1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still struggling

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Highlander2, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Highlander2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, things are moving quickly. It's less than two weeks until I get the keys for my flat (apartment?). I tell the kids this weekend as well.

The guy that I know - he and I had a bit of a text "clear the air" - it's clear that since his break up with his bf he is not keen to get too involved with me just now. He has said he wants to be 'friends just now', and that he said at the outset that he didn't want to lead me on; that he's not ready to jump from one long term relationship into another; that he wants me to stand on my own feet as I've never lived alone; that he doesn't want to swap one dependent adult for another potentially (he hasn't said all of these things at once one after the other, but variously over the last two or three weeks).

We still text and have calls - I'm so aware that I don't want to seem like I'm pushing him or making any comments that might be construed as being too intimate or non-mate like. He has offered to come and look for stuff for my flat with me (whether that happens or not I don't know), but I'm just not sure how to play this.

I still really like him (I haven't seen him in three weeks and that time it went all the way between us again) and if I see him I know that I'll just be consumed again. But there's a big part of me that is trying to deal with this cooling and understand how he feels. Can I just be his friend - do I just show him that I can stand on my own, be confident and independent (not need to be needed!) and just keep showing him that I care and hope that he sees that I'm someone he can trust and be with?

Or do I just resign myself that we'll never be anything more now than friends - there's a big bit of me starts to get a bit annoyed when I think of the conversations we've had over the months and the things he's said to me, only to now find myself a little bit rejected. But then he has just ended things with his LTBF.

And the other part of me just thinks - for goodness sake slow down a bit! Just enjoy the flat, enjoy having friends round and enjoy my family. Enjoy him as a friend and see where it goes. I've a whole life ahead of me! :slight_smile:

It's good to get the next phase underway - there's more developments with my wife too on a positive front too...

2. Richie.

I agree with the bold part, just take baby steps... Don't worry about guys just find your feet and get to grips with it all. I say anyways.. It's what I'm doing..

Don't worry about potential life partners.... Find some gay friends join a work shop etc... Groups.... Baby steps... You don't need any more complications you have enough... :thumbsup:

3. Jim1454

^ Agreed. One day at a time. Consider him a friend. Get out and meet new people. Get settled into your new life, while supporting your wife to the extent you're able to get her life settled as well.

4. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Highlander,

I got nothing to add beyond what I think is Richie's and Jim's great comments. Well, almost nothing...

Your last phrase above got to me: "But I'm just not sure how to play this." I think your friend had it exactly right when he told you all of that. You have to get to know yourself first; otherwise, this is just a rebound relationship. And you don't have to "play" this. It's not a game--it's life. Take some time--no strings attached--and live your life. In the meantime, you have a good friend who just wants you to honor some boundaries.

5. Pete1970

I think they are right. With so much stuff going on, new flat, telling the kids,
    adjusting to the new you, is there adequate time to put into a relationship? Maybe take it slow with him for now and be friends and maybe eventually it will turn into more.Ive been kind of going through a similar thing the past few weeks with a guy i met, but the stress really started getting to me with everything else going on. I decided that right now i would rather have him as a friend than risk losing him totally. If something happens in the future, at least i will in a better mindset.

---------- Post added 4th Feb 2014 at 10:57 PM ----------

I mean dont get me wrong. I would love to be close with someone, its been a long time since i was close to someone, and not to be vulgar but i wouldnt mind some physical action too (been a while for that too), but i think right now it would be more beneficial in the long run to plant some roots in the community and develop a support system.

#5 Pete1970, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  6. Highlander2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks guys. He told me during out text chat that he was terrible at relationships and he didn't want to destroy what we had by getting involved in a relationship so soon. I know it makes complete sense - the half of my brain that is still working properly :slight_smile: - but the other part is still in the 'in love' state with him. I've known him for a good few months now and I had these feelings for him before I came out and we were honest with each other how we felt.

I suppose there's a part of me that's scared - the bit of me that still wants him is scared that he finds someone else; the bit of me that's sensible thinks, well, if it's meant to be for you it'll happen. If it's not, well, that's the way life goes.

And then on top of all of that - my wife and I are getting on really well (most of the time) to the point that it all feels 'normal' and the way it did when we first met all those years ago. But, the simple fact now exists and I've accepted it, that I want to have an emotional and sexual relationship with a guy. So I end up being torn between wanting the 'home life' with my family and the comfortable way of life, and satisfying the inner sexual and emotional need I have for a man.

I'm dreading telling my kids. They are young - 8 and 6 - but with my wife and i getting on so well just now I hope that we can show them that we can still be a family although I don't live under the same roof all the time as them. I'm hoping I can show them that their lives, although they will change, needn't be completely turned upside down by this.

How can life just throw you these low-bowlers every so often that just totally change the direction you thought you were going in? One minute, thinking I had my life planned out - the next finding myself telling a work friend on a night out that I had feelings for him and he telling me he had feelings for me, kissing, and finding myself exploding out of the closet.

