1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by palimpsest, Nov 21, 2013.

1. palimpsest

Hi there EC friends. Sorry I've been a bit absent lately, as the title of the post indicates, there is a lot going on IRL at the moment. So a week from tomorrow I hit the road for Vermont. While I would prefer to stay where I am, I do not wish to sever all ties with my wife and kids, which is what would result from staying behind.

It is funny since it was my own anxiety pre-coming out that helped to open up a road east. Now that that tension is gone and I'm out with everyone except my kids, I don't really want to go. I've found a solid church and a good group of guys that could become the foundation for a very solid social network. That said, I feel ready for the move. I've overcome so many hurdles while at home I don't think I will be so shy about finding new friends. About starting a life more in line with the one I want to live.

I'll try not to be a stranger in the next few days, but if you don't hear much, know that all is as well as it can be. I am doing all right. Looking forward to my first "datish" evening tomorrow. Packing stuff up. Buying a new car. You know, all the things to get ready to hit the road.

2. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So now you have a literal journey ahead of you, after going through a figurative one.... Safe travels to you and your family, and may Vermont be the beginning, not the end, of the rainbow for you. (OK, that was really corny and I fully admit it.) We will all be thinking of you and waiting for the next updates in the saga!

3. palimpsest

CB, corny is acceptable. You know I have my moments too, and you know the cause? Fatherhood. I swear it is true.

4. tommyj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Best Wishes to you ask you embark on the road ahead! I'm confident that you will find your way in VT!

5. HopeFloats

I've been wondering where you've been, Palimpsest. Take care and best wishes for your cross country trip! You'll build a new community there, now that you know what you're looking for.

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey there, I hope the relocation goes well. Sometimes we need them ... to breathe some new air. You're heading to a beautiful area. And you're leaving a sunny, and hot one, behind. I really hope it works out and I always seem to live vicariously through people's moves, having done my share of them. What an interesting trajectory, though!

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Pal!

All the best on your move, and say hi to Larry, his brother Darryl and his other brother Darryl! :grin:

8. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Hey there Preacher Man. I do not envy you the trip - across I-80 in snow season - nor the VT winter you are heading into, but a fresh start amidst new people with no preconceived notions sounds a little bit like nirvana. No matter what else awaits you in your new home state, you know that the person arriving there will be the authentic you, launching yourself on a fresh slate, and that is enviable.

“May the road rise up to meet you
    May the wind be always at your back
    May the sun shine warm upon your face
    And the *snow* fall soft upon your fields
    And until we meet again
    May God hold you in the palm of his hand”

9. PeteNJ

Hugs for the road!

It's going to be a wonderful new start of many things in life for you.

/p