1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is what got me to start my process of coming out...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by StillAround, Jan 24, 2014.

1. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I just joined EC earlier this week and started a thread to introduce myself. The response was terrific (and insightful), so I wanted to start this one up...

So how did I decide, at almost 70, that it's time to open the closet door? Good question, glad you asked.

I've had several careers in my life, and one of them was teaching secondary school. Not long before I retired from that, I taught a student who particularly impressed me with his insight and maturity. Several years later, we became FB friends and stayed in touch. He came out of his closet at 19 with as smooth a transition as anyone could hope for today, and that no one could have imagined when I was 19.

He and I have kept in touch through his college career, meeting for coffee 2-3 times a year, and I greatly enjoyed our time together, watching a young man grow into his own with none of the issues of the generations before him. He'd never even heard of Stonewall or Anita Bryant. (Sorry, I'm showing my age--stories for another time.)

I hadn't seen him for some time until a week ago, when he invited me to lunch with his family and new boyfriend (his second serious relationship). Anyway, here we all were, at his mom's house, he and his boyfriend sitting side by side, holding hands. Whenever one of them got up, he would touch the other, sliding a hand across the back, or just touching an arm.

I was overcome (no exaggeration) with both the joy of seeing them together, accepted by family and friends as any other couple would want to be, and with the sadness that I had never had that intimacy with another man.

And I want that. I need that. And so I knew--it was time for me.

Any other stories out there that this rings a bell with, or even stories that this doesn't resonate with? I'm all ears...

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey StillAround, as the old saw goes: "as long as there's life, there's hope".

This has been of year of me integrating myself into the gay community, there are tons of stories (join a gay hotline as a volunteer like I did, and you will have your fill of stories!).

It is a beautiful, infuriating, kind, bitchy, funny, and courageous bunch of people, these LGBT folk...how can you not have wonderful stories!

3. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know. I think part of what draws me to the young is their vulnerability, their bravery, and the injustice of having to go through what they do. But then I guess that's also true of all of us. But how wonderful that they can access the kinds of resources that folk like you can provide!

I do so much volunteer work now that I can't imagine taking on more. But I have thought many times of doing what you're doing. A great way of finding yourself while helping others do the same.

4. Clay

You mentioned that it was him that made you decide to come out, have you thought about talking to him about it?

#4 Clay, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  5. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. Plan to talk to one of them face to face on Sunday, and the other by phone by Sunday night. But they're so young, and I want to be so careful not to damage or use them. They are both so young.

6. Clay

Oh I'm glad to hear that. Though by the sounds of it they're in their early 20's? In that case I don't think you have to worry about damaging or using them, though I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that, because they're an openly gay adult couple. Whatever you're worrying about for them, you won't need to.

7. Nick07

You can start doing it here :slight_smile: There is a lot of people who will appreciate your experience and helping hand.

8. Purplefrog

Purplefrog Guest

Lovely to have you here, StillAround. I was really struck by your generosity of heart towards this young man.

9. Noelle

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    StillAround, I am so glad you posted this. I am 42 and came out later in life. It's actually the young adults who have helped me more than anyone because they are more accepting of LGBT issues. My family and friends are conservative, so that makes things difficult. They accept me for me, but I don't think they completely accept all of me. It will come with time. As I just posted in another thread, my dad is slowly coming around. Hopefully one day we will all have that acceptance of our family and friends.

10. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, Noelle. I'm old enough that coming out to parents is no longer an issue: dad died in '78, mom in '95. I have one sister, 3 years older, whom I suspect won't be all that surprised, though clearly not happy with the mess I've created. Then again, she has a mid-30's gay son, so who knows?

I do though, have one female cousin, about 8 years younger than I, and I care a lot about her opinion. She's very tolerant and progressive--sort of a kindred spirit--and a social worker to boot, so I think that will be OK.

I had discussed my same-sex attraction with my wife a year or so ago, but last night I came out definitively to her, and I have a lot of wreckage to deal with. I hope so much we'll be able to remain friends when this all settles down, because she's been my best friend, my rock, and my guide for so many years. My heart just breaks to see the pain she's in.

Who ever said this would be easy.

And I hope you're right. I'm having coffee with one the young men in the morning, and I'll be dropping quite the bombshell on him...

11. Noelle

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mom has passed away, but I did get the chance to come out to her about a year before she died. She took it well at first but then struggled with it due to religious beliefs. I knew she would always love me no matter what, though.

It sounds to me like your sister and cousin will be supportive, but I'm sure there will be a lot of feelings for them to process.

Whatever happens, just know that we are here for you.

12. DesertTortoise

What you wrote about being so moved by the open affection between men... and feeling that you had been missing something you wanted and needed, echoes with my experience, and I'm way older than you. When I have doubts or second guesses... like, have I done the right thing for myself? Is this who I am? ... at my age, sexual confirmation is not so easy to find, but being with men who are comfortable showing affection, being able to embrace and kiss in greeting, this alone is enough to dispel any doubts. Still hard to get my head around the change, but that I am so much happier in my body, in my life. Sometimes explanations are extraneous, beside the point.