---------- Post added 5th Feb 2014 at 07:13 AM ----------

This all makes sense - it's just trying to shut off the feelings that I have for him to stop me from cracking up. I'll hear and see him regularly through work, so it'll be really hard when that happens to stop me feeling the way I do. I suppose time will help me to get over it, and just adjust to the new life - it's what I make it after all.

---------- Post added 5th Feb 2014 at 07:16 AM ----------

Sorry, it's just a turn of phrase across here - I know it's not a game. I just meant I'm not sure what my next move should be and I'm unclear on what to do in these circumstances. I've been out of the 'getting to know someone game' since I got married over 16 years ago, so I haven't had to deal with this kind of stuff for a while :slight_smile:

7. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Your friend needs time to put his breakup in perspective and heal. So do you.

Be patient. Not easy at times but be patient.

Tom

8. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe your friend just wants some time to see how your breakup is going to work itself out with your wife and children before jumping into the picture as a full-time player, and is getting used to his own changed situation while he waits. Whatever is going on, honor his request for some space, while beginning to expand your own to include other possible new friends. If he sees you are handling yourself well and your changed situation is compatible with his, then he may try to see how well he fits into it later.

9. link4816

Highlander, I sincerely empathize with you and your struggle. I have followed your threads closely these last few months because your situation and the feelings you describe so closely resemble what I imagine my life could become in thievery near future. It is somewhat if a dream scenario for me that I find a guy at work for whom I develop very strong feelings, he develops feelings for me, we are out at a happy hour or something together, and light conversation turns to heavier conversation, and then turns to truth. In my dream scenario, we would struggle together to figure out what to do next. We might kiss once or twice, but we wouldn't do more because we would not want to cheat on our respective wives physically. We would build up the courage to tell our wives the truth, they would be hurt but would be understanding, and then we would break away. When the dust settled, we would be together.

In imagining up this dream scenario as I did years ago, I failed to really consider how much my wife means to me, how much I would miss her if she didn't want to remain in my life. I also did not consider how damaging the scenario would be for her. Since my wife has learned that I am gay, these things have been put into perspective. Nonetheless, I admit that the fantasy I envision is still very appealing to me, and sometimes I find myself taking actions to set up the scenario, casting aside rationality and just following the drive inside me.

My scenario does not include kids. I won't lie, though, a part of me wishes it did. I have always wanted to be a father; it was never even a question. And even though I know that adoption or other methods are a possibility, I know that the kids my wife and I would produce and raise would be spectacular.

I suppose I am saying all these things more for my benefit than for yours. As I listen to your struggle, I think to myself, man, this guy is so lucky to have experienced this dream scenario as he has, right down to the understanding wife and with kids. I realize that your dream is fading now that your guy is expressing uncertainty. That sucks. I am rooting for you though, and I hope that you find a way to be happy with your new life.

10. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What Link said, times 10.

And about kids... Even at almost 70, my fantasy includes kids. I'm way past the age where I'd even consider kids. We tried doing respite care for foster kids a few years ago, in the hope that we might take in a foster child permanently some day. But my wife couldn't handle it, so we stopped. And, aside from the concern about dropping dead in the middle of an already troubled kid's childhood, I still fantasize about a life apart, with a house occupied by a one, or two, or three boisterous kids. Not going to be real, but it's a great fantasy.

So why not kids?

11. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Kids are great 90% bliss and 10% periodic terror.

12. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And some of the bliss comes from surviving the terror, from discovering how strong, and resilient, and wise kids can be. Now, if they could just stay safe until that impulse control finally kicks in...

13. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh-oh, StillAround, you're still waiting for that? That sure doesn't bode well for those of us whose kids are still teenagers! I think my heart has finally slowed to a normal beat from the time I went into the basement and discovered that they had put a couple thin sofa cushions on the concrete floor and were jumping off of chairs doing somersaults in the air. Good God.

14. GayDadStr8Marig

OK, sounds like time to share a crazy kids story to make you other parents feel better about yours:

If you saw some of the stuff my two come up with... :eusa_doh: :***: :bang:

Exhibit A: Our son would pretend the tub was a slide at the waterpark, and/or have toys lined up on the sides of the tub and then pour water on them like the giant dump buskets the waterparks have. He was having a blast... until... :eek:

I go into the kitchen and hear water pouring from somewhere. Naturally, I think a faucet is running, right? What else? NO! It was water literally running from the bathroom upstairs, down through the hanging light fixture over the table in the kitchen and was pooling and splashing off the table all over the floor. Just about everything on the table was soaked, along with the chair cushions. :tears:

And of course the light was ON so I'm thinking -- do I turn it off or will I get electrocuted? Grab a wooden spoon to hit the light switch, grab a stack of towels from the linen closet to start soaking up the mess, and start taking apart the light fixture to dry it out. Once that's all done, I can start seeing water spots through the drywall ceiling... holding breath waiting for it to collapse overnight... fortunately, the next morning it was all dried up.
    (!)

