1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crushes/Dating in your 40's

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Pete1970, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Pete1970

So here is my situation.

I met this guy a few weeks ago who i find really attractive and havent stopped thinking about since. Last night, there was a social event at a bar. I didnt want to go alone as i am not really cpmfortable going to things like that by myself, he was also going so i asked him if we can hang out together and he said yes. So at the event, we basically just hung out together talking and didnt even talk to anyone else.

Now, he is extremely shy and introverted (even worse than me).

So i basically dont know where to go from here. How do i go about letting him know that i am interested without being too pushy?

How do 40 year olds go about this? I dont want to go through the "game" that younger people go through. I want to just ask him out, but scared he will say no because he is so shy. I mean he must be somewhat interested if he only talked to me during the event and even agreed to go with me when he didnt even know me.

Ive been out of the dating scene for a long time and dont really know the "rules" of letting people know im interested

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you're interested in someone, what do you tend to do. Being in your forties has probably afforded you a degree of self-knowledge, but even if it hasn't, your interest in someone generally shows in your body language (which is just as subtle and skill-requiring as any other type of language).

The eyes are probably the most important of these, keep it at a semi-intense level, only look at him and make him feel (as you no doubt want to do anyway) that he's the most important person in the room.

The rule is: there are no rules. Only vulnerability and the willingness and the courage to risk a "no". There can be no "yes" without the possibility of a "no". So go for it, all you have to gain is the delight of discovering someone new!

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would use the word "date".

"would you be interested in going on a date sometime?"

4. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you think he's really that shy, you might just ask him if he wants to hang out sometime? Any common interests? Maybe just a cup of coffee and conversation, since you seemed to enjoy each other's company? No need to go all in just yet...

And that's my two cents' worth, coming from a position of absolutely no experience on the dating scene, with either sex...

/Ed.

#4 StillAround, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  5. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My limited experience in the gay scene is there are friends and dates with hard boundaries and you can get locked into "friend" by not showing dating interest.

Just what I have seen.

6. Pete1970

So I emailed him because I don't have his number. I thanked him for hanging out and that it was nice getting to know him. I gave him my number and told him to feel free to call or email. I guess now the ball is in his court and if he is interested he will get in contact. If I email him again I think it would come off as too desperate.

I guess at the very least I know 100% that I can have an emotional attraction to guys, I knew I had physical attractions before but this was the first emotional attraction.

Thanks guys

7. Highlander2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey GM - great progress! I'd probably not wait until he gets in touch though. If he's as shy as you describe then he might not necessarily make the first move back. What's a reasonable period of time to get back in touch to say, 'hey, was thinking that it would be good to meet up for a coffee soon' kind of thing? A fortnight? I think you can get in touch without it appearing desperate, especially if it's just that 'getting to know you' kind of date. If there's no reply or a brush off at that one, then maybe it's time to leave it to him next time?

I know what you mean though about being in your forties and suddenly finding that you might have that whole game to go through. I'm not advocating 'getting straight to the point' in any chat up conversations: "Yeah, so how about it eh?" (!!) - but having that confidence in yourself as a person others should want to be with and enjoy company with is a liberating experience.

8. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would suggest a confident friendly approach.

"Hey lets do lunch at xxxx"

Lunch is easier, no hidden agenda, and non threatening for him if he is shy.

9. setnyx

i'd probably say something like, i really enjoyed spending time together and would like to do it again sometime.

10. HopeFloats

Skiff has good advice. Reach out to him in a week or so with a specific plan. Ask him out. I agree that lunch is non-threatening. Pick a day and a place, and ask if that works. If he wants to go but that day doesn't work, y'all can work that out. But it's a lot less awkward than starting from scratch "what do you want to do?" "I don't know. What do you like?" "Etc etc.

11. jej121

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    tell him he looks like he has a pretty good eye for fashion and if he could help you pick some clothing out you need then he will be able to see you in what looks best to him if hes eager to dress u up he will probly be just as eager to undress you as well it worked for me

12. Noelle

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    LOL! I love this. Sounds like a risky move to me, but it's great. (&&&)

13. Pete1970

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think i am just going to go for it and ask him. I really dont have anything to lose, we dont live in the same city so its not like i would see him around and be awkward. At least knowing either way would be better than sitting around wondering what if, right?

14. Highlander2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go for it. As you say, what do you have to lose? Hope it goes well :slight_smile:

15. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm with you on this. What do any of us have to lose? Too much lost already...

16. Pete1970

So I emailed him asking if he wanted to get dinner sometime. He said yes and even asked me if I wanted to go with him to a support meeting on Sunday that he was going to. I said I would like very much to go with him but couldn't because of a Superbowl party, but I told him I was free Friday and Saturday if he wanted to do something. That was Monday and I haven't heard anything back.

So what do I do now? I feel like a teenager waiting to get corresondance. Should I email him just to say hi and ask how is day is, etc. I just don't want to push too hard but don't want him to think I am not interested.

17. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, he said he'd like to have dinner with you, and then asked about the support meeting. You said that wouldn't work, and offered him Friday or Saturday "if he wanted to do something." That sounds tentative to me--you started the conversation, after all. So why not just be more concrete? Something like, "What evenings work for you? I'm available on ____, ______, and ______ this next week." I don't think it comes across as pushing too hard. It's just saying, "No, I really am interested in spending time with you. How do we make this work?"

18. Pete1970

Because I have no idea what I am doing. Haven't asked someone out since 1989. Lol

19. Blondeye

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :slight_smile:
    Very sweet! Keep us informed!!!

20. Pete1970

Well, I don't know if he was just being nice but he said he is not in a place right now to pursue anything but he would like to be friends. I think I believe him because he said similar things at the support group before he knew I liked him.

Kind of bummed but I guess its time to move on, at least I have someone to go to events if I want