1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baby Steps Out of the Closet

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by nwor55, Nov 16, 2013.

1. nwor55

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is a great forum with a great bunch of people who really care; I don’t post a lot, but check in to read about others struggles and triumphs daily.

I posted a novel that is my life at the end of August and received many great responses and would like to thank all who replied.

Since then, I’ve met up with a gentleman a couple of times, the last time we went to a gay movie as part of the local Lesbian & Gay Film Festival and checked out a couple of gay bars. This was my first experience doing anything publically that that might let people know I am gay. It was a terrific experience and I’m looking forward to repeating it, it really re-enforced why I want to come out and live life as I was meant to.

I have also taken a few more baby steps on the way out of the closet. I had my annual physical recently and let my doctor know that I’m gay, no big deal to him, but it felt good to me and another small weight was lifted off my shoulders.

I’ve also been reading a very good book, “Coming Out of Shame Transforming Gay and Lesbian Lives”. In the past this book would have never left the house, but last Saturday I took it with me when I went out to lunch. I read it until my food showed up, then I just left the book face up on the table while I ate. I would never have considered doing this a couple of months ago.

I know these are little things, but each one gives me the courage to take the next step.

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey nwor55 ... these may not be so baby steps after all .. they all lead to bigger strides and before you know it you're flying !

The book on the restaurant table - you're ahead of me !!!

3. Spaceman

Congratulations nwor on your continuing your journey! Every step is important and makes the next one that much easier.

4. nwor55

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    bingostring, you're right, gotta start somewhere and as you say little steps lead to larger strides. The next step is getting up the courage to attend a local gay fathers group, maybe this week.

Spaceman, thanks for the support, and you're also correct, each little step has made me feel better about myself and has helped me take the next step.

5. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Where I live, 1/2 hour out of NYC, no one cares at all about people being gay. I can leave such a book on a table but i don't. Why? I need more self-acceptance. I live in the suburbs and just moved out of my house 2 weeks ago. Where to, you might ask? I moved in with the married lesbian couple who own a 2 family house. No one cares but I still have trouble with self acceptance. It's a long road for me.

6. oneday004

congrats nwor.... looks like you have a book I would like to read.

7. nwor55

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    oneday, if you get a chance read it, it's a great book. There' also a couple others that are not gay specific, but have helped me a lot. They're both by Brene' Brown.

1. The Gifts Of Imperfection - Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are

2. Daring Greatly - How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent and Lead

These two books both talk about shame and have helped me make some significant changes.