1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soon-to-be-Ex wanted to meet...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greatwhale, Jan 1, 2014.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings folks,

On the 26th of December, I had to spend time with my Soon to be ex-wife at our son's curling tournament. She saw my ear stud, and my generally relaxed manner (which no doubt pissed her off to no end, and which probably even more strongly confirmed in her mind that I am gay).

On the 27th of December, I received a text from the STBX:

Make time to meet and speak next week; I am sure that you would prefer that what needs to be discussed is not first broached in a courtroom.

Intrigued, and because I remembered that she had earlier made remarks that her lawyer wanted to go much further in exploring why our marriage had failed and that she had refused in order not to embarrass me (she still cared for my feelings then), I had initially accepted; but still with no intention of coming out to her before the divorce is final.

I texted back asking what it was about, knowing full well she wasn't going to say:

Yeah, you'll find out. If we don't speak, you can find out in court.

She went on to text:

I'm quite certain I don't want to eat with you so just choose a place and suggest a few times for me to choose from and a place that is public but quiet enough for me to tell you what I want and get the information I need and where no one will see us together. And I have no intention of having my time wasted; I expect my questions to be answered. If not, we can do this in court. In front of a judge.

After some back and forth, I asked how long it would take, but, of course she took that to mean I was being sarcastic:

Pathetic. Don't meet. No problem. I'll be happy to do what I have to in court. It's not a problem for me; believe me a court of law/judge will have no problem handling these issues but you might. Best of luck.

On the day we were to meet I had coincidentally booked an earlier appointment with my psychologist. I spoke about this, quoting the texts above (I have kept nothing from him) and I told him that I was almost 100% certain she was going to confront my sexuality. He asked: why have the meeting at all? I explained that I was not going to say anything but that it might help me understand her strategy. I am certain that her lawyer does not know of this meeting.

And then I thought. Fuck it. He's right, by going to this clandestine meeting I would be playing into her threats and losing posture, and I have learned enough about the law to know that any trial should not be about surprises. I thanked her (mentally) for giving me a hint of what was to come, I will therefore subpoena the following: "Plaintiff (her) will provide any material evidence that would lead to the conclusion that the Defendant (me) had acted in bad faith during the matrimonial regime". Bad faith is code for infidelity, if she has proof, I want to see it before any trial (she doesn't have any such proof).

By not going, I keep her guessing and that's how it will remain for strategic reasons.

I have ammunition that I will use without hesitation to retaliate if she goes that route, I will be far less in a conciliatory mood and I will stand even more vigorously for my rights as a father and for a fair settlement. I don't think she realizes what demon-spirit she will awaken in me if she tries to shame me for what I am. I don't think she realizes that I can also be as fierce, as organized and as ruthless as she.

If she chooses that route, she will find that, after some time has passed and the divorce is long-settled, any possibility of an eventual amicable outcome down the line will be impossible, much to her detriment.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why do people like this always manage to find people to marry them? :slight_smile:

Good luck.

Lex

3. Soleil

Divorce is no fun. My own was a time of so much anxiety and so many 'games' I never wanted to play. I was as a child severely impacted by the lifelong repercussions of the nastiness of my parents divorce and my mothers inability to come to terms with it. That child would like to make a plea for your understanding of your son's experience in all of this. My own small and wounded 4year old feels the weight and horror of being emotionally torn between 2 people that were my whole world and who had such conflicting and in some cases horrible things to say about the other. I do not mean to say that you should 'play nice' because your wife can blackmail you by hurting your son. . .. although, believe me, she can . .. .no matter what you can say to him or how much he knows you love him .. . .she can manipulate his experience. What I AM saying is, please, please DO look inwards and be in the best possible contact with all that this brings up in you and dare to be brutally honest about it all with yourself. Face it and own it for yourself and your son and act from that place of calm connection and understanding within. I write this because from what little I have read of what you've written here, my sense has been that this is something you are capable of. All my best to you in this difficult situation.

#3 Soleil, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you, Lex,

I know, it's one of the wonders of the world...

5. Pete1970

Greatwhale, it does sound like she might strongly suspect. Sorry it seems like it may get nasty. Just for my own information, does you being gay make a difference in the settlement? I dont know how Canadian laws work, but at least in my state i dont think that would make a difference, at least by what i was told. I guess that i should be lucky that my situation hasnt gotten nasty (at least not yet).

Anyway, i hope everything goes as well as it can for you.

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Soleil. I am child of divorce myself, but I never got to know my father. I call tell you however that my mother most effectively poisoned my opinion of him, and even today, I cannot say that I ever loved him. It's different with my kids because I was involved with them. The best I can do is be civil with her.

Just the other day, my younger son listened as she spoke to me over the speaker-phone in her usual brutal manner and I remained a paragon of calm and logic. He spoke to me about his opinion of that conversation and he was angry at her for being "so mean" when I was being so calm.

As long as I myself behave like an adult, the kids will see what is going on. That is my challenge and my burden. Nevertheless, I'll be damned if I give her anything more than she deserves. I am aware of my responsibilities to my kids and they will be taken care of.

@gaymarried42, yes she has strongly suspected for years, it will get nasty, but not in front of the kids. In fact you are right, whatever transpired should not make a difference in terms of the settlement, however, in doing my legal research there is jurisprudence that suggests that if it is proven that the husband or wife were unfaithful (i.e. acting in bad faith), that would be grounds for an uneven division of the assets we would have accumulated jointly during the marriage. By trying to arrange this meeting, she lost her poker-face a bit, and let through a "tell" (to my advantage).

