1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

depressed and lonely

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Miss Emma, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Just got off the phone with my wife. She's not coming home until it's time to get my son from school, after I've gone to work.

She tells me that when we get our tax money, she's gonna get a lawyer for divorce, and she may move to Colorado with the kids. A state away (at least there's Denver). I'm trying to figure out how I'm gonna pay 1100 -1200 dollars in child support and be able to live. Let alone see my kids.

I'm so hurt, I'm starting to hate myself again for being like this. I'm wondering how I'll ever find someone to love me for me. How I'll find someone who'll go for a divorcee with that kind of "baggage"and want to have a relationship if I've got no way to even support myself. Wondering what the point is to even stay alive. If I'd known it earlier on in life, I'd have not gotten married.

Anyone else have something like this happen? Maybe not the gender issues, but just the "divorced with kids" thing for coming out? Should I have not come out?

2. Paul13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Emma
    Your words have consoled me during the past weekend. I am so sorry to heat about your predicament. Please read a poem by Derek Wallcot "Love after love". I found it on Google. I think we are beating ourselves up too much and learn to love and accept us for who we are. If confusion is part of the package, rather lean into that and bear with it. It will come and go, and maybe decrease over time. We have survived so far, which means we are strong.

Let me know what you think about the poem.

Love

3. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Thank you Paul. I'll certainly check that now.

---------- Post added 20th Jan 2014 at 09:35 AM ----------

Love After Love

The time will come when, with elation you will greet yourself arriving at your own door, in your own mirror and each will smile at the other's welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat. You will love again the stranger who was your self. Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

all your life, whom you ignored for another, who knows you by heart. Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes, peel your own image from the mirror. Sit. Feast on your life.

-Derek Walcott

That brought me to tears, Paul. It's SOOOOO hard right now to see it that way, y'know? Right now. Thank you for that. I needed it.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    " Should I have not come out?"

If you hadn't come out, what would have happened? I could sit here and write down the results I've seen from other people who didn't, but I don't need to. You already know what would have happened if you didn't come out.

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that both my parents remarried people, and both the people they married had been married before, perhaps it's because I get on really well with children, but I personally don't see 'married with kids' to be as big a downside as you do! It will put some people off sure, but then just about anything you can think of will put of someone.

The child support payments and the children being a state away however, is awful. Having said that, is there no consideration to be made for the fact that SHE is the one deciding to move SO FAR AWAY that you couldn't POSSIBLY be of any help in raising your children, and she is doing this of her own accord? I have never understood why the parent who doesn't get to keep the children has to be financially crippled because the parent who DOES takes it upon themselves to make life difficult.

5. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

You know Ellia, you're right. SHE is the one moving. I understand why she needs to leave me, but she's the one going to where she's got an old friend, where he and his girlfriend can help her raise the kids. Not me, "New Mom" but he and his girlfriend. Unfortunately, not understanding why the non-custodial parent has to be financially crippled doesn't change the fact that it IS.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not viewing the kids as a downside. Anyone who'd think so isn't someone if want to be with anyhow. But ... I don't know. I'm just not interested in being alone as a way of life.

Deeply despairing

Side note -- I'm wondering if I'm not actually female inside but am "bargaining" with myself to be gq so I can rationalize not transitioning because of the costs incurred in doing so on so restricted an income from all this. I just looked in the mirror and said "Emma, what's wrong with you, girl? You're not like this. You're happy, bubbly, and others at work have said just that about you."

#5 Miss Emma, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014
  6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Emma, what's wrong with you, girl? You're not like this. You're happy, bubbly, and others at work have said just that about you.""

As if you've just made me cry!

7. vamonos

I just went through all that. It's a whole other world with its own language.

Attorneys aren't your friend.

This is how it works:
    Parent who has kid(s) gets money from other parent. Wife can take kids far away then file for divorce. It makes shared custody difficult. She gets more money this way.

Each state if different. They use standard tables designed for low-income people. They take a percentage of your income, for example, 20%.

If you have high income, she gets a lot of money. There are no caps, except I think in Nevada?

If you have a job, the state will send an order to your employer to send them the money.

You will pay the income tax on this money. She gets it from you tax-free.

The state agencies are very aggressive about collecting. They don't care about your personal expenses. You have to adjust. One guy couldn't. He walked to the courthouse and shot himself.

8. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

That's not good, vamonos. Shot himself in the courthouse? Ouch!

