazed and how easy it is to lose weight!

What's important in the Mediterranean diet is the pattern. i.e. if you eat fats and then eat sugars immediately after (not a Mediterranean attribute), your insulin will promote absorption of the fats into fat cells and inhibit their catalysis (burning) for energy. Mind the patterns and you will succeed.

#4 greatwhale, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Adding to greatwhale's post, I would also suggest to try keeping physically active. If the gym doesn't work out, I wouldn't stress about it.

You could try incorporating walks in your daily schedule/routines. For example, I walk to and from work every day; when I go grocery shopping, I walk; and on the weekends I try to leave some time aside for an extra walk.

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Walking is absolutely essential, I would also venture to say that a lot of exercise just builds up an appetite...take a lesson from nature, be gentle and patient...

7. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Thanks friends! Trying to do low carb vegetarian instead of meat...friend reminded me of my love of cheese sticks! (Love my mozzarella)
    Getting grocery list started.

#7 Rose27, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  8. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Have you tried yoga yet? For me it always 'builds up an appetite' but not for food - rather for another form of pleasurable activity... :wink: :grin:

9. Lindsey23

I've read that if you avoid eating fats your body reacts by trying to hang on to the fat it has. It's like the brain gets tricked into thinking there's a shortage and it goes into survival mode. Try to avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup. Real sugar is much healthier.

10. Biotech49

Damn Dragonbait, I was thinking of starting yoga but now that I don't have a girlfriend I'd better not start!

11. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Dragonbait- Yoga= A room full of super flexible sweaty breathing heavy yoga pant/tank top women...but I'd only go to learn relaxing breathing & gentle stretches as I meditate. Yup. Would not notice anything else. Nope! :roflmao:

12. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Oh yah -back to topic of food. Got my cheese, veggies, eggs & nuts. Ok I laugh cause I LOVE nuts. All nuts. Are they going to take away my license to be a Lesbian card? :roflmao: (!)(!)(!)

13. Biotech49

:roflmao: Well, just don't add that you like sausages too and you'll be okay.

14. apostrophied

Clams are a good alternative for protein. :roflmao:

Omg lol I can't believe I just said that. :confused:

15. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

:roflmao:

16. Biotech49

-_-, oh god!

17. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :eek:

18. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :eek: x 2

19. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Oh, come on! Like you guys aren't in the free weight room at your gym, drooling buckets! :eusa_droo

20. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :roflmao: