1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closeted guy meets closeted guy?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by jnr183, Feb 20, 2014.

1. jnr183

I'll try to keep this brief.

31-year-old guy here. Gay by nature, bisexual tendencies encouraged by societal norms. My closet door is very heavy and my interest in leaning on it and hoping it falls open waxes and wanes.

I've posted about him before on another thread but I have a close friend that I suspect may be in his own closet. Unsure how much of it is simply wishful thinking. We met about a year ago through work and became really tight really quickly despite us both having girlfriends. He moved 5 hours away 2 months ago for another job but we've kept in very close contact. We text nearly every single day (I can think of one or two days since he left that we didn't at least text). We tell each other that we miss each other in that joking but maybe not really joking kind of way. At the end of the summer we went on a hike together and we took pictures of each other at the top of the mountain; the other night he just sent the picture he had of me to me by text out of the blue. Granted, I think he is lonely and very busy in his new city, but it told me that he was thinking about me.

Things with both of our girlfriends have been rocky for a while. He is very off and on with his interest in his girlfriend (which is now a long-distance relationship with the move). He doesn't seem to me that he actually loves her. We complain to each other about our girlfriends and he told me that we can't find perfect maybe just tolerable. His girlfriend visited him for Valentine's Daythis past weekend and he texted me at 10:30pm on Saturday night to say hi. My girlfriend is great (just don't know if she is great for me) and our relationship is also long-distance but since he came into the picture I've had substantial doubts about the viability of our relationship and honestly I think we may break up soon although I've said that a few times before.

Anyways, I think about him constantly. I might go visit him this weekend or next (haven't seen him since he moved). I don't know if he likes me in a very adoring hetero way or whether he really likes me. For background, he's from a fairly conservative red-state background so if he's in a closet the door could be quite heavy. Alternatively, if I let him know my true feelings I am afraid that the closeness of our friendship will be permanently soured if he isn't actually interested.

My question for you guys out there: at my age (early 30s) have you found many other guys still trapped in the closet? If he's really in the closet should it be more obvious? I'm not saying I want to coax him out of the closet or make him do anything he doesn't want to do, but I really like him and I just want to know if my Brokeback Mountain 2014 fantasy could be real. The last thing I want to do is make him feel uncomfortable.

Thanks for reading. The struggle for self-acceptance has been difficult. Happiness seems so hard to find!

2. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't respond to your first question, because I was so deep in the closet for so long that I didn't dare look out of it. But as to whether it should be more obvious? I don't think so. From the way you describe him, if he's in the closet, he'd be pretty deep in it. The whole point of it is to not be obvious, with many of us hoping that someone else will make the first move, giving us a hand in opening that door.

Whether your Brokeback Mountain fantasy could be real, who knows. The fact that you have the fantasy says a lot, though, about your sexuality. But if you're that interested, there's one way to find out. Just tell him you're gay and that you hope it doesn't drive him away, because you value his friendship so much. And see where it goes. If you ask, you can hope he'll keep the info confidential. If he doesn't value you as much as you do him, at least you'll know.

I don't know about your specific situation--where you live, how accepting you thing your environment (family, friends, work) will be--and all that certainly weighs heavily into your situation. But if your situation isn't bad, I'd stick to what used to be my signature here:

"Some people are going to like me, and some people aren't. So I might as well be me. That way I'll know that whoever likes me, likes me.

3. GayDadStr8Marig

Whether your friend is closeted, only he would know. That's the whole point of the closet, only the person inside knows it exists, it's goal is to be camouflaged from the outside world.

The two of you appear to have a deep friendship, maybe some would call it a "bromance". Could it be more if he were gay/bi too, certainly you hope so but would he?

Take things one step at a time. First, decide for yourself, regardless of your friendship with him, are you ready to come out as gay/bi to someone? To him? If yes, do it if you're prepared for the consequences. Only you can know what those consequences would be (at work, in town, at home, wherever).

Next, if you come out to him, take his reaction at face value, don't read too much into it whether positive or reserved. If he's reserved, give him time to process the information. He may be closeted and debating if he's ready to come out to you too, or closeted and feeling guilty that he is not in the right place to tell you yet and afraid if he doesn't it would hurt you or your friendship. There's no way to know, just give him time and space and reassure him you value the friendship above all. If he reacts positively, see how the conversation grows naturally. He may ask leading questions about who you're interested in. Be honest, but don't make it seem to him you want to jump him right there even if you're using all your will power not to. The last thing you want to do at that point in the conversation is pollute your friendship and possible relationship with lies and half-truths.

