1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Socializing

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by MAXWELL45, Feb 20, 2014.

1. MAXWELL45

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am very much okay with who I am, bisexual. It’s me, it’s okay, it’s not that big of a deal like I first thought it was and reacted like it was.

Now, I want to embrace and explore this new me. Socialize with other people. Bi/gay men my age and even other accepting people. Not for sex. For friendship and just social connections. Where I live, that is very hard to do. The LGBT is underground because my area is very conservation. What there is ( underground, ) is aimed at younger people or people looking to have sex. Social gatherings my for my age group ( 40 and older ) is seemingly impossible to find. So not cool. So I may have to travel a wee bit to find social needs and who knows, move to a more openly and accepting area. I am determined to build a new better social life. Friends and socializing helps.

2. GayDadStr8Marig

Sadly this is a common theme for our age group, regardless of which stripe of the LGBT community we belong to. I applaud the resources available now to the younger generations, and even for those our age who had the courage to be out for years by now, for those of us coming out later we're left to fend for ourselves, try to stumble across each other, and figure out how we're supposed to feel a part of any community while being ourselves. And since so many of us do not live in gay-friendly meto-areas, the task is that much more daunting.

3. MAXWELL45

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    GayDad, this is the only real issue I have with my sexual identity. Living in an anti-gay, conservative area with no real social aspects. Do I really have to travel 50 plus miles just to socialize? Worst yet, move? Sad, but this is an issue for me. Grateful that it's the only issue I have.

4. piano71

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maxwell45 -

I see your location is listed as "Southern California." I'm surprised that Southern California is an ultra-conservative area where gay life is deep underground?!?

I would think any place within reasonable commuting distance (say 2 hours, after all it is SoCal) to L.A. would be used to having GLBT people around. While I realize Orange County has a conservative reputation, I doubt it's as insular as some places.

My thought is: try to get closer in to L.A., but beware of the lookist/elitist scene in West Hollywood. Perhaps there's a lower-key area where being gay/bi is socially acceptable, but having a perfect body isn't an absolute requirement?

5. MAXWELL45

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @paino71, I live in Southern California. The great I.E ( as in the Inland Empire ) area. L.A is at least 50 miles away. The drive in traffic out here to get there is really bad and not worth it just to socialize with the LGBT community out there. I wish my area was more open to LGBT. I hate having to dig through the underground here to find a guy who wants more than just sex from me and who is around my age. But thanks for your insight.

6. GayDadStr8Marig

pretty much same situation here... local LGBT scene geared to teen/college crowd, not middle-aged formerly married guys with kids.... maybe drive 90+ minutes to Chicago, but who wants to do that every week, or even has time if they wanted to.