1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for gay couples

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Skaros, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have a question for someone who is in a relationship with the same-sex. Where did you meet your lover? When and how? Considering that the gay population is about 5%, I'm not sure I'll have much luck finding a soul mate. Any advice or stories would be great.

2. AKTodd

Online, specifically in a gay chatroom. This was back when 386 machines and 56k modems were the height of cutting edge home computing. Dating site and such basically didn't exist as such.

I had just moved to VA (because life in AZ wasn't working) and was living with my best friend. She introduced me to the internet and chat rooms. I was chatting in a room for gay guys in Va and got to talking with this one guy. Asked him about his weird screen name (it was abbreviations for some of the states he'd lived in) which led to talking about where we were from and the discovery we both went to U of AZ. Which led to more discussions over several days, then a couple phone calls and eventually meeting for dinner. I got home at 4:30 the next afternoon. About three months of 'dating' and I moved in. We'll have been together 17yrs later this month.

Todd

3. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I met mine on here actually. This is not a dating website. But her and I clicked and things just happened. XD

4. Biotech49

Online about seven months ago. We met face to face about five months ago. She lives about an hour and a half away. I don't think she is my soulmate but we do have good times together. I'm not too interested in leaving the comfort of my own home or life right now and neither is she. Sigh...

I have lesbian friends but they are paired up and haven't been on the dating scene for awhile so don't know any single ladies.

5. Sailorsheart

Meeting someone for a relationship is hard. Everyone I have met just want a hit and run situation. Any mention of sticking around and getting to know each other is met with a blank stare. Maybe some day it will happen but I am not going to hold my breath. Sigh also...

6. HopeFloats

I met my girlfriend at work, at my old job. She was with someone else and I had to wait for that to end for us to start seeing each other.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Playing online video games.

Lex

8. JakeHas

I met him in an online gaming community. We live 813 miles away and wish everyday we could be closer!
    If you're worrying about getting a relationship, don't worry. True love can't be forced, fate and time will allow it to happen when it will. I never expected to come online and meet the man of my dreams, never would that have come to my mind. Life has a way of working out things :slight_smile:

9. OneSpirit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Met my gf at church. :slight_smile:
    (Gay-friendly, New Thought church)

10. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'm not in a relationship now, but I met the last guy I dated at a friend's graduation party. She was dating his roommate at the time, so his roommate invited him over. We clicked over our shared love of the band Rush after I put on Moving Pictures for background music. We reconnected over Facebook after the party, where he told me he'd bought a documentary about Rush's career and asked if I wanted to hang out to watch it. We hung out then and several more times before he admitted he thought I was cute, and the rest is history. :slight_smile:

11. Incognito10

I met him on a dating site back in 2009. In 2010 we were married in DC when it became legal (hard to believe I've been a married man for the past 3+ years...honestly, it felt so much more "official" when DOMA was struck down this year). And our meeting was truly amazing because we lived within 5 miles of each other and it wasn't a "gay neighborhood" or town by any means, if anything it is a very conservative town, but we still live there because we enjoy the beauty of the area, family and found there are people out there, even amidst the prevailing conservative nature of the town, that fully support gays and we've befriended other gay couples through networking. My point is, do not discount your chances of finding someone, just network and the internet is part of your community too, not just your physical town.

#11 Incognito10, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  12. mermaid

Word!

I met my girlfriend on a lokal online community for lesbians. I wrote 'welcome' to her and she answered. We had so much in common and clicked almost immediately. Neither of us had intentions on meeting someone there, it just happened.