1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Balance?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by skiff, Feb 22, 2014.

1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I have been thinking about balance...

In particular treating life like a schooner, with plenty of bow shock as you plow through life (closet) versus letting the currents of life move you along an unknown journey.

The first 28 years of my life happened naturally. I was closeted but did not direct any aspect of life. It fell into place like dominoes. I had a partner, a house, a boat, a good job and I was happy.

When my partner left me I (me, myself and I) took charge. I decided the only path to an emotionally stable relationship was to be married, wife/kids all nine yards. I made it work until I could not anymore (21 years, disintegration began 15 years in), but is was work. All the natural flow of life was gone.

Now I am away from wife, 600 miles away, and the bow shock of this transition makes me wonder if I should just let go and let life takes its course and stop fighting for what I think I want.

"You ca't always get what you want"

Maybe what I want is wrong.

I don't know based on my mistakes of the closet has left me not trusting my own judgment.

Anybody else?

Tom

2. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Tom,

I think I've had more of a tendency to go in the opposite direction in a lot of ways, making snap decisions instead of plans, going in what seems like a good direction at the time, with no plan whatsoever. I could probably learn a lot from you about planning and fighting for what I think I want. But I have to tell you, some of the best things in my life have come about because of those "Oh, what the hell, why not?" decisions. Not like I'm flighty or impulsive, just very much open to outside forces blowing me one way or another. Letting go of a little of that control and direction might surprise you and be a really positive thing (just as trying to add some would probably be a good thing for me). Balance is a good thing. Without it the boat tips over pretty easily.

John

3. Richie.

Hi To, I do believe life finds It's own way, relaxing into should just be second nature...

I have felt like you though.. It's all good, just take it easy.. Do something that makes you happy, be it read a book or watch a movie, may I suggest milk! :slight_smile:

Peace

4. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Yup, in my 20's went shopping for canoe and came home with a 27' cabin cruiser (older, used), but was a great unplanned choice.

Tom

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We make plans in order to reach what we think are worthy goals. It's a way of controlling outcomes...

But that's not the way life works. There's a reason trees and flowers release billions of pollen grains into the air, despite the very low success rate of that pollen dust actually landing on a flower. Nature demonstrates profligacy, the charm of flowers, the riotous colours of certain animals when mating, there are choices upon choices.

If we composed our lives more like artists, or within an artistic paradigm, we will have adopted an evolutionary, artistic, creative paradigm. Life then becomes a process of selective consumption from a set of alternatives. The artistic paradigm forces one to become ever more discerning about the value and beauty, and even utility, of things.

So you learn about the best time and place to get maple syrup, or oysters. You learn about what makes the best wood for a particular piece of furniture. Instead of just looking at price (which most of us do), we refine our senses for the pleasure that a particular thing gives us, we appreciate the value of something, the beauty of someone's love, or the charm of that squirrel grooming himself on that branch just outside my window, in glistening bright winter morning sunshine...

All life is, is about doing something because it seemed like a good idea at the time and it fit into the whole pattern of our lives, like the right colour chosen from the palate, for that corner of a painting. It just felt right there and nowhere else, that colour and none other.

As some else has said here: it was what it was...and now it's past.

#5 greatwhale, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  6. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

What got me thinking about this (and it snowballed); I was at a job fair yesterday after the fair spoke to college advisors about a career change, then my friend and I went to a bar. Sitting there I turned to my friend and the batender and I asked; "I need a haircut, what would be most appropriate for job interviews?". They both replied "What you want, the interview is unrelated."

I was freaking over thinking a damn haircut!!!

Tom

7. Richie.