1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just discovered my suppressed side

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Jules17, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Jules17

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I am a 52 year old female who just discovered that i am bisexual. I found out when I developed a crush on someone at work who is openly lesbian. I am totally taken by surprise at my discovery and although I can totally accept what I am, I am not ready to shout it out to the world. I am married with 2 children, but now I feel I need to know more about what it is to be bisexual. I've read a little about what it is to be bi, but I just want to know how I should proceed now that I know what I am. Can anybody give me some advice?

2. wanderinggirl

Congratulations! Being honest with yourself is the first step on the journey to self-fulfillment. Although I was a good deal younger, I did discover my suppressed side after a few serious relationships with men, and since then a lot of things have fallen into place for me. I hope the same happens for you; there is no age limit on discovering new things about yourself.

What it meant for me to be bi: ignoring other peoples' definitions and labels for me, reconciling my past relationships with my new discovery, and avoiding overanalyzing everything and trying to make everything fit neatly into a box. It meant that I was more aware of what really attracted me to a person, and less manipulative in relationships because I finally understood what I wanted/needed.

It also meant watching all the lesbian movies on netflix and reading all the lesbian things on the internet.

Although you don't have to shout it from the rooftops, maybe this is something you should talk to your husband about. If this is something you want to explore, then you definitely should talk to him about it.

Good luck and welcome to the community!

3. Jules17

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks for sharing. I've also talked to a straight friend who's a therapist and was advised to take things slowly, not get involved when I was vulnerable, i.e. find out more without getting involved with another person. When I first found out, I had a very strong urge to act on my physical attraction to this other person. It's been 2 weeks and I'm glad I didn't act on it. I'm seeing things a lot clearer now. It's such a simple thing- not to act on our feelings - but I guess sometimes when we are so overwhelmed with feelings, we can't just think clearly. So now I'm just exploring my "other side" quietly and slowly - watching lesbian videos, finding out more about bisexuality on the internet and looking for gay /lesbian groups to join.