Hope it helps you evaluate the options. Only you can decide what you're comfortable doing.

4. Jim1454

The fact is that both my husband and I didn't come to terms with our orientation until we were in our mid / late 30s. So is it possible for him to still be in the closet. He might not even really have any conscious knowledge of his orientation the way you do.

5. Aquaman

Aquaman Guest

Hello jnr183,

There are people of all ages in the closet, from the very young to the very old, so it is possible that your friend is in the closet just as you are; however, it is not your place to question him on it when you still need to figure out your own situation.

The things you describe sound very sweet, and certainly point to the possibility of your friend having a romantic interest in you, but there is really no way to tell this is 100% true.

If you want to test the waters -and it really depends on how daring you are feeling- you could send him one of those usual texts teling him that you miss him. If we are to assume that he will reply with a "I miss you too," then maybe you can push it a little bit further by saying something like "you don't understand... I really, really miss you John" (whatever his name is). And see what he says.

My point is you should not make a drastic move in your attempt of finding out how he feels. Taking small, calculated risks like this one -and that you should be able to back down from if the response is not positive- will give you more bang for your buck.

6. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm with GayDad here. You have to decide whether you're ready to come out, if you're comfortable with who you are. Otherwise, though, I'm not a big fan of playing games. We've all spent too long in our closets to spend time with dancing around the issue.

When you're ready, tell him. But I don't agree with the idea of dropping hints. Not my style. But that's just me.
    (*hug*)

7. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Agreed...

Lies, obfuscating even hook-ups are a continuation of the closet.

I still want the same things; monogamous, trusting, loyal, passionate, love relationship (marriage). Only I want it authentically with a man.

Tom

8. jnr183

Thanks everyone for your kind and encouraging words. I appreciate that EC is such a supportive community and it's helpful to know I'm not the only one going through this.

I have no idea what he is thinking... it would be better if we could see each other regularly. I'm hopeful that I can see him next weekend and reassess our interactions in person. Some days I don't sense a spark, other days I do. His new job is in the heat of busy season and he's working 80+ hours a week easily.

Coming out to anybody is something I've been considering for a while but I don't feel ready yet. I'm not sure when I will. It's hard to start when you've been living this other persona for so long. I suppose I could consider coming out to him but it would have to be the right time and place. I'm still just so uncomfortable with myself.

The idea of having someone make the first move on me really resounded with me. I have always hoped to meet the man of my dreams while I'm still in the closet. But it seems like I can't meet him while I'm still in the closet but I don't want to come out of the closet until I meet him. I'll have to reconcile one of those eventually.

9. Molly1977

Why dont you think about coming out for yourself, i'm not saying this is going to be easy for you, but if you are more accepting of yourself and come out then it wouldn't be about trying to figure out if your friend is gay or not.

If you come out and are happy with youself than if your friend is also gay then he could feel more comfortable coming out in his own time.

I think you are hopeing your friend will be gay so that you don't have to come out on your own. But everyone has to go through this process in their own time and now could be the right time for you.

10. jnr183

It would certainly make it easier!

11. jnr183

As I continue to ponder @Molly's suggestion, I think she stated my own question better than I even could:

Have you or anyone you know ever found someone to come out of the closet with?

Disregard other struggles with self-acceptance :slight_smile:

Thanks again for everybody's time. The support, even from strangers, means a lot.

12. duende84

Bro, a friend like this is in my experience one of the best persons to come out to. Write him an e-mail explaining your personal struggle with yourself. Then only after his reply try and gauge from that if he might be open to any suggestions and discussions.

13. confused1234

Duende84 hit the nail on the head. He sounds like the perfect person to come out to. Do that, gauge his reaction, and you will know substantially more than you do now.

14. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your last sentence first. Please don't think of us as strangers. I think we'd all just like to be friends, albeit anonymous ones.

And then your question. As for myself, the answer is no. Certainly I had that fantasy when I was young (13, actually)--my blog touches on that. But I have for many years considered it to be just a fantasy. And in the last month, I've really internalized the knowledge that coming out, for me, requires an acceptance of myself, and an acknowledgement of who I am, to the most important people in my life. The first came to me on a Saturday afternoon, as I described in one of my first few threads here. The second is a work in progress, now only a week or two from being complete. Only then will I be able to begin looking for the emotional (and perhaps, someday, physical) connection I crave.

So I've been trying, these last four or five weeks, to live my life with authenticity and intention. I think that's what we all need to do.

