1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Study: Out of the Closet and Into the Trenches: Gay Male Baby Boomers, Aging, and HIV

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by skiff, Jan 13, 2014.

1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Anybody read this study?

Gerontologist

Out of the Closet and Into the Trenches: Gay Male Baby Boomers, Aging, and HIV

"Our conclusion suggests that a fuller examination of the role of HIV/AIDS in the lives of gay male Baby Boomers, using a life course perspective, is critical to appreciating this generation’s heterogeneity and to expanding knowledge of how later life is shaped by the intersection between historical events"

Tom

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Study: Out of the Closet and Into the Trenches: Gay Male Baby Boomers, Aging, and

I've not read the study.

I did see a feature, either on TV or in the paper, about the older segment of the baby boom generation living in San Francisco who had survived AIDS diagnoses, either by their constitutions, late onset of symptoms, and drugs and treatments that worked for them, while some of their peers had died. One gentleman was living in public housing, was fairly high functioning, but complained about bodily functions that were starting to cause him difficulty, largely relating to arthritis that was causing him both pain and limitations in his ability to use his hands. I think the hard part for many is "survivor guilt" and having outlived their friends who passed away too early.

I also read an article somewhere called something like "AIDS at 30," which means it must have been written in 2011. Same thing. It talked about people who were seropositive or diagnosed, and functioning either very healthily or with somewhat diminished capacity.

3. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Study: Out of the Closet and Into the Trenches: Gay Male Baby Boomers, Aging, and

It makes sense that a life course perspective would be helpful. I can't imagine gay men of that age group not being strongly affected on a variety of levels by the events of those years. While there was never a single "gay culture", I think there was even more diversity in reaction to AIDS.

Thanks for the link. Looks like a subscription is needed to access the full article. :frowning2: