1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closure w/homophobic dying parent

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Rose27, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

I am at a loss. My mother had told me many times before we stopped speaking all together that if she were ever hospitalized or dying she did not want to see me. So when I was told on Sunday that she was dying I have had such diverse range of emotions. The little girl she used to beat & blame for everything is still terrified of her. The teen she punished for being a lesbian is angry. The adult me wants to say good-bye & pray for her & wish her some peace. I know she has never known peace in her lifetime. She has suffered from mental illness her whole life. She has cirrosis of the liver caused by 40+ years of hard drinking.
    This morning I emailed a Rabbi so I can prepare myself if by chance I am needed. If I am not, If I am excluded from the closure I have been told I need then I need a place to grieve and find peace for myself.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your rabbi said the right thing...honouring your mother and your father...one of the more difficult commandments. In this case do you honour her wishes or do you pay your respects?

A true conundrum...I feel for you!

3. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

gw- Sorry about the run on sentence it made what I was trying to say a bit confused. Another family member said I needed closure. I have not spoken to the Rabbi yet I know I will need a place to grieve and be around people because my mother never allowed me to grieve/cry. If I don't cry and expierience all the emotions she will still have power over me even in death. She told me I was in capable of love.
    I also need to make peace w/God. Its not even about faith. Its about not being angry anymore about the past.

#3 Rose27, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, grieving is for the living and yes, you have to go through it for your own sake.

We're all of us here shedding the encrusted hatreds and bad feelings, all the repression is already falling away...that haunting line from Anne Morrow Lindberg's poem rings truer than ever:

5. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

(*hug*)

6. biggayguy

I had to forgive my mom when she died. Keeping unforgiveness in your heart will make you bitter. Your mom saying that you're incapable of love seems awfully hard. Yet that's on her. You have to live with your own heart. I hope that makes sense.

7. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

biggayguy-Thank you. (*hug*)

8. Beware Of You

Just think, once she does pass away you will never have the chance to get closure again, I have heard of people regretting such a thing for the rest of their lives.

But in the end its up to you

9. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

I know. She is still in control as far as me seeing her before she passes. Its her choice.
    I don't know what her wishes are re-me attending her funeral.
    I may arrange a small service for her when she dies if I am not included in whatever she has planned.

10. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See her and ask her if she still wants you to stay away from her. If she says yes, it doesn't matter, because you have already seen her. If she has changed her mind, then you can work out what you need for closure with her. Either way, you will always know you gave her one last chance to be the parent she never was, and get the closure you need.

11. mav96213

Excellent advice Yossarian, I totally agree...

12. palimpsest

I have had the pleasure and burden of ministering to families with dying members. I have seen a universe of extremes in those situations. One thing that I can tell you is that even the hardest nut can crack beneath the weight of impending mortality.

What is your goal? Closure just for you? Closure for her? A desire to give reconciliation one last chance? What is it you really want? Not your mom, you.

How far are you willing to go to get it? Taking the risk may cause you more pain, and I know that is not something that you would embrace happily just because. Depending on what you want to do, how you must go on with your life as your mom's ends, what will help you grieve and let go the best. Risking a visit, being turned away, but you did what you could. Writing a letter that may not be read, but you got your words out.

I have officiated at numerous funerals. That event, I have learned, is not for the dead but for the living. Grief is for the living. I know these are not my most comforting words in a thread to date, for that I am sorry. I simply think that this is perhaps the best time to take risks if in so doing you will be able to better move on in your life.

13. Lindsey23

I'm so sorry Rose...

I agree with Yossarian's advice. Give her the opportunity to see you again. She may appreciate it even if she doesn't show it. I don't know, I just can't imagine any parent not wanting to see their daughter one last time. And at least then you will know that you tried and you won't wonder what might have happened. (*hug*)

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And honoring is the operative word. Note that it is not love. Judeo-Christian theology uses the word honor instead of love exactly for situation such as this one.

---------- Post added 14th Nov 2013 at 10:47 AM ----------

Wow, just wow, Yossarian. I think you've covered all the bases.

