1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Wake-Up Moment

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by AmethystLaney, Dec 18, 2013.

1. AmethystLaney

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi everyone,

I'm brand new here and just starting to explore my feelings about coming out. I've had a huge "wake-up" moment where it's finally hit me that I'm a lesbian. I'm totally okay with being a lesbian but I'm not sure where to go from here. I read books and watch shows and movies that encourage me to explore my sexuality but I think it's time to at least seek out a LGBT support group in my area. My biggest fear is that I'm weird or something because I've lived a heterosexual life for 20 years. I even have four kids. I'm sure the LGBT community will be supportive but I'm scared because this is all so new to me, accepting this part of my life so much later in life. Right now just looking for supportive friends.

Hopeful but scared,
    AmethystLaney

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC AmethystLaney!

You've come to the right place to explore these things. Rest assured, you will find many supportive people here, it's a great community to share your hopes, dreams and yes, the inevitable fears.

Be well and post often!

3. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Welcome to EC!

4. Pete1970

Welcome to EC

I am now 43 and married for 22 years with 2 kids. Just recently started the journey o coming out, so you are not alone.

There are a lot of great people here who will provide advice and support

5. AmethystLaney

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you for the replies! I'm looking forward to this journey and grateful for the friends!

6. Spaceman

Welcome! I'm 44, married with 2 kids and came out to my wife 2 months ago. It's been anything but easy but still better than being locked in the closet. If you're married, what are your thoughts on telling your husband?

7. DaveSoup72

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm right there with ya.. 41 and no kids, but I spent the better part of 25 years only looking at the opposite sex. It feels like years and years of wasted time and is worrisome and disheartening to find myself here. But, I refuse to hide (from myself at least) any longer. Hang in there.

8. mermaid

Hi AmethystLaney, welcome to EC!:smilewave

I am 42 years old, married to a man and we have two kids. I came out to my husband for two years ago and we chose to stay married for the kids sake.
    I do have a girlfriend which he fully accepts.
    A friend of mine discovered that she was a lesbian after a long-term partnership with a man with four kids. She didn't have a clue.
    Now she is happily married to a woman and they are planning for another kid. :icon_bigg

You are not alone in your situation and you are not weird at all.:slight_smile:

9. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome, AmethystLaney. :slight_smile: