1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if it doesn't "get better"

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by BlueSky224, Jan 26, 2014.

1. BlueSky224

I know that many people here have similar stories, but I thank you in advance for your support and advice.

I'm 38, single, and I'm sick of hearing "I can't believe you're single." "You seem like a catch."

Although I was out in college, I didn't actually find a date until I was 26. The pool was shallow. I even had trouble finding dates when I lived in the West Village and in San Francisco: I'm quieter, not into the "scene," and it wasn't so easy to date, even in a gay "Mecca."

I eventually found a partner on a site starting with the letters "ok", and we were together for two years. Things fell apart, and I now live in a medium-sized, blue collar city on the West Coast.

I tried connecting with the local LGBT community center, an LGBT foundation, and I've looked for other social groups. I'm on "ok", but gave up on ###, Match, Chemistry, jDate. No luck.

I once flew to Chicago to meet a guy out of desperation (bad idea.) And I drove to Canada to meet another guy (he stood me up... thanks for that.) The online connections only seem to be with guys who are deeply troubled. I managed to go on one date with a guy who spent a lot of time telling me about his recent psychiatric admission (not first date material), and another who was struggling with his personality disorder.

I don't have a specific "type," I'm willing to drive and meet a guy who is further away, but I just can't seem to find anyone at all. The guys online seem to be after open relationships, or I just don't appeal to them at all. 38 is the same as 115 in gay years.

I have a good job (doctor), I'm out, I don't think I"m bad looking, I have a nice place to live, a good sense of humor, but I feel so profoundly isolated. I know I sound pessimistic, but I am indeed discouraged.

The only advice I've found is that
    1) I'm too short (5'6") which is not something I can change.
    2) Most people are turned off by dating a doctor, which is also not something I'm in a rush to change. It's not like I work 36-hour shifts. I have a pretty stable schedule.
    3) I live in the wrong city. I was told that I lived in the wrong city in New York, in Boston, in San Francisco... everywhere is the wrong city.
    4) I travel too much. Well, I go on vacation when I can. It's kind of nice. I can't imagine that this makes me single.

Others suggest that I join a gym (of course I go to the gym!) Or get a dog (I have a nice dog already!)

Is there some magic trick that I'm missing? I turn 39 in less than a month, and it will mean another Valentine's Day alone.

#1 BlueSky224, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Welcome BlueSky. 1st- Valentine's Day is a silly commercial day that causes too much stress & angst for both single people and those with a "Valentine".
    2nd- 5'6 is not too short. Your not in the wrong city. There are gay people everywhere. Just do what your are doing and you'll meet someone who appreciates everything that you are and have to offer.

3. Pete1970

Hi Bluesky,

First off 5'6" isnt too short for me, im 5'10" and i actually like shorter guys.

Secondly, why the heck would someone have a problem with you being a doctor, especially with a stable schedule? That makes no sense. Your financially stable with a good job, those would be positives for me.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey BlueSkye, Welcome to EC!

You do indeed seem to be a catch! I've also become rather discouraged with the websites, had a really crappy date with a guy in Washington DC a few months ago through one of these sites.

One thing that has been important for me is building "the Family", that network that gay guys build over time with each other. There seems to be this pattern of networks that seems to yield some relationships. Do you think there are community (LGBT) organizations that you could join, or perhaps in your travels you could find your way to Provincetown, Palm Springs, Fort Lauderdale or other US locations where gay guys go?

5. StellarJ1

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    This is an interesting paragraph. Did other gay men that you know have trouble finding dates when you were in the West Village or college?

How often do you do something social where you are around other gay men?

6. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had some similar thoughts while out hiking today: What if it doesn't get better?

I've meandered a lot of new and different pathways during my coming out journey, venturing onto trails unknown, pushing past my comfort zones, but still I don't have much to celebrate in the way of friendships or dates.

What if this is the heart of my journey, then?

My hike took me past a gnarled, yet quite magnificent, old cottonwood tree. I was awed by the resilience and character of this solitary tree out on the open plains -- battered by winds and snows and droughts and floods, still standing tall, making the best of the most trying conditions.

How do you manage it, Old Tree, year after year? Your scarred trunk and soaring branches tell of a lifetime's adventures. Are you content in your solitude?

I took some comfort from this tree today. It keeps surviving through good times and bad -- holding back when conditions are tough (but somehow not giving up), flourishing when conditions are fine.

I'm sure there's a lesson in there for us: we must continue to branch out and leave -- maybe someday soon someone will notice how awesome we are...

7. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

First you are a catch, period.

I suspect like me you have been hurt in the past and you have thrown up emotional walls. You are on high alert, shields up, looking for and finding a flaw that automatically eliminates.

Some do it very well, and some take the other approach "all comers but I get close to nobody". It is an interesting dichotomy in the gay community. Whether they are hooking up like rabbits or being so fussy nobody is acceptable the emotional barriers of trust and vulnerability keep us emotionally isolated.

I see it in myself. My shields are up. I am sure there is an off button as I have met men where the chemistry is overwhelming but they are unavailable for various reasons (primarily already partnered).

You are not alone. Most of us are isolated and whether we exhibit it by being alone or having random, emotionless encounters the problem is the same. It is our limited ability to trust, to be vulnerable, to be open that keeps us isolated.

Don't fool yourself, this is not about others it is about self.

Just my opinion. 158 flavours of gay all based in vanilla.

We have to learn to drop the shields we use to protect ourselves that societal oppression built into us.

Tom

8. BlueSky224

Thank you all for your rapid, thoughtful, and sensitive outpouring of support. I am humbled by the kindness of strangers.

Greatwhale, indeed I have made "strategic" travels. I did meet a really great gay guy, also a doctor, a few years older, on one trip. And I ended up meeting up with him again. Absolutely nothing happened between us, but I enjoyed his friendship and vice versa. He has now found a boyfriend.

StellarJ1, I don't have great answers to your questions. My strategy is to never turn down any invitation. I'm not around other gay guys enough. I've been trying to build a "family" of friends, and that's just now starting to happen. They're all straight, but it feels good to fit in. Indeed three of my four gay friends struggle to find dates themselves.

Sagebrush, nature helps. I was having similar, though less profound thoughts looking at the mountains today.

9. tscott

You are a catch and a half. I can't really add much in terms of advice. Don't loose hope. It may be like trying to have a baby. Try too hard and bupkis. Forget about it and relax and soon the stork arrives. I wish you the best, Sport. Momma would plotz if I came home with a doctor...if she were still alive.

10. Richie.

I'm 6'4 and prefer shorter guys. So it's not your height believe me.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First, OP, when you move, you pick up some positive dynamics and inherit some negative dynamics. There is always a trade-off. I've lived in different cities and found this to be true. However, some are better fits.

I don't think moving is the solution. If you moved to a smaller overly conservative area, it could be worse. All large cities have larger gay communities, but there is, as you say, shallowness. That's par for the course when you have single attractive urban gay men with good jobs and disposable income. That also makes for people with their eye on the lookout for something else, hence revolving beds instead of revolving doors. You know how SF can be. I've heard it's even not that easy from straight friends who live or have lived there.

Your height is a non-issue. In college, the guy in my department who got checked out the most was about 5'7." Woof. I heard girls talk about him more so than the tall, typical collegiate types. He had a great face and a good body. Also, the age thing is crap ... sorry. When I was in undergrad, I rubbernecked for dark haired handsome suits in their 30s and 40s with no problem whatsoever. You are still young.

You did not really describe what you're looking for, either in physical or personality attributes. While you may paint a picture of receptiveness, you might be less so, deep down? After all, being a doctor, it's not like you will let just anyone into your life. If I may say so, what I found is that pre-med types started to split off from the others in undergrad, knowing that they would be traveling a different and challenging path. Also, through social media, I see that they frequent their own and that other schooled professionals don't seem that interesting to them, either because they don't have much in common or because the lower paid professional can't live the same lifestyle. Be honest about what you want and if there are limitations you're putting up. We don't know, but you know yourself.

