1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents, the worst part of being a teacher.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by ClicheKHFan, Nov 12, 2013.

1. ClicheKHFan

So, there are a lot of parents that don't want someone who is gay/bisexual teaching their kids. I want to be a high school language arts teacher. I'm wondering if it would be hard to find an accepting school, or if I might have to keep my private life private.

2. Biotech49

I used to be a teacher. However, I was not out at the time so nobody knew. Go for it anyway!

I would want to teach in a larger city though. My very small town experience was NOT good.

3. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't speak to this specifically but I believe it depends largely upon what state you would like to teach in. State that have anti discrimination laws can't fire you so your good. Others are a crap shoot I suppose. I dated a man that was private about his life when he was an assistant principle in Virginia. He is now married to his partner and working in New York (upstate) as an substitute administrator of a school and his husband is a principle there as well. There are plenty of gay teachers out there but I think many don't mention it. Do some research as to where you want to teach.

4. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

I think its a great career choice! Go for it! Don't let fear keep you from your dreams!

5. BiPenguin

Go teach. Go lead. :slight_smile:

6. Biotech49

There was, however, a rumor going around about me and a fifth grade woman teacher being lovers. How I wish that had been true!

7. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Was it a gym teacher?

8. Silver Sparrow

A larger or more liberal city is more likely to be accepting, but there will sadly be homophobes wherever you go...

9. EscapeArtist

I don't think that's a part of your life you need to disclose. Being a teacher means there are going to areas of your life that require the utmost professionalism. Unfortunately, I think the world is terribly behind in terms of discrimination. This is true in most realms of difference, not just homosexuality. Keep your options open, follow your heart.

10. Femme

I am a teacher in a liberal state. That does not mean that my school is liberal. I have personally seen it ruin careers. It will be a long road to tenure and when you aren't tenured, you can simply not be invited back. They do not even have to give you a reason. If you become tenured, you could come out after the fact but I personally do not recommend it. If you are in a very large city like NYC, Boston, LA or another large scale city then you could come out but that does NOT mean that there won't be negative consequences. You won't even know about most of them.

If you decide you are going to come out, be prepared for a harder road and I strongly recommend that you do not come out until you are tenured.

---------- Post added 12th Nov 2013 at 07:51 PM ----------

Oh and as for the parents, you are absolutely correct. They do not want someone gay/queer/not straight teaching their children. Those that don't mind are the minority even in a large city.

Do not let my comments negatively influence your decision. I love teaching and I am truly passionate about my chosen profession. I am simply trying to provide some insight from an experienced teacher. I have taught in a large city as well as a smaller one. There was no difference for me.

11. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is one of by biggest fears when I pursue my career as a teacher. Hopefully, I can get in a school with a much higher acceptance rate of LGBT people.

12. ClicheKHFan

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm hopeful that the future will eventually get better. I'm very unshakeable about my desire to become a teacher, but I may have to be discreet about my personal life. I also want to be an author and maybe write literature featuring LGBT characters. If I ever become popular enough for that to become an issue though, I'd probably consider myself blessed.

Good luck :slight_smile: and don't let anyone stop you.

#12 ClicheKHFan, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013