And that's just ONE of the reasons we have to replace the wood floors in the kitchen...

Now, don't you feel better! :icon_bigg

15. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    DEFINITELY!!!!

Although my younger daughter's "body count" includes a TV set and a toilet....

16. mav96213

Highlander,

I too agree with the "text in bold", try to slow things down, enjoy the changes in your life, and see where it goes. I know that is difficult to do right now, emotions are running very close to the surface, and it would be comforting to "know" that you've got your partner waiting in the wings for you. However, it's actually a good idea for "everyone" to let thing settle, allow emotions to get more stable, and then take it from there. You can still "do things together" and enjoy each others company (so it's not like you or he have moved 1,000 miles away) just take things slow. And a little advice from someone who's gone through a really ugly divorce, try (which at times is really hard to do) to get at least 8 hours of sleep every day!! When emotions are running on overdrive, and if you are operating on little to no sleep, it only compounds matters. When you are tired, it's much, much harder to control your feelings and emotions, which usually only makes matters worse. I know it's difficult though, because a lot of times when you need the sleep, you get hit with insomnia. Even if you can't sleep, stay in bed and rest... it's better than nothing and you'll need all the rest you can get for a while.

17. Highlander2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Link. I love my wife, but I'm not sexually attracted to her any more. It was as if a light switch went off when I finally realised the truth about myself. And there appears to be no way back. I look at her in the evenings and try to find a stirring of desire, but there's just nothing. There is extreme fondness and I like being in her company when things are going okay, but as far as ever sharing a bed or becoming intimate - I know what it's like to be with a man and I know in my heart that that's what I need. I need to make this new life work, and we are strong on that for our kids.

I take on board everything everyone has said about the guy. I'm giving him space, if it means we drift apart then that's what was meant to be. I was out with some friends for food tonight at a local diner. A cool young guy - maybe 24 or so - was our server. Tall, well built, blonde floppy hair, was very smiley towards me, held my gaze just a bit longer than 'normal' as he asked me for my order and asking me if everything was okay with our meal, handing me cutlery and lingering the touch of his fingers against my hand as I took it from him. My imagination? I don't think so. Was there a bit of flirting going on by me? Oh yes! And you know something? It felt GOOD to finally be able to do this without feeling guilty.

And it gave me a bit of a confidence boost at the same time after this week :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 5th Feb 2014 at 08:01 PM ----------

I know - and I'll give this to him. If things develop, then great. If not, then I suppose that's just the way it has to be. Thanks for the advice - I appreciate everything everyone says.

---------- Post added 5th Feb 2014 at 08:04 PM ----------

Good grief - have you got a camera in my room? I am getting around 5 or 6 hours sleep at best each night. Sometimes wakening at 3 or 4am and not getting to sleep again, getting up when the alarm goes off. I sometimes just want to sleep during the day. The alarm goes off and I am so tired, yet when I waken at 4 I am WIDE awake. That compounds things during the day when I start to get cranky and stressed by work. I know I need to take care of myself though!

18. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I don't have kids, but I've had a lot of experience with them. Teaching teenagers, listening to their conversations with each other, wondering, "Gee, kid, don't you know you could have died doing something like that?"

But once kids reach their late teens and hopefully go off to college, you won't hear or see much of their craziness. You won't watch them pull into the driveway going way too fast, naively trusting that brakes just never fail. You won't smell the marijuana wafting off their clothes and wonder how much they smoked and where. You won't stay awake until 2 or 3 in the morning terrified that something may have happened to them, but trying to give them some space so they don't feel micro-managed.

You won't have so many moments of unstoppable terror. It will start to fade to some general, never-quite-going-away worry. And you'll call them occasionally when the worry starts to build. You'll listen to them, and you'll talk a little with them, and you'll be reassured that you and your kids are going to survive, and that you're so proud of who they're becoming that your breath catches, and you'll rest easier--'til the next time.

19. tscott

Don't worry too much about telling the kids. They take things in their stride much more easily than you might think. My 16 year old sonwas more upset about us divorcing than my being gay. Oddly, we.ve grown closer. He's much more apt to want to be with me and watch a game than before, because of this I'm more likely to watch a basketball game with himeven though I'm not the least bit fond of the game. MY 10 year old had us already fixed up with people we know. The only hint of wanting us together was us buying both halves of a semidetached house. This may change when we all move out our house and go our separate ways, but I don;t think so. My therapist said it was very important not to leave any doubts about getting back together. Good luck to you. Sounds like you're finding your sea legs so to speak.

20. link4816

For the record, Highlander, I am not advocating that you get back with your wife. Part of the motivation for my post was just to help you realize how lucky you are.