As for your friend, only you know where he'll fall in the process of your coming out, whether he'll be one of the first to know, or not, but I think the self-acceptance, the comfort of being in your own skin as the person you are, has to come first.

And, like all my advice here on EC, as a certified non-expert, this is worth every penny you you've just paid for it.

Shalom.

/Ed.(*hug*)

15. jnr183

Hi all, just to update a little bit if anyone remembers this series of posts from earlier.

I feel like I'm at a time in my life where everything seems to be coming to a head (job, relationships, etc.). For the first time in my life, I am really thinking about coming out. I think it is time. I'm nervous and not exactly sure who to start with. Or how.

I have made one big step recently. I broke up with my girlfriend of a year this past weekend ("Melissa" from previous posts). I probably waited too long. She is moving to a city this summer- farther from me- so there was every reason to break up and I didn't bring my sexuality into it. However I am relieved to be single again. I have decided what I really want is a partner and I am having a harder and harder time imagining that my ideal partner would be a woman.

Things with my friend- let's call him Jake- are about the same. We met up a few weeks ago for the night. His affection for me is not obvious, but we can still talk for hours on end. He's still so on and off about his girlfriend. Sometimes he seems really happy, other times he tells me she isn't fun and he doesn't want her around. He has a big graduation-type event in a few months and he was angry that she invited herself because he didn't want her taking away from his last weekend with his friends.

Anyways, I think I want to come out to.... somebody. I am terrified, maybe a little excited. I haven't decided who to come out to first. Possibly Jake. I am worried to tell him. I don't have any intention of telling him about my feelings- basically that I am gay and he can take it or leave it, in so many words. We really communicate through phone or text. I am afraid to tell him by phone because I think I'll get so nervous that I'll get lost in my words. Would it be weird to email him? He doesn't use email very much. I feel like I might be able to construct my thoughts better.

I am afraid of losing him if I tell him. I am afraid he may sense my feelings for him and reject me. I know I can't waste my time with people that won't accept me and I'm probably blowing this out of proportion. I might just need some advice or a pep talk.

Thoughts?

16. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it's always good to start by coming out to someone you trust and have a good relationship with. If you can put your feelings for him on the side a bit, he would sure be a logical person, since you already have such a close friendship. Maybe just tell him that you don't want to weird him out or anything, but you feel like you need to tell this to a friend who you trust. Try to keep the attraction part out of it for now, because knowing you're gay may or may not be quite enough for him to process at one time. And if he asks you directly if you like him, you could probably say something like, "Jake, you're my friend. Telling you this isn't easy for me. What I really want right now is for you to stay my friend and not hate me." I would try to lay the groundwork that you value the friendship first--because really, you do, and making that clear will help HIM feel safer, given his background.

Then, you wait to see how he reacts. Just try not to envision any dramatic scenarios where he professes his undying love to you right off the bat. You don't want to build up some grand situation that might not happen. (Which is not to say it couldn't; stranger things have happened.) There may very well be some feelings there, but right now, this should be about you getting something off your chest to someone you trust.

Good luck to you. I'm really hoping for the best case scenario for you here!

17. Jim1454

The thing is that if you don't tell him, then you're stuck in this 'neverland' that you currently find yourself in - not out, having feelings for someone that you can't express to anyone... and I would think that your friendship will start to feel kind of hollow too - because you aren't being open and honest. This doubt that you're carrying around (that he might reject you for being gay) is already creating a wedge, even if you don't see it yet.

So I'm all for telling him. Come out to someone else first if you think that might help. A coworker, a family member...

18. jnr183

Hello all,

Just wanted to update. Since I didn't thank Jim and Choirboy earlier, THANK YOU! Everyone's replies mean so much to me.

So first update, I came out to two friends on Friday. MY FIRST TWO PEOPLE. They are a gay couple I have known for a long time, about my age. I wrote a long letter and then hit the send button before I could think twice. Feels kind of like what I imagine jumping out a plane would feel like. They both wrote the most encouraging messages back to me, and now two people who know me in real life know this about me. This progress should be the main update, but an unexpected invitation from Jake for me to visit this weekend has conjured up a slew of emotions.

In short, we were talking on the phone late Friday night and i was lamenting that I had nothing to do this weekend- his girlfriend was visiting on Saturday and another friend would be in town- they had plans for Saturday night, so he said why don't you come up and visit as well. Internally I was exploding with joy; externally I said it sounds fun, I don't want to intrude with your girlfriend, I'll sleep on it and decide. Yesterday morning he still said to come so I took the 5 hour drive to see him.

