1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I told my wife I didn't want to be with her

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Richie., Dec 26, 2013.

1. Richie.

I wood describe myself as a bottle of champagne this year with my emotions and feelings waiting to explode. I've been a loose cannon

Tonight my wife wanted to do the hanky panky I went to bed and she said 'you want some loving'. I said no. She asked me what was up I told her she asked me whH she did wrong told her nothing I told her I loved her but I couldn't be with her etc

I felt bad she left the room. Promised myself I'd wait until after Christmas but it spilt out

---------- Post added 26th Dec 2013 at 02:51 PM ----------

Sorry for gramma on phone and bit drunk

2. Pete1970

sorry it had to happen on Christmas, sometimes life doesnt always go as planned.

did you tell her you were gay or just that you couldnt be with her?

3. Richie.

I never told her I was gay. Although it was so close to coming out

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, Ric.

First, congratulations on being authentic. As difficult and painful as it was, it's an important first step, and as difficult as it may seem, it's a positive step both for you and for her, as it will help to move her in the direction of finding someone that can really love and appreciate her in the way she deserves, that you're unable to provide.

Here's another thought, for what it's worth: Now that she knows you can't be with her any more, she's undoubtedly going to be hurting, and more importantly, she's almost certainly going to blame herself and/or wonder what she did or what's wrong with her that you don't love her any more and/or can't be with her. That's very likely going to put her in a pretty big shame storm. So you might want to think about "coming clean" and, if you can bring yourself to do so, admitting why you can't be with her. It's possible she already knows or suspects, but it's also quite possible she has no idea (or, at least, not consciously.) So telling her will pretty quickly help her process the loss so that she isn't blaming herself or thinking herself unworthy of love, or not good enough.

I realize it's a huge step for you, and one you may not be quite ready to make, but if you're breaking off the marriage, you probably owe it to her to tell her the real reason why. If you feel like you might be ready to do it, but can't do it face to face, perhaps you could write a letter or even an email. A letter you write and present to her in person and ask her to read in your presence is probably the kindest way, but it isn't always a choice that everyone is ready to make in that circumstance.

In any case, I wish you the best and while I know this was (and is) incredibly hard, it's also a very positive step for both of you in the long run.

5. Richie.

Your right she did say what have I done. I told her it's not her but she is now sleeping in my children's room I feel dreadful. I have to tell her but I don't have the stregnth yet

6. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What steps could you take that would help you to get the strength you need to tell her?

7. Richie.

I'm not sure where one would find that strength tbh

8. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you can't find the strength, maybe what you should do is try to find the love. I tried to muster the strength and the nerve to tell my wife for weeks, and had trouble finding the right time to do it. Finally, in the middle of a fight, with her beating herself up as the cause of all our problems, I blurted it out. She's a difficult person and HAS caused a lot of the trouble between us, but I couldn't let her shoulder the blame for ALL of it. I figured if I had loved her enough to marry her, I should also love her enough to be truthful.

It's not an easy thing to do. But it sounds like you're rapidly reaching the point of no return, and very soon you will only have 2 options: tell her the truth--or flee, file for divorce, whatever, and keep her in the dark. Flight pretty much ensures that you will lose her friendship and respect. If you still have love in your heart for her, the truth is your only hope to keep that friendship and respect. It's not a guarantee. But you have a better chance if you come clean, than if you just walk out, and if you still love her to any degree, giving her the truth is by far the more loving thing to do.

It's a terribly hard discussion to have, but I and others here can tell you it's worth it. I hope everything goes OK, however you finally handle it.

9. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, one place to look might be to think about the caring and respect you have for her, and the effect not telling her may be having on her own sense of self. So perhaps it's something you choose to do for her benefit rather than yours.

Another might be to think about it logically and what the costs of not telling her (or anyone) are, and what the costs will continue to be, to you, for holding onto this secret. There are definite impacts on stress levels, which means it impacts health, sleep, aging, and other factors. And there are a lot of other impacts, on your self esteem, ability to love yourself, and so forth.

So sometimes, it's less about actually finding the strength, but more just walking straight into the fear and facing it head on, knowing that the strength will be there when you need it. Vulnerability is the birthplace of courage, and no one who's ever done anything truly courageous has ever done so without vulnerability and some of the feelings of fear that come with vulnerability.

So I think when we wait on courage... most of the time, we're waiting on something we actually already have, but can't quite bring ourselves to call upon.

I don't know if any of that makes any sense or helps, but it's a mindset I use when I'm stretching myself outside of my comfort zone.

10. Spaceman

Hi Ric,

For me, finding the strength to tell my wife I'm gay involved...

1. Admitting it to myself (which you've already done).

2. Being ready for any possible outcome and accepting it would likely be beyond my control.

3. Wanting to end her struggle to figure out what's wrong with me and blaming herself for it.

4. Wanting to have a chance of actually liking myself and really enjoying life.

5. Realizing that delaying it would just be putting off the inevitable and wasting that much more of my time and hers.

6. Wanting to explore my sexuality, which I could not have done with a clear conscience before coming out to her.

Hope you find some of this helpful. I know it's not an easy spot you're in.

11. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with Spaceman. For me the strength came from a combination of self acceptance, shedding of shame, and removing her of her burden of responsibility for our problems. It was the shedding of shame that was the toughest (I'll be working on that one for a while). I thought I had accepted my sexuality years ago and was cool with who I was. What I didn't realize it that all those years in the closet had created this huge wall of shame. (I had been to proud to admit I was even ashamed to begin with). Tearing down that wall was huge and it really started with telling her. And with everyone I tell I tear down that wall. You have the strength. We are here for you when you need us.

12. Richie.

Your all or corse are right, I shall probably wait until I have an apartment to go to. I will likely tell her though.

13. Richie.

It's coming out today I feel it she wants an explanation, I'm to weak to give it!

14. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can you write a short note and give it to her? Or even send her a text with the two words "I'm gay"? If you can stretch yourself enough for either of those, then the cat's out of the bag and the rest will follow.

15. Richie.

I know it's that simple I know, it's just so hard :frowning2:

16. ukguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi GayRic - not a millions miles away from you my friend - in the West Mids. Courage...and one small step at a time. My wife knows about my sexuality now - by accident unfortunately. At least you have some control over the situation and can choose the time and place to say what you want to to her. I had been cheating too - so my coming out happened in the worst possible way. Dont do what I did!

17. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's another thought: It looks like you're out to your mom. Perhaps you could call and talk to her and use that as your strength to send a text to your wife while talking to your mom. I've helped several people who wanted to come out send a text, because that was the only way they could summon the strength to do so. In one case, I was on the phone for 30 minutes with the person before he pressed "send."

It's scary to walk into the fear, but it's liberating on the other side.

18. Richie.

I've done it my wife was so so sad she was so hurt she deserved the truth

I text her I'm gay

She told me to come home she wanted to see me. I'm sitting in my car

I've done what I said I never would I've come out to my wife

I'm so scared to face her. I need too. I'm going to face the music

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck friend,

This will pass, remember that anger is also a form of sadness, be as compassionate as you can, and listen.

20. Pete1970

Ric,

I think it may be a good sign that she wants you to come home and see you. At least she didnt say to not come home.

Good luck