7. Pete1970

Well i think being the bigger person and showing maturity and patience will work to your advantage.

I wish i can give you better advice as you have been a great source of advice and support for me, i just havent gone through this part yet

8. HopeFloats

I see zero reason to meet her when she is taking that nasty, threatening tone with you. You have nothing to be ashamed of. But you also have nothing to gain from playing games with her. Keep it as business like and civil as possible. Like you said, your kids will see the contrast and draw their own conclusions.

---------- Post added 1st Jan 2014 at 07:15 PM ----------

That whole part she wrote about picking a location where no one would see you together sounded to me like an attempt to shame you. I just want to reaffirm that you have zero to be ashamed of.

9. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greatwhale: If you decide to do this meeting with her, and it is not illegal in your state to do so without informing her, buy one of the inexpensive tiny voice recorders that record to SD cards and have it in your shirt pocket during the meeting. If nothing else, it will be useful to you to remember what you said and how you said it, as well as recording information which might be useful to your lawyer in court, if it comes to that. You might not be able to use that in court directly as evidence, but it could point the way to questions which your attorney might want to ask, particularly if she intends to use your orientation as a form of "blackmail" against you to achieve a settlement more favorable to her. Your attorney should be able to tell you whether it is legal or not in your jurisdiction.

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As I will never meet her that way I won't need to do this; but I did already seriously consider recording the event. I actually have an electronic pen that does this... :badgrin:

I'm in a better position if I don't respond to threats and keep things civil. I have nothing to be ashamed about, I do, after all, live in the one province in this country that allowed same-sex civil unions before anyone else. I don't see how she can possibly bring this up to her advantage. I only see this as her attempt to humiliate me. Well, this will turn out worse for her if she tries it.

I will probably report this little exchange to her lawyer :badgrin:, and remind him that if they have any evidence, they had better produce it way before there are any hearings.

11. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

gw-(*hug*) Proud of you for how your dealing with your STBX. Thank you for all your support & wisdom in getting me thru my own divorce. Just continue being you. (*hug*)
    I want one of those pens!

12. Aldrick

Don't you have your own lawyer? It's almost always better to let your own lawyer handle this type of stuff.

13. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, I ran out of the money needed to pay my lawyer, but that has forced me to learn the rules, and it's not rocket science...

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    GW, you sound like the bigger person in this back and forth volley, and I am rooting for you to grab the bull by the horns, metaphorically speaking, and wish you a lot of calm and peace when this all subsides. The bigger person always irritates the smaller person when they don't get the nasty and heated exchange they are seeking, it seems.

15. palimpsest

It will be nice when it is all over and the games can stop. At this point the best thing is to wait for the judge, I just hope your family court system is not as "impartial" as ours!

And since she is playing poker with you, have you been tracking your own tells? Or is that sort of entrapment way out of her league?

16. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Pal!

I "tell" her so little already, the hints, if there are any are usually contrived. I am sick of these games, but until she sees the light, I am forced to play them.

17. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Holy cannoli Batman, your STBX is the Queen B - itch!!! I've always wondered why it is that the nicest guys seem to end up with the psycho-b*itches... and the nice gals end up with the abusive SOB's. :shrug:

Does she not realize that trying to utilize sexuality (without infidelity) against you in a court of law would result in a case for discrimination should the judge show any impartiality? My naive faith in the justice system (I had an uncle who was a Canadian Judge - wig and all) gives me the optimistic thought that if she were to try, a really good judge would lean in your favor even if only as a precaution!

Oh well, you've handled it in the best possible manner and it seems to be the unanimous opinion of this thread that we all have faith in you to continue unfailingly - as frustrating as that will undoubtedly be for you in the process. Has a court date been set yet? Is there any indication of an end to the insanity?

18. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reading about your wife makes me think of a comment made by a very sweet old lady at church, who pretty much shines with the love of Jesus, plays Mrs. Santa Claus at the winter town activities, "receives" songs from the Lord (some of which have melodies that I think he gave to someone else first and then re-gifted, however!). She commented about an awful person that we knew, "It would be wrong of me to wish he were dead. But I pray that one day God rewards him for the deeds of his life....and as soon as possible!!!!"

If your wife is not capable of seeing the damage she is doing to your family and the awful behavior she is showing, I hope she reaps the full reward of it one day!

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Dragonbait: Thank you for your support, what's remarkable is that all I have to do is show you the facts, quotes, etc., I don't even have to judge; everyone sees what I'm dealing with and comes to their own conclusions.

My wife wants to see me suffer, she wants me to atone for my "sins" (stupidity is a sin?) and when she sees that I ain't, that I'm deliriously ecstatic to be out of that situation, her blood boils...if she wants to bring up the issue of my sexuality: well bring it on baby, have I got a story to tell you!

@ CB I have faith that karma's going to be a real bitch for someone in this relationship...

20. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greatwhale: I am so sorry that your STBX wife is adopting this MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) way of ending your marriage. It would be so much better for both of you if she would just recognize that for reasons beyond either of you to control, your relationship should be ended without wasting all of your mutual assets paying attorneys to fight a proxy battle between you. No sins have been committed, just mistakes caused by the complexity of human sexuality; no punishment is due anybody, only resolution.