1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great progress!!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by ormanout, Nov 13, 2013.

1. ormanout

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The last 24 hours have really been great. I got some great E.C. input. My thanks to all who responded. I met with my lesbian pastor who is a wonderful source of strength, spiritual guidance, and advice. She's also left a marriage and has gone through the coming out process, not just to her former husband and daughters, but to an entire congregation and within the public life that she leads in our community. I also locked in on an individual therapist. I see him for the first time on Monday, but we had a very pleasant phone chat.

I had a great conversation with my pastor about authenticity, identity congruence and the coming out process. I told her that I felt a strong spiritual dimension to my coming out and I needed to explore that aspect with her. Within that 90 minute converstaion, she reminded me that the world "Shalom" means not just "peace" but also wholeness. Here's a web definition I found:

According to Strong's Concordance 7965 Shalom means completeness, wholeness, health, peace, welfare, safety soundness, tranquility, prosperity, perfectness, fullness, rest, harmony, the absence of agitation or discord. Shalom comes from the root verb shalom meaning to be complete, perfect and full.

So, today I have a "peacefulness" that has not been present for some weeks. I know that what I'm feeling spiritually about this journey is not my wishful thinking, but in reality, it is me finally submitting to the way God made me....and I have to believe that this is the way it is meant to be. At least for now, the fear has subsided and I can take a few more steps forward. Have I told you all how much I LOVE E.C.? I am so thankful this place of free expression, exploration and mutual support exists.

One final thing. I'm helping to host a national conference starting today thru Saturday on oppression reduction and forming coalitions to eliminate discrimination. My, my...what a difference a week makes.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is wonderful! I'm very pleased that we were able to help!

A note on Hebrew etimology: to pay for something we say "leshalem", (you'll note the "shoresh" or root letters Shin Lamed & Mem that constitute shalom) which literally means to "settle", again referring to making something complete, done and at peace (no debt)...interesting huh?

3. ormanout

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you! I love getting to the hidden meanings and source of language. It's just another way for us to dig in and understand our lives and culture.