1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Later in life Trans question

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Claudette, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Hi everyone, I just started being an "active" MTF trans. I have a few questions pertaining to this journey I've finally accepted.
    I'm currently seeing a therapist (not because I deny who I am) it's one of the per-requisites for SRS.

Now will there be a point in time where they recommend I take Hormones? or should I start taking them? (I am a healthy individual)

I did some research on Hormone therapy, & I am aware of certain wanted effects (fat being stored in thighs for curves, growing breasts, softer skin, slower growing facial hair etc etc) but I was curious if these hormones would also effect how I look, physically. It's not a bad thing if it does, I would like it to (it would give me more courage)

should I come out of the closet to everyone now? until I'm officially "diagnosed"? or when I start the hormones?

Thanks for all the advice to come!

2. Nick07

I think that you should definitely wait and consult it with the therapist and doctors. You will need a health check too.
    As fot the look, have you checked youtube videos?

3. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Physically, im in great shape.
    I have looked through youtube videos.. im still trying to grasp this whole make-up stuff lol

4. Nick07

Physically - that means considering your regularly taken blood tests? I may be wrong but I suppose taking hormones requires you to go through regular blood tests anyway so that the doctor knows how your body reacts to the treatment.
    The trouble is the treatment can influence your health several years from now. I don't know. You seem to be taking "the official" path already, so why suddenly the idea of self-medicating?