1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make it easier for my wife?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Paul13, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Paul13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am comforted by seeing how many others are experiencing exactly the same roller coaster ride I am going through at the moment. My wife and I had been married for 20 years when I fell in love with our young single closeted gay neighbor (28year old). Initially I kept my true emotions secret. I spoiled him with expensive gifts , home cooked dinners, vacations etc. My wife started becoming uncomfortable when it became clear that we could not get enough of each other. I declared my love for him about 10 months ago. We had never been sexually involved and I avoid all direct physical contact with him because I realize that I might be unable to control myself. He denies his love for me but I know that he loves me (and my psychologist agrees). He repeatedly indicated that I should give him much more space which I did. He seems to be confused as well, because he usually contacts me (so he sends mixed messages). He is a dedicated Christian and uncomfortable with his homosexual orientation which he tries to fight.

I attempted to maintain a friendship with him but my wife got jealous and keeps me away from him which makes me angry. I still love her, but has lost all of my sexual attraction towards her.

I told my wife about a month ago that I am gay and have said it again in more subtle ways, maybe for her to adjust to the shock. However she remains in denial. I moved out of the house to get some distance to try and clear my head, and also to avoid experiencing, and feeling guilty about my wife's profound sense of shock and suffering.

I would like to know of ways in which I could make it easier for my wife. Should I allow her to gradually work through her denial or is it better to be clear to her about my homosexual orientation. We are both seeing psychologists, she only started very recently.

#1 Paul13, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  2. Torn86

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Be honest, truthful, apologetic ... But don't give her false hope. You clearly know your gay and have no interest in her. But do care about her feelings. Cold blunt truth. There is nothing subtle about your predicament. Make sure she knows it's nothing she has done, and it's all you. You have done the right thing by moving out

3. Paul13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you Torn

My gut feeling is also to be blunt, words cannot hurt more than reality itself. However, it is quite unlikely that I will find a soulmate at my age. I prefer much younger men who are usually not interested in older men, although many people regard me as attractive and I am in good shape. Except for the closeted one that I had found who iikes his closet more than me. Maybe it is preferable to live in a platonic relationship with my wife than to grow old as an unhappy, lonely gay man?

4. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

I would ABSOLUTELY discourage you from living a platonic marriage if you know you will be unhappy. At 45, I'd show interest in you. My wife is 38. So that's close; I'm 32. I'm questioning my own romantic interests, as well as my own gender identity.

All the best ... DON'T make yourself unhappy just for fear of being alone!

5. Spaceman

Hi Paul... This is the exact thought that is haunting me at the moment. Was coming out to my wife a huge mistake that I'll live to regret? Our marriage had devolved to a platonic partnership long before I told her I was gay. Would it have better to stay quiet and closeted?

It's only been 3 months...too soon to know the answers to those questions, but I can't stop my mind from second guessing my decision.

Of course the third scenario, the one we hope for, is to find real mutual love with a man...a love that includes the sexual attraction that was missing from our relationship with our wives. It is possible. There are a few on this forum who have found it. Is it a foolish thing to strive for given the huge price and the uncertainty of success? I'm afraid only time will tell.

6. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Sounds all too familiar. I came clean to myself, and what a hot mess I've gotten myself into. Seems there are a lot of us. Way I try to look at it, I'm embarking on a new adventure. Not sure where it'll lead, not what else I'll find out about myself, but you only live once. I'm not sure I can live with all those "what ifs.":smilewave

#6 Miss Emma, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2014
  7. Paul13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Emma, deep down I realize that "what ifs" is not the right way to approach this. Spaceman, I am with you.

Thank you for your replies!

8. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since you have already come out, you make it easier on her by letting her do what she needs to do on her own time schedule, while making sure she is financially secure just as she was when you were together. What you do not do is backtrack and try to pretend that it was all just a big mistake, and fake caring for her again. You have told her the truth; stick with it and help her readjust her situation to address the fact that you are leaving her as a mate, but still supporting her as a good friend with shared history.

Your friend isn't going to make much progress until he comes out to himself, and then to you, if he ever does.

9. Paul13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the support. I really appreciate it.

I am the only one who my friend has come out to. My wife also knows that. I was busy supporting him during the early steps of his coming out. He tries to date gay men but becomes overly anxious when he does go out. He is relaxed when we go out because people accept he is my son. He is obviously gay while I do not appear to be gay. I don't mind at all when we are out or what other people think.