We had a great time. We always have such a great time. I am so head-over-heels in love with this guy. Everything about him makes me so happy when I'm with him. His girlfriend and other friend commented how we are just two peas in a pod and that we love each other (if they only knew). His girlfriend is a super sweet girl and I have grown to care for her. I don't sense much of a spark between them and he continues to complain to me about her intermittently- but when he's complaining he complains a lot. I don't really think they'll stay together when it's all said and done, regardless of his sexuality, which for the moment I assume is exclusively heterosexual. Physically I don't really get any signals from him; I don't know that I give off any though, for that matter. Too scared, maybe?

When I was driving home today, he texted me to thank me for visiting and that it's so good to see friends. I, in turn, thanked him and said I had a blast. I also said that I wish we lived closer (in a way that I figured was very casual, but deciphering tone in text messages can be hard). His reply surprised me a bit; I was expecting the more lighthearted "Yeah wouldn't that be fun!" or something like that. His reply:

"I wish we lived closer too, but in all reality except for [city where we first met and became friends], this [5 hour distance] is probably the closest we will live."

What he says is fairly true. We've both talked about how we each want to get to our respective homes (I grew up in the Northeast, he grew up in the Midwest). He often brings up to me that he hates to think that if we both move home we'll rarely get to see each other. Whenever he says it, it's always kind of out of the blue- like when we're having a good time or a good discussion. It always seemed like a sweet thing (maybe bittersweet thing) to say, but it always just made me love him more. Granted, it's true, but these aren't things I think about, let alone vocalize, to people i just consider friends. But we are all different people.

Anyways, what he wrote though- I'm not sure where he was coming from with it- but it damn near broke my heart. I mean, I wonder if it means he just loves me as a friend. in my fantasy world I always wonder how we'd ever work that out- being from different parts of the country and wanting to be close to our respective families- but damn it I found find a way for this guy. It at least tells me that he had enough fun this trip that he wishes we could hang out more. Sometimes I wonder if this is his way of testing the waters for something different. Ugh I drive myself crazy over this!

My reply to him was this:

"Maybe so but hopefully not. You never know what will happen. As long as we stay friends"

He said definitely, text conversation went on for not much longer, then he called me later in the drive just to ask me a trivial question about work.

Anyway I don't know that there is any new advice anyone can give me. I just needed to share it and get it off my chest and you are my audience! I hate to sound like a broken record- a whiny broken record to boot- on this thread. I really need to come out to him. It's just terrifying to think of. As intimate as this friendship has become I don't want to make him uncomfortable by this confession. Whether a relationship ever comes from this or not, this is one of- if not my most- intense friendships ever... something I didn't expect to happen at the age of 31, especially having had many close friendships in my day.

#18 jnr183, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  19. BlueSky224

jnr183,
    I really think it's worth telling "Jake." I can read from your writing how your anxiety is increasing, and--above all--Jake is definitely your friend.

It's entirely possible that Jake may react poorly, but that sounds unlikely. My straight guy friends, even those I've known forever, are really okay. And this is one of the benefits of being in our 30s; we're a bit more mature.

You have a pretty good segue into this conversation: a recent breakup.

And I think you can phrase this in many different ways, but you could say that one of the struggles you had in your relationship with "Melissa" is that you have feelings for other guys.

Please, I urge you not to have this conversation by text. Email is okay, but phone is better. There might be awkward silences, but you'll get feedback right away rather than clicking "send" and waiting for a response.

As you know, you're going to have to be ready for the fact that Jake might not be in the closet at all. He might be only attracted to women. But you'll keep him as an even closer, more meaningful friend. And that's worth everything.

I'm glad that you've already come out to a few people, and you're really moving forward with your life.

But I think you need to just tell him. I'm putting my money on a sense of relief for you.

Good luck and take care of yourself!

20. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You really ought to see Jake again, when his so-so girlfriend is not going to be around, and then come out to him. Make it clear that you have had reservations about telling him only because you value him so much and can't bear the thought that he would not want to be your friend if he knew, which is why you wanted to tell him in person. That you feel like he is someone you can trust with your secret even if he is disappointed in you to know it. Then see what he says, and go from there.

Maybe he will say what you want to hear; maybe it will take him more time than you have in the visit to process the information. Don't bring up how you feel about him unless he says something positive about how he feels about you. Take your time, closet doors move slowly.