1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Im sorry to disappoint you guys

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Pete1970, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Pete1970

I'm sorry to disappoint everyone. You have all been great with the support and advice.

I think i am going to stay with my wife. I just love her and the kids too much to leave them. Even after all the shit ive put her through for the past few years she is still willing to stay with me. We've been best friends for 25 years. We've been through alot of shit together. We are less than 10 years away from paying off the house and together we finally are pretty good financially. If we split, it would be a struggle to make ends meet for both of us.

There just isnt anything for me in the LGBT community around here. Ive tried to go to events but the guys there were all young, goodlooking, well dressed. Im just a regular guy. Everyone ive talked to and read, its just too hard to find long term relationships with guys. I dont want to live in a crappy apartment alone, i want someone to snuggle with and share my life with. I could have that if i stayed.The thought of someone else taking care of her and being with her is too much to bare. I want to be the one to take care of her.

Ive tried to date a guy and he was too emotionally damaged. There are no support groups near me. The 2 PFLAG chapters near me even closed.

So, sorry to waste everyones time over the past few months and sorry that i let you down

#1 Pete1970, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  2. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Hey now, no need to apologize! You do what you think is right, we wont judge =) the only thing that matters is that you came here seeking answers in the first place

3. apostrophied

You've just made the best decision for yourself, no need to apologize!

If you love your wife and she loves you, and you guys are comfortable with the life you share, I don't see the problem.

:slight_smile:

4. tscott

No judgement...no condemnation...you need to do what's best for you and yours...you've been honest yourself and with your wife...the door is always open for you here.

Tim

(*hug*)

5. GayDadStr8Marig

Alright, Pete, just knock that crap off. Enough! YOU do not owe anyone here an apology. If anything society owes YOU an apology for once again give you a false choice. You have to live the best life you can, whatever circumstances you find yourself in. Right now, your community has not shown you a path forward as part of you local LGBT crowd. Shame on them, not you. Being gay is not about being young, hung, hot and horny.

I wish there were more inclusive options for you to explore. Maybe you haven't found them yet. But at the end of the day, you know what is right for YOU. And you family. I admire men like you, men who fearlessly acknowlege who they are to themselves, confront the stigma of social ostracism, confess to their wife, and ultimately do their best be the best person they can be.

You did not fail anyone, certainly least of all yourself. You have every right to a proud gay man no matter where you live, who shares your home, or who you love. I am damn proud of you. Always will be, and you can't do anything to make me take that back. If I scrounge up half the courage you've shown, I'll be all the better person for it. YOU are the kind of caring honest person of INTEGRITY that inspires me.

You Rock! Now get in there, give your wife and kids the biggest hugs and kisses you've shared in years, and be proud of yourself. (&&&) :thumbsup: :eusa_clap

6. link4816

Hi Pete,

You and I have a lot in common. I am still with my wife, but I am more in a state of long term limbo for now: no big "decision" just yet. The thing is, if you and I stay with our wives, the gay isn't going anywhere. We will still need support and EC is as good a place as any to continue to explore ourselves through exchanges with others in similar situations.

I should be a Full Member soon. We should chat.

7. Electra

Pete
    GayDadStrgMarig has said it all so beautiful. Again you have NOTHING to apologise for. You have been honest, you have been authentic. Thats been hard, but hopefully through that honesty you have found what is right for you and yours at this moment in your life, but now with nothing hidden, no lies, no shame, no fear. You are now true to yourself and those you really love as a gay man. You can't go back into the closet with those people. You always will be a gay man, but wow - what courage and what strength. I am in awe of you. Thanks for sharing your journey with us all. Not just those who have engaged you in conversation, but other who have read your posts and been helped on their own journeys. Enjoy this new chapter ...

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm reminded of the Greek definitions of tragedy and comedy:

Tragedy: Where people and better than they are, and they suffer for doing the right thing.

Comedy: Where people are worse than they are.

You have made the right decision for you and your family. As Link said above, the gay is there to stay, and yet you are doing the right thing, which is, in the Greek sense anyway, a tragedy; born of a noble and courageous act.

9. Pete1970

Thanks everyone,

The thing is, im not sure it is the right decision for the long haul. What if i cant suppress the feelings or meet someone without trying? What if the depression and miserableness come back? I cant put her through that again. It would destroy her. What if i am just doing this out of jealousy and selfishness so she cant be with other people?

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^Does "yes" feel like the right answer? Does it make sense to you? Only you can know deep down what the answer is.

11. link4816

When my wife learned that I am gay, I considered that the best thing for her would be for me to just leave immediately so that she could have more time to start over. She became very angry at me, explaining that me choosing to leave would be just another instance of me taking the power away from her (the main instance being withholding the truth from her even as she made the decision to marry me). She told me that I need to trust her judgment, and if she says she does not want me to leave, I should believe that that is what is best for HER. Of course, it may be that I someday determine that I need to be selfish to do what is best for ME. However, I cannot leave and use the excuse that it is what is best for her, unless she tells me to do so. My point is, maybe choosing to stay is the least selfish thing you could do as far as your wife is concerned, depending on what she is telling you. BUT, you should consider what is best for you above all else. Just some food for thought.

12. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Depression... ?

You are talking about mental health now.