He tells me he already made a decision to come out.

Should I keep contact with him like my therapist recommends? We could support each other in our processes of coming to terms with ourselves?

10. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Well if he's decided to come out, FABULOUS!! You can support each other, and UHF you two have feelings for each other, which it sounds like you might, then give it a shot. You're on a new adventure. Go where it leads, and follow your heart.

11. tscott

Despite my best efforts, my wife did not initially cope well, but honesty is key, because any white lie will be used against you. We're now looking at an amicable seperation and divorce. You've crossed the Rubican. There is no going backwards. No one willingly goes through this much to tuck tail and run back. I you do you're owned by her lock, stock, and barrel. Congratulations on the hardest decision you've ever made.

12. Paul13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks to both of you.
    This really helps

13. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

I'm assuming you meant tscott and myself. You're welcome. Happy to help. :slight_smile: That's why we're here!

14. vamonos

I don't agree that you crossed the Rubicon. Not yet, anyway.

You have to take these things one day at a time.

15. Paul13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, it feels as if I am just getting into the Rubicon.

Regards

16. Richie.

I'm in the same boat, just be honest, don't hide anything ever again... Maybe therapy. My wife and I start therapy next week...

17. Paul13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks Richie

I have been in intensive therapy for 6 months and my wife about two months. I am still not sure why my therapist insists that I have to maintain contact with the guy that I had fallen in love with. It goes against my intuition and Contributes towards my not reaching a decision to divorce my wife or not. I feel like I need to speed things up to get to a conclusion so that I could continue with my life.

My heart says I must leave her, my head says no. If there is a 5% chance of the guy falling for me! I am willing to give up my marriage. I have moved into an apartment and me and my "friend" is limiting our contact but he acknowledges that he is " missing the best friend" he had ever had.

I hope you get an excellent therapist. It does make the journey more tolerable.

Regards

18. Paul13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi

Is there anybody that has experience of intergenerational gay relationships that lasted?
    Say a 15-20 year age difference.

I would appreciate any feedback. I have read somewhere that these type of relationships tend to be more durable than same age relationships.

19. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Paul13,

Keep in mind this is EC and not "happy haven" and personal experiences are biased towards the negative. People who never have problems never end up in therapy or on EC.

I know a straight couple where the wife is 20 years older than the husband and it has always been bliss for both. He is now in his 40's, she is in her 60's and all is good and it all started in his early 20's.

Neither has ever sought help for non existant problems and they would never be tabulated as a successful mixed age couple because there is no problem.

20. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Paul13--

I'm a little late to this discussion, but I also know couples with a pretty significant age spread who are quite happy. One couple in particular is 20 or so years apart, with the husband being the older. I would have to say they are one of the most well-adjusted couples I know, and the reason is simple: They know who they are, and they know what they want. Neither feels dependent on the other, and they're not together because they feel that they desperately need one another. They love each other, but they liked and respected each other first. I don't know that I'd really consider them "soul mates", whatever that is, and while both are very ethical and honest people (with just a touch of self-centeredness!), they have very little shared "cultural history". But they do have SOME interests in common, and are secure enough to allow each other time apart to pursue what is NOT in common. To some degree, she is a trophy wife, and to some degree, he is a sugar daddy. But they are what the other needs, and it works--and it works remarkably well.

You can play a whole numbers game to determine what your age limit might be, and make a lot judgments based on what you THINK might work and might not. But in the end, I think if you concentrate on the person, rather than a mental checklist, you are probably better off. Shared history may be the tipping point that makes you work with someone. Or shared interests. Or shared goals. It doesn't have to be ALL of those factors, just the one or two that are the most significant to the both of you, that will make it click and work. But the common ground of this couple (and a few others I know with larger age spreads) is that they know who they are and what they want.

Thus speaks a guy with no experience who is still living with his wife, and scoping and dreaming! But I can tell you that based on my small and awkward dating experiences years ago, and my marriage, that the single biggest obstacle to our happiness as a couple has NOT been that I'm gay and she's straight. It was that neither of us understood ourselves, or knew what we wanted our partner to be. No one can fill your deepest need if you don't know what it is to begin with. I have a much better idea what mine is now than I ever did. She still doesn't, and it's possible she never will. But if you have someone 15-20 years your junior and it seems right, no one but YOU can be the judge of whether or not it IS right.