Also, in a large city, there will be plenty of G and B men who are "non scene" that you could befriend and build a network of friends around. It seems like "when you're not looking ... " They could lead to something else. Even if you have a small group of friends, that could be great. And you can send them home at night if you ever get bored with them. Just kidding. However, it's a start.

Since there are "no guarantees," moving is not a solution, in my mind. I went through the phase of looking for the ideal place to live and moved around. I never found it. The scenery may change, but the person doesn't.

#11 Tightrope, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  12. PeteNJ

So I dated, had a crush on, even fell in love with a 5'6 doctor, who worked long hours, is 38.

It was a great match in many ways, except for differing interests in having kids.

Believe me, none of that's REALLY a barrier to finding Mr Right, or at least a guy who,ll be right for a while!

Not sure how rural or blue collar your area is, if that's a serious impediment to finding men similar to your ingests/ background.

Assuming it's not, finding ways to join groups with similar interests - and they exist for really every interest out there -- is good for your own well being, and that can only help make you even more attractive and put you in a place where you'll get exposure to potential dates.

To be blunt, if you want to meet guys, you need to make it a priority to socialize and get involved in groups, organizations, etc.

It'll happen - enjoy the journey!

13. BlueSky224

Again, thank you all for your kind thoughts and reassurance. It means more to me than you could possibly imagine.

Tightrope, you do have a point. I have dated a few guys in the distant past who were from different worlds: didn't have the privilege of having gone to college, and weren't terribly interested in the world around them. I learned that I'm far more drawn to intellectual types (especially guys with eyeglasses!)

Healthcare providers as a whole have a tendency to date each other. For me, it's more likely that I'll take interest in a guy who is a professional or intellectual of some sort. In retrospect, I guess, I do have a "type:" brains are sexy. Money, however, isn't really on the map. I'm in a low-paying specialty, but I'm not strapped for cash. I really don't care if he has money or not... unless he's seeking a sugar daddy.

With that in mind, I've been working on PeteNJ's advice. There are three universities in my town, and my straight friends are among the faculty at all three schools. I feel like this could be a segue.

I've scoured meetup, the LGBT community center, and Google for some sort of group. But I haven't had any luck. I'll keep looking.

And thank you all for your advice about moving. I don't really feel like doing it; and I don't want to live in New York or San Francisco again. That was exhausting. Tightrope, indeed it was hard to have friends at all in these locations.

For now, I came home today feeling good about having helped a lot of people. Now I have to figure out a way to help myself.

14. BlueSky224

This still isn't going well. Perhaps it's winter doldrums. "Crippling loneliness" is the only way I can describe it.

I scour online dating sites, accept every possible invitation to parties... any chance to meet new people. And I'm drawing blanks.

Online, I find lots of guys in New York, DC, and some in Los Angeles. But I ask myself, "what would they see in a guy who lives 2,500 miles away? When bother writing?"

I took a brief vacation to Fort Lauderdale (mostly for sun, not for dating.) I struck up conversation with this fashion designer from Costa Rica, who informed me that my "clock is ticking" as i approach 40, that I'm "socially awkward," and then he criticized my clothes. I think I was able to guess that this guy had many problems of his own, but he did a quick job of making me feel terrible.

My family connections aren't deep. The trip to Florida coincided with my birthday, which was on Valentine's Day. My parents didn't call, my sister didn't call, but some woman from United Airlines gave me a hand-written card and three bottles of wine. I apparently matter more to United than to my family. This is nothing new; it just felt more isolating than usual.

I receive many heartfelt, kind thank-you's from my patients, and I treasure those cards and emails. But that's not the same as a friendship or a relationship. And my dog is loving and sweet. But I fear that's all I have.

