1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resources for gay men...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by StillAround, Feb 19, 2014.

1. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

I've been doing a lot of web surfing looking for resources I can turn to, and found a couple of really useful links. I'm wondering if others here have investigated such resources in your area, whether you, too, have stumbled across these, and, if so, what you think of them.

Also, what other resources have you found?

Here are mine, with a bit of intro...

Prime Timers Worldwide

There are 73 chapters worldwide, each with a lot of local activities.

And:

Gay Fathers Association of Seattle: More resources

This group is in the Seattle area, and isn't part of any larger organization, but their Resources link has lots of sites listed, including resources for straight spouses of gay men.

2. nwor55

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi StillAround,

I don't have any new resources to add, but can say that the Gay Fathers Association of Seattle is a very good group of men. I have attended a few meetings since Thanksgiving and have always felt welcome and at ease joining in the discussions. There is no pressure to engage in discussions, but they welcome your input.

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

There are lots of supports for teens, but by the time you are 21 you are supposed to have apologized to society and healed your life scars from the emotional beating you forced society/family tometer out on you.

Looks like lots of us missed the memo.

Seriously... Except for large cities adult support groups are rare.

Tom

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I run the risk of boring those who've heard me say something like this before, but it's been my observation, too, that LGBT resources are pretty limited in my area. The only support groups I know of are PFLAG, and a group for lesbians. Social groups seem to be either for the young ("anyone over 30 need not apply."), or older people ("Not 55? Call us when you are!")

Still...I keep doing the searches regularly. Something might turn up one day.

5. HopeFloats

If you are willing to do the church thing (episcopal church specifically) you can find LGBT friendly congregations and find integrity USA meetings (which happen at churches but are not services) here Home - Integrity USA

6. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A nationwide Catholic group much like Integrity is called Dignity: Featured Articles | DignityUSA

They do not seem to hold to the standard Catholic party line that being gay is OK as long as you (apparently) don't have any physical contact. (Like that's gonna happen.) There isn't a group here in Milwaukee at this time, although there is one in Madison, WI that actually is combined with the Integrity group.

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Church groups can also be worth considering for those inclined to attend a church.

Of course...that assumes that one can find a LGBT friendly church, and that one can otherwise function in that church. (That is: beliefs, service structure, etc are acceptable.)

8. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    Thanks for the link on Primetimers, actually read about them just recently.

In Australia there is countrynetwork.com.au I think you need to know someone to join it though and it is geared towards older guys, it used to be more country based but there are city members.

9. AKTodd

My partner and I joined Prime Timers last year. It amuses me that I'm one of the youngest guys there (rumor has it there's a member in his 20s but haven't met him yet - membership at the meetings varies considerably from meeting to meeting).

Everyone has been very nice and it's fun to talk with other members of the tribe.

We also joined a couples meetup last year and a men's meetup group within the last couple weeks - having the first meeting of that Saturday night, followed by another dinner with the couples meetup on Sunday.

Ack - when did I turn into a social butterfly?!?!?

Todd

10. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just sent in my membership form today, and hope to attend a meeting of some sort in the next month. Hoping to find the same thing you did.

As for the social butterfly thing, beats me. But the same thing seems to be happening to me. It's a mystery. (Reference to Shakespeare in Love, there, in case you missed it.)

Thanks for sharing your experience. /Ed.

11. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Hmmm....

Yes, I am much more social in the company of gay men.

Still not responding to guys who check me out visually first.

Don't respond to "crotch checkers" or guys who simply check you out in general. If they can approach and engage my intellect they get my attention.

Tom

12. bigeden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hi stillaround
    thanks for posting this topic. i wish i had more leads for you.
    years ago there was an over 40's group at sasg on capitol hill but many guys complained that it was hard to make friends there. there's still some info there:
    Elders | Seattle Area Support Groups & Community Center
    i've had a tough time finding ways to talk with other out gay guys in person.
    if you are a guy who wants to hook up for sex then there are tons of opportunities like apps such as ****** and ###### or sites like gay.com.
    i'm a bit of a weirdo though. i want community with other people like me - out, gay guys.
    i happen to be at a time in my life where i want to meet other out, gay guys and develop close friendships.
    unfortunately, i'm in a situation similar to BMC77 where the only local queer groups are for other demographics ie: pflag, lesbian, & trans including at the churches (where i'd rather not go).
    weird, huh?

13. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    Hi Stillaround,

Thanks for mentioning Primetimers, I attended a group event on the 23 Feb in Western Australia and then attend another group gathering 8 days ago.

I noticed that primetimersww do have a group in Seattle, most of the guys I have met are just regular older guys; and a few were married, so I am sure they all went through the same problems we all did a few years earlier without the help of the internet.

Either Skiff or maybe Greatwhale, may have been neither of these 2 but they post the most that I have seen that wouldn't it be good to get together some time, maybe a primetimers event in 2,5 or 10 years might be the opportunity.

I will be joining the primetimerswa group in the next month.

14. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^I checked out the Prime Timers website, quite interesting! I would definitely be a great thing if we could use one of their regional or worldwide conventions (Vegas, 2015?) to finally get together! The next meeting that is closest to me is in Ohio this summer at the Gay Games, but my post-divorce budget may make it...difficult.