Make this decision with the help of a LGBT therapist.

Don't play craps with mental health.

Tom

13. King

You do not need to justify yourself to anyone.

It looks like this forum has helped to reduce the torment you had and now you have explored your sexuality and made an informed decision, as opposed to a rash decision.

Best of luck.

14. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    no need to apologize, Pete. What GayDad said.

And we'll still be here, if you need us.

15. confused mwm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not really adding anything new from what the others have said, but consider this post another vote of confidence and another wish for nothing but the best for you and your family. Take good care. We're all here for you.

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, I completely agree with everyone else who's posted here. This is your decision and your decision alone, and you have to make the decision that's best.

Here's what I'd ask you to think about before you finalize the decision, based on what you've said above.

The very fact that you're asking this question -- and maybe the very fact that you started this thread -- makes me wonder if this is what you really want, or if you are still deeply torn, and were hoping that we'd talk you out of it.

One of the best things I've found is to encourage people to try their best to fully put themselves into the other person's shoes.

-- If you were your wife, would you want to be with someone you knew would not be capable of loving you as you deserve to be loved?

-- If you were your wife, and truly loved *you*, would your wife really want you staying in a relationship where you can't really love, and will always be yearning for something else?

-- If you were your wife, would you want complete, honest, no-holds-barred authenticity about how you're feeling, complete with all the fears you just described, before making a decision on getting back together?

-- And finally, if you were your wife, and you were able to get all of those disclosures, would you still want to be with you?

You're going through a very tough time and I think you're experiencing what keeps anyone from making a major growth step: The idea that the fear of the unknown is greater than the discomfort of the current situation.

No one can guarantee that you'll be happy if you split up and pursue a relationship with a guy. But it sounds to me like you aren't happy, and are trying to convince yourself that somehow it will get better and you'll be able to put aside the urges and desires. From my experience in working with and talking to a lot of people, it rarely works out that way.

I think it is likely that your decision is at least somewhat based in jealousy of not wanting her to see someone else. And that, in a way, is being stuck in the "bargaining" phase (denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance). As long as she's still in the picture, and nobody else is after her, you can pretend that you can make it work with her... that you can be gay, but still be with your wife. That's actually the most classic form of bargaining for a married guy in the process of coming out.

So... one approach might be to simply wait. See where you are in a month or two or three. Think about the above, and think about what *you* really want. It's possible that being with her is the most important thing, and that it matters above all else. If that's the case, by all means, staying with her is the right choice.

I'd just want to be sure before I take any further steps, and it doesn't sound like you are at that point yet.

17. setnyx

no one knows what the future holds. you are doing what you think is best for now, that's all anyone can expect from themselves or others. if you were not the poster of this thread would you feel disappointed in this person who has done all this soul searching and made a difficult choice...i didn't think so. be as kind to yourself.

18. Clay

I was trying to put off posting here because I know I can't relate to your situation, and I didn't want to come across as pessimistic, but if I'm going to be perfectly honest I agree with Chip the most.

I absolutely hope things work out for you. I only wish the best. But it kind of feels like you're staying with her out of fear of what happens if you break up, rather than staying with her because you both want to. The reality is you're a gay guy who's married to a woman. Staying with her wont change that. 10 years into the future, after you've payed off the house, you'll still be a gay guy married to a woman.

It doesn't sound like you're happy, and I don't think staying together due to the stability it brings will change that. She knows you're gay too, and it feels like a.. stalemate, rather than progress.

Man I feel incredibly uncomfortable writing this, especially with everyone elses responses (I've been thinking about this thread for hours deciding whether or not I should post this) but in the end I think I'd regret it more if I never. I think you should wait before you decide anything, and I'm actually quite angry at society for you being in this situation.

19. Spaceman

Hi Pete...first of all you're not disappointing anyone. It's not like there's an agenda to force people to make a particular decision.

I think in a lot of these cases, the wives make the decisions for us. There's a huge sense of obligation to give them what they want after blowing up their world. I know of guys who come out to their wives and stay in the marriage because the wives beg them not to leave. But years later, they still struggle with the gay feelings that never go away.

In my case, my wife made the opposite choice. After I came out to her, she wanted me out of the house and has no interest in trying to make things work. Part of me thinks that I still want to stay married to her, live as a family and raise our kids together. That I wouldn't need to act on my urges and that her knowing the truth would be enough to relieve my burden. But she may be wiser than I am. She knows my orientation can't be changed, she wants a chance to experience love that includes physical desire, and she doesn't want to live under a cloud of uncertainty that I could one day meet someone and put her through this hell a second time.

You have to do what you feel is right. There are no risk free or pain free options. But I have to agree with a lot of the points Chip made. Ask yourself if you're acting out of fear or really doing what you think will give you and your wife the greatest chance of a happy life. Wishing you the best with whatever you choose.

20. Molly1977

Firstly I agree with what has been said, no judgement for the decision you have made and you haven't disappointed anyone.

But you and your wife have children together and maybe being yourself in a gay relationship would show them that it is ok to be "different", to show that you can live a positive life as a gay man. What if one of your children was gay and they had grown up in a home where being gay had to be hidden. By being yourself and being happy and positive about this you are showing your children that they too can be themselves, whatever that may be.

Hope this helps xx