Btw ... Is that 20% PER CHILD?!? OUCH ... there's 80% of my income!

9. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You want screwed up...?

I was a stay at home dad for 14 years. I am eligible for alimony support but I am not pursuing it as it would only hurt my kids.

I am about 40 days from being homeless, unemployed in a job market and gay community that only honors youth.

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.

I made a mistake but honoured my duty to my children, I still am and... Nice guys finish last followed only by honourable gay men.

10. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

I feel for you, skiff. That's terrible! It's like our (ex) spouses think we're doing this to hurt them. So, they hurt us. Cisgender, trans, gay, lesbian, they hut us because they just don't understand. My wife told my she'd rather me have come out gay than Trans. Said she could at least understand that a bit (from the "choosing to be that way" perspective). :bang:

11. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    " Said she could at least understand that a bit "

And yet somehow she makes it sound like it's YOUR fault! How is HER not being able to understand something YOUR fault?

12. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Y'know, Ellia, I've no idea. But she's said it. Along with "i don't give a f&@# about your feelings." But she's entitled to her own feelings like it's a given (which it is).

13. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Emma, it's sad that people can't still understand the transgender existence. I find it to be the problem that people can't wrap their head about something that isn't clear cut. It's like "gay or straight we know what team you play for".

But transgender isn't the same as sexuality (related however). And that's the hard thing for most since society at least in the western world is so gender defined.

We all are here for you.

14. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Thanks Kasey.

15. K2 40YOV

K2 40YOV Guest

I'm not sure about your state law. In my province, if you go for 50-50 shared custody, court can impose a distance limit on how far away one can live... usually and hour max

Is there any reason why she would get full custody if she pursued it with a lawyer? You should go and see a social worker if possible to ask some of the questions and get some resources for your state law. Ask her to see a mediator instead... way cheaper for both parties... the lawyers always win. They will stir up shit and get you fighting so that they can bill more.

16. vamonos

Shot himself outside on the steps to make a point. I think he went a bit too far. I've heard other stories of suicide.

With four kids you pay a bit more than if you only had one. It's not 20% per child. Keep in mind you still have to pay income tax on this money. You still have to pay into Social Security. Depending on the state you live in, you may have to pay state income tax.

You may also have to pay alimony.

If you get behind in paying child support they can take your drivers license, deny passport renewal and then put you in jail. If you're lucky the guard will leave you a bed sheet.

You may have to move into transitional housing with homeless people if your parents won't take you back.

Other than that it isn't bad at all.

17. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

With four kids you pay a bit more than if you only had one. It's not 20% per child. Keep in mind you still have to pay income tax on this money. You still have to pay into Social Security. Depending on the state you live in, you may have to pay state income tax.

You may also have to pay alimony.

If you get behind in paying child support they can take your drivers license, deny passport renewal and then put you in jail. If you're lucky the guard will leave you a bed sheet.

You may have to move into transitional housing with homeless people if your parents won't take you back.

Other than that it isn't bad at all.

No, doesn't sound like it ... Yeah. It's a lot to take in, i know that much. I'm not sure how it's figured, but my supervisor says it's on a 3-yr average basis. My parents are assholes. Bigots. Narcissists. No chance of taking their queer "son" in, not without more psychological abuse.

Any more good news?

18. tscott

I'll give my wife credit...we're going to see a mediator...currently only wants half of the expences for camps, afterschool care, and what is currently owed on my eldest's school loan...she also makes 3x's what I make...I suppose I could go for alimony like Skiff, but there's something ungentlemanly about it...the resentment would be huge...lawyers aren't your friends in that Vamonos is correct...but you need them to protect yourself...so arm yourself as best you can...most LGBT organizations offer some basic advice and can recommand a gay family lawyer...will be praying for you...if that's ok...I wouldn't want to offend you(*hug*)

19. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Tim,

I said I would never go after alimony as it would only hurt my children financially.

You are correct it would be very ungentlemanly.

20. vamonos

You have to adjust expenses. I got a much cheaper home that I like more. I now have a one-hour commute to work instead of 5 minutes. I save so much on housing that my money to burn has actually gone up.

My employer gives me a free transit pass for the commuter train so I don't have to buy gas or pay for parking.

I live near a nice restaurant and eat regular meals instead of fast food. I lost 4 inches off my waist.

So, in a way this turned out good.