I strive to make connections outside of work, and I've befriended some people my age. They're straight, coupled, but they're kind. We don't know each other any sort of deep level, but they're charming people.

I see a psychologist, who has been helpful. And I tell myself that a relationship doesn't fix life's problems. But I think my last date was perhaps in May. Right now, all I can hope is that springtime will lead to more opportunities to connect. But right now, it feels impossible.

I'm off to Miami on Saturday, so perhaps the beach and sun will lift my spirits. (And I'll avoid Costa Rican fashion designers.)

15. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That fashion designer from Costa Rica was a putz, and obviously has a few screws loose if not a number of issues. Don't take these guys seriously, they're not worth any mental processing time.

It is right and proper that a relationship does not exist to fix life's problems, it is very true, and the proper attitude to take when dating (it will happen, most assuredly). The moment you think you need a relationship is the moment you are willing to compromise with someone who is less than ideal. So my first comment would be: do not settle.

Two of Somerset Maugham's famous quotes apply here:

and:

I wish you all the best. Keep trying and keep an open mind, you never know when or where, but it will happen, I am sure!

16. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    dating closer to home is clearly a good idea, but don't rule out the long distance ones

a friend of mine in the UK get chatting to a guy in the USA. At first just a lot of chatting online, then visits and now they got together

17. Molly1977

Hi Bluesky, I understand your situation. I have been going to councelling over the last few weeks and have talked about a lot of the same things as you. I know I'm good looking, smart and a nice person but I haven't ever found someone to date, I'm talking noone. My councellor said a lot of finding someone is down to fate, I could go to meet up groups, move city to find someone, go online to find a date and not get anywhere. Then one day when I am least expecting anything to happen I will be standing in a department store or just walking down the street not thinking about anything when I could meet the love of my life.

I know its crappy to say you just have to wait to let fate decide, obviously go out and socialise, you will never meet anyone sitting at home, but don't walk around constantly thinking that person could be the one or is today the day I will meet someone. Just be open to the possibility of meeting someone, relax and be friendly to everyone you meet and one day someone will become a partner for you.

Hope this helps xxxxxxx

18. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Crippling loneliness" is such an apt description. I know the feeling. It seems compounded when you know you're getting out there, but things still aren't clicking the way you want. Frustrating...

Gotta keep making connections, though -- they may open unexpected possibilities. (Easier said than done, I know...)

I'd mentioned my loneliness to a coworker earlier this winter. Today, she quietly gave me a list: it was filled with suggestions about social apps, websites, and regional venues where I might be able to meet guys. She'd gotten these suggestions from a gay shopkeeper she knows. This was a totally unexpected gesture, and I was touched by my colleague's thoughtfulness for my well-being.

I've feared discussing my loneliness with too many people, but I'm beginning to realize that it's OK to reach out to others for support. You never know when they might help give you a gentle push in the right direction.

It's also a big help that spring is almost here -- winter's been tough on maintaining a positive attitude. I'm feeling a little more hopeful again now that the days are getting brighter and warmer.

19. BlueSky224

Thank you, Molly1977 and Sagebrush.

As I thought about it today, I do think there is a seasonal component. It's cold, fewer people are out doing much of anything, and it's a stressful time at work. So the combined cold and exhaustion aren't exactly fertile ground.

The online dating world gets more baffling by the moment. It does seem how most people connect, but it's so easy to be "voted off the island," so to speak.

I'm on vacation next week, so perhaps that will lift my spirits. Even if I'm alone, I'll be away from my world for a few days.

I click so well with my patients (I got huge hugs today from two of them, and two tremendously kind emails.) I just wish I could translate my ability to form such good doctor-patient skills into boyfriend-boyfriend skills.

20. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey BlueSky,

Not only in the online world baffling, it is often interspersed with fraudulent posers. I've had to deal with three of them so far, it is very annoying.

Have a great vacation!