13. StellarJ1

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I am not sure I know what you mean by that, either. Personally, I would embrace all of the gay community you already have as a part of your life. That kind of support is immeasurable, especially when you are making a transition. They can be much more supportive and understanding if they know what you are going through. They will learn just as much as you do! :slight_smile:

I had the opportunity to have dinner with a gay couple in their 20's last night. I finally came out to them, and I have known them for a couple of years. I was surprised because I feel like I was able to enrich their night as much as they did mine. I was there to get support from them and practice accepting who I am, but I had so much wisdom to share as a repressed gay man.

14. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I admit that I yearn for what you call sexual confirmation, but for now, just that easy affection, that casual touch, that knowing smile, could be enough. Just have to wait and see. Thanks for writing.

15. Paul13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Still around

I came out to my wife about a month ago, and moved into an apartment two weeks ago. At times I really long to go back home, the familiar. I often think, what am I doing. I ell in love wraith a gay man 21 years my junior after he consulted me about the conflict between his sexual orientation and religious beliefs. He came out of the closet to his parents who reacted in the worst possible way by playing on his religious beliefs, saying that homosexuality is from the devil. I have expressed my real love for him on many occasions during the past two years but he says I am the "best friend he has ever had in his life. He tries to avoid me after coming out, but I am the only one where he could be honest and open about his conflicts. I advised him to come out to his parents and am very concerned that I may cause him emotional damage.

The fact that you came out at your age is a strong motivation for me to persist on my path of coming out and bear the consequences.

I now hope that he will find a way to live an authentic life. The sharing and support on EC is invaluable and will probably continue to be so for another two years or so. Hopefully not for much longer

Regards

16. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, being a newbie here, a site question... How did my thread end up with stars next to it? I means, it feels flattering (who doesn't like to get stars, from kindergarten on?), but whassup with this?

17. PeteNJ

Doesn't it feel wonderful? :thumbsup:

And at the same time, ending things, moving along, isn't easy.

I felt rather guilty, I was moving towards something - being authentic to the man I was meant to be, while my girlfriend was rather bereft on multiple levels.

Still, compare me to 1 year ago - not only do I look entirely different physically, the freedom in my mind, body, and soul is indescribable.

We're all here to offer you, each other, support on the journey. Its great to celebrate the awesome moments together and send each other hugs when needed.

All the best / Pete

18. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the kind words, Pete. It does feel wonderful. And at the same time, truly, truly awful. My wife has reacted in so much better a way than I deserve. Her grace at this moment humbles me.

I've spent a lot of time reading and rereading the post about learning to feel again... I experienced one of those moments yesterday on a solitary drive. And today, in a conversation with my wife, I wept openly and uncontrollably. I'm still weeping. Is that a V or a B on my keyboard? And I feel so awful and so relieved at the same time. Awful because of what I've put her through; and relieved (even wonderful) because I've started to feel again.

As Skiff says: I give up. I am gay. I am strong.

God, what a feeling. Here it comes again.

I love you all.

19. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    How did the meeting go with the younger guys and what was their reaction.
    People in their 20s and already in some sort of relationship or at least open to the fact they are gay and are happy to tell people they are don't really have any problems when someone older tells them that they are gay as well, well that is my experience anyway.

20. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for asking. I met with just one of the two-- the new boyfriend of my friend; had planned to talk to the other by phone the same evening, as he lives 1000 miles away. I ended up not doing the great reveal. Sorry for the letdown...

It's not that I chickened out; I would have felt quite comfortable telling him--no tension, stress, butterflies in my stomach. It's just that we were both having such a great time talking to each other learning about each other's lives. We had planned to see a movie after a longish chat, but ended up just talking, for over 3 1/2 hours... This wonderful, easy flowing, almost intimate conversation about our lives. It was the kind of conversation I can't imagine having with any of the straight guys I know.

Anyway, I could have steered the conversation to my great reveal at any time, but I realized, as I enjoyed this emotional connection with another human being, that I didn't have to hurry this process. And I felt that it wouldn't be right to just blurt this news out to my original young friend over the phone. I've known him as a friend for 5 years, and I think it would be unfair to tell his boyfriend first. Since my friend will be flying in before the end of February, I'm hoping to be able to see them together and tell them then.

I may be slow to face the truth about myself--a snail would beat me by a mile--but I'm a really quick learner in so many other ways. Just realizing that I can truly be me, that I can let myself be emotionally open and vulnerable without feeling exposed, that I can be that sensitive guy without caring what others may think or guess--that, right now, is so liberating and filled with joy, that I don't need to be in a rush to announce I'm gay. I'll tell those few people who are close to me when the time feels right, not out of fear or anxiety, but because, well, there are all these other things to talk about first.

And the other people, the less significant to me emotionally, I may never tell. And again, not out of fear, but because, in the end, as Richie says in his byline, "who cares?".

Sorry for the long answer to the short question. I just didn't know how to give a short answer, and I seem to be in a talking mood these days.

/Ed.