Rose, you'll have to summon the strength to see her one last time, assuming it's feasible. You'll either experience more of the same, or a sense of gratitude.

15. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Thank you friends!(&&&)
    I hopefully will have a time frame for decision making after I speak with another family member. I was not told the exact test results. Just "Your mother is dying". At her age though I don't think it will be longer than a few months. Will keep you all posted. Thank you for your support, advice & kind words. (&&&) Rose

16. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Oh Sweet Rose. My mother issues don't come close to what you've got going on, and believe me, I've got a mother-load. And because of that, when I first read your post, my immediate reaction was to think, "If she doesn't want to see me, fine. I'll just wait and go dance on her grave." Then my conscience kicked in and I knew that was a boatload of bravado.

Once I got over my own deep-seeded knee-jerk reaction, I worked backward. Why would I ever advise someone with emotional scars to subject themselves to more abuse? She doesn't want to see you? Fine. You don't need to dance on her grave, then just crash her funeral instead. Like Palimpsest said, grieving - and funerals by connection - are for the living, so in the case of her funeral, it's not so much about her wishes, but your needs.

Then, before writing out my response, I started to re-read your OP and my whole perspective shifted. It was what I left of your OP in the quote above that did it for me.

You'll get nothing from dancing on her grave, and chances are good that if you were to crash her funeral, you'd just feel like you didn't really belong. You have so many unresolved issues with her and they impact you to this day. That little girl in you should be able to relax without fear, knowing that the grown woman she has become is a conqueror in her own right. That angry teen should be able to move past her anger to a place of understanding, if not acceptance. The adult, the wonderful you that has emerged from the ashes of your youth deserves to get everything she needs.

The only way for you to get that is to see her. Will she try to lash out at you, will she try to hurt you? You'll never know until you go, but at least you know enough to prepare for it. She won't catch you unaware now. Are you prepared to deal with it if her old habits and hurtful behaviors resurface? Just by the words in the quote above, I do believe you are. You know and understand her weaknesses, her illness - both mental and self-inflicted. (although with mental illness in my own family, I understand a bit about the use of alcohol to self-medicate, so her addiction is probably not unrelated to her mental illness) and better yet, enough about yourself.

How much will you benefit from facing down one of your biggest demons? The confidence, the acceptance, the love and forgiveness you will need to muster to even approach this situation, no matter how it turns out with her, should give you all the comfort you need to accept and move beyond. To give that little girl some security from her fears and to give that teen some peace. And once those two have settled, who knows what magic may work on the wonderful woman they have become?

Good luck dear friend. Keep us posted!

17. Biotech49

Go see her for the closure that YOU need. She may surprise you or she may not but you will never know unless that step is taken. Be prepared for the worst but hope for the best. Steel yourself.

18. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Dragonbait. (*hug*)
    1st :Re- emotional pain due to parental issues-No ones is worse or less. It just is.
    2nd Gee- how did you know my mother used to say when she died I should dance on her grave? She even had classical music march picked out! I could not do it -less about disrespect more a rebel thing; a F.U.! I'm not going to let you control me after your gone.
    What I have decided is if she is hospitalized/hospice I will go. I will not go alone. I will also ask a nurse to be present. That will be enough audience for her not to pull any mind games or extreme drama.
    I will tell her a bit about her grandson & will most likely leave a framed picture of him. I will tell her I am out as a lesbian and hope to work with gay teens. I will say a prayer and a good-bye. When she dies I will attend the funeral and at its end walk away w/o guilt. Or looking back.

---------- Post added 15th Nov 2013 at 06:44 AM ----------

Thanks Biotech(*hug*) Are there any updates on your Dad?

19. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Rose27, I am so sorry. I wish you peace.

20. Biotech49

He went to the doctor today. Not back yet. I think he is dealing with blood sugar problems though due to his pancreas being affected. I mentioned the up five times at night in the bathroom to my mom and she made an appointment.

BTW, good choices up there!