1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay networked families

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by skiff, Feb 18, 2014.

1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

You hear talk about gay family and gay family networks...

I will testify some of my gay friend/s are closer than blood.

No sex, just trust and friendship.

I cannot get this from family but my gay friends do it like breathing.

Don't neglect this area.

Tom

2. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That doesn't surprise me, Tom. My wife and her family have some close ties to the local legion post, and it always seemed like the vets who had gone through the most horrific battles were very close, even if they came from very different backgrounds, and the battles they fought in were not necessarily the same ones. They rarely talked about their experiences, with each other or anyone else, but the bond between them all was very tangible and they were clearly a sort of family who were very much there for each other. I would think that gay "families" would be close for many of the exact same reasons. Shared experiences, shared victory, shared shell-shock.... And support and unity. We all need it.

John

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Funny...

We talk about gay issues regularly.

I wonder if veterans knew why they were fighting the battle, where we fight to understand why there is a battle.

Sure fighting to protect country makes sense.

Fighting to be loved by family makes no sense.

Tom

4. GayDadStr8Marig

I for one can attest to having much stronger emotional connection to my family here than my blood relatives. knowing there are people who support me, think about me and engage me helps keep me going when I feel run down by the world.

5. bottomsup

My wf is very supportive, but as we still live together, it can only go far - I worry that staying clouds my thinking, good to read these posts and to share my sh1t with you. hope that's ok guys. (no question mark,as woudl be worried if knowone replied, i have a habit of killing threads, oww)
    I find the makeup thing good, as it makes it pretty (and me) obvious without having a giant gay star tattoo on me head (thats next..), what you guys think?
    will it undermine my position as a professonal? might even enhance it if they think im likley to work even harder to make up for it! lool, yeah right..
    walking about is ace, guys looking at me, thinking, hang on, is he gay?

6. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My search for that family--that community--will be my focus for the next while. I couldn't agree more, Tom. Fortunately, my wife, if not fully supportive (I mean, she has her own s**t to deal with), is at least understanding. She knows that I'm looking for community now, and nothing more for a while... I've waited this long; I want to do it right!

7. Fellow

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Family is whoever we can count on, laugh with, cry with, share our deepest fears and all our joys without having to give any second thought, and I can tell you from my own experience, I've found real friends that surpass by far any relationship I've had with any member of my blood family.