1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting closets to cabanas...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by skiff, Feb 15, 2014.

1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi all,

How about some fun...

You are converting your closet to a pool side cabana. What does it look like? What have you decorated it with?

What large ugly item has left drag marks in the sand as you fragged and tossed it on the junk heap of bad ideas?

Tom

2. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Geez, Tom...when I first read your thread title, I honestly thought you'd misspelled "cannabis"! :roflmao:

An interesting game you propose here...although decorum dictates that the OP should go first.

I have an affinity for wood, metal, and stone...if I was to make a poolside cabana out of the closet I once inhabited...well, hell, any poolside cabana I would make would have those three elements.

I suppose I'm envisioning the entire poolside area. The pool itself would be lined with stone. Beyond the splash zone, the floor would be polished wood...probably harvested from the closet, which means it would be rather charged. So the placement near the stone would be important so the stone could act as a grounding element for the wood. The cabana itself would have a well-stocked bar with metal trim, polished wood top, and sides decorated with a mixture of wood and stone.

I should also consider one of those small clay stove-thingies in the corner, to warm the cabana in case of sudden cool showers. I could burn the junk I used to have in that closet...there's nothing there that I want any more, and it's all pretty old at this point...and almost entirely flammable. [heh...in inclement weather, Annika smokes her cabanas *snerk*]

I'm afraid that without further inspiration, that's as far as I've gotten. I'm trying to come up with a good use for the knob of the closet door...embedding it into the bar in some way seems like a good idea...or perhaps using it as a hand-hold for getting out of the pool. I'll have to give that more thought and get back to you.

3. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, I'll play...

First, The walls have to go.. maybe some light screening to keep out unwanted pests.

Canvas top, rainbow colors, of course. A lot of those thingies that twirl and shift color in the wind--something to attract attention, because, damn it, it's not a closet anymore.

Floor would definitely be wood from the closet floor--I like Annika's idea. I'd make it cedar, so the warm smell of the wood could mix with fresh sea air. It would get sandy from time to time, but my last item on the list should take care of that.

The door needs to be cut down to size, though. I imagine a well-stocked bar behind it, with really good single-malt scotch, Grand Marnier, and Tanqueray for the cool evenings, but lots of frozen drinks for the warm days. Oh, and the knob can stay, but the lock is gone.

Maybe a little fire pit in the middle.

And I want to be wearing very cool shades.

Oh, and a cabana boy (just the right age for me) to come in and keep the place tidy and the bar stocked.

That should just about do it for me, I think.(!)

Thanks for starting this--a nice post-Valentine's Day gift for all of us.

4. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ooh! Ooh! I want a cabana boy too!

5. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Definitely thatch and bamboo. Tiki torches around the patio. A fabulous BBQ and smoker. An inviting wet bar for my cabana-man to keep rolling along. Then there is the hammock strung between palm trees and the padded lounge chair for two (white of course). And do not forget the table and chairs for spending time and meals with my friends.

That is outside.

Inside... Lower dungeon converted to wine cellar and supplies. First floor... Yeah, I built a very large closet. :slight_smile: all very masculine with dark natural woods and overstuffed deep green leather chairs. HUGE big screen TV (my hut has satelite and cable). Attic becomes a becomes a beautiful white bedroom walls covered with white swag, linen draping from a central point in the ceiling.

That is what I always dreamed of it to be, with a patio full of friends willing to laugh, share and tell me I am full of sh@t when I am. :wink:

And just one good man to share it with.

I thought about this way too long.

Oh yeah... At my cabana everyone looks good in their optional Speedos HAhaha

Tom

#5 skiff, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  6. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Instead of pool-side, my cabana is garden-side next to a cascading rill, surrounded by tall grasses and fragrant shrubs/wildflowers of the southwest. Airy trees provide shade, but allow a pleasant amount of dappled sunshine to filter through. Rustic, yet comfortable lounge chairs with big, colorful pillows and beach towels provide space for reading, talking, napping, sipping iced tea, or just being close together after a long day of hiking and gardening.

At night, subtle garden lights and a warm chiminea fire (very dry, flammable wood sourced from the disassembled closet) create a magical glow amongst the plants -- perfect for a romantic evening under the stars. :slight_smile:

7. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nice images, sagebrush.
    (*hug*)

8. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *Thank* you!! *That's* the word I was looking for!

9. tscott

So my "cabana" is more of an Adirondack boathouse...the stones that re-inforced the closet make up the lower portion and the upper level fireplace...the cedar walls and floor will make up the shingles for the upper level and roof...take some trees for the pillars...a20' Chris Craft runabout below...dark green trim...open living area...a big timber 4 -poster with Hudson Bay blankets, a wolf skin throw...a bearskin rug...a green Aga stove.. on Tupper or Saranac...and a caretaker/companion/partner a la Lady Chatterly...and a brace of Scottish deerhounds and a few odd terriers...and loons to lull us to sleep and wake us in the morning.

10. PeteNJ

Can my cabana be in the basement. A men's playroom. Think 50 shades of grey. ]:->

11. tscott

I believe it can be whatever you want it to be...go for it.

12. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Part of embracing your sexuality is recognizing that rules imposed by others simply don't apply to you. Reality is what *you* make of it. So is your cabana!

13. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmmmm...

Does your cabana have lots of battery chargers!?

Ha ha ha.

Tom