1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wish me luck

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by arturoenrico, Dec 7, 2013.

1. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I'm asking all of you wonderful people on EC, who never have a harsh word for me, wish me luck as later today I'm attending a family wedding on my wife's side tonight. Her much younger cousin is getting married and my daughter is a bridesmaid; they're good friends. I have been vacillating but decided to go in the end because isolation and avoidance aren't really helpful approaches to life. Also, I mostly like the people in my wife's family; I adore the young lady getting married; she was 3 when I married my wife. I realized this week that it was 25 years ago that I first met my wife's extended family at a Hannukah party at her parents apartment in New York City. Almost all the holidays over these many years have been with them.

I hope the bar is well stocked!

I am driving there separately with my son since my daughter is arriving early. Yesterday I went to my son's varsity basketball game. It was a great joy to watch him play but it was odd to sit with me wife, who I don't like to talk to, since she tends to make little aggravating comments that are like grains of sand that get stuck between your toes, little pokes and jabs, seemingly innocent. :dry:I told her my back was hurting and I went to stand up on the side.
    I didn't miss my sons 3 pointer as I was changing locations; his first in a varsity game!
    :eusa_clap :wow::wow:

2. AKTodd

Best of luck and have fun:slight_smile:

3. Gallatin

Good luck! And congrats to your son for scoring his first three-pointer. I remember when I played basketball and scored my first basket (albeit not a three-pointer, was never much good at those!). :slight_smile:

4. Lindsay11

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    We always support you, Arturo, just as you always support us. You are going through the most painful part of your separation and the emergence of your true self. It will get better. Keep sharing your life here and elsewhere and remember that you are not alone!!

5. Pete1970

good luck Arturo,

Try to enjoy the festivities!!!

Congrats to your son

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I hope it all went OK for you. These big family events can be awkward, but in my experience and that of a friend who attended a couple of family weddings recently, people generally tend to put aside disagreements and issues so as not to ruin the big day for the bride and groom. Though later when the alcohol starts flowing it can get more tricky...

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Arturo,

I think you are right to decide to go, you didn't divorce them after all. Just keep your wits about you as you are completely out to them, there will be the inevitable stares...sometimes I wish we could see people's thought-bubbles!

8. tex st

tex st Guest

good luck!

9. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Art -How did it go? Hugs Rose

10. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well there was no drama. The bride was beautiful; my daughter looked gorgeous in her bridesmaid gown. It's a bit sad to listen to a ceremony in which people commit to each other and expect their love never to die, after your own marriage has just gone to hell. I kept a low profile, avoided my wife. Most everyone in my wife's family were very sweet and welcoming.the family is very large and enmeshed, not like mine. My father in law was a little cold but that's ok. I spoke with a few people. My sister in law, who I've always liked, was drunk and kept on hanging on me and telling me that we should meet for dinner some time. Actually, she's married to my wife's brother, and she recently discovered he had a long term affair and was ready to divorce him. I left a bit early with my son. All in all, I did ok.

11. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Having been to a friend's wedding, they can be really beautiful. It's great that it went well, and that there was no drama. :slight_smile:

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I'm really pleased it was such a lovely day, with no dramas. That's what the bride and groom would want and deserve. Leaving a bit early was a good idea.