1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's talk trust...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by skiff, Feb 23, 2014.

1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi All,

Is trust and vulnerability the biggest challenge into the future?

Face it, if we were trusting, open, vulnerable people we would not be here.

So...

Once closed, once hurt, once closeted to trust and vulnerability how do you regain it?

We all have our shields up so were is the off switch?

Tom

2. Richie.

I have abandonment issues. I don't think I'll ever get over it tbh

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well...

As far as EC allows I will not abandon you.

Tom

4. D43054

I think we're learning trust here... It will take time.

5. Richie.

Awww, thanks Tom, right back atcha... I think this is the reason I'm panicking over what happened to me last night...

6. MiAngel

Have trust issues...afraid of being used and not truly loved.

7. HopeFloats

I absolutely have trust issues. I'm trying to remind myself to live in the moment more, to practice mindfulness, enjoy each day etc. There are no guarantees in life, in any relationship, with regard to our health, our children's health, etc. So, instead of sitting around feeling jealous/ unworthy/ with walls fully intact .... I'd like to experience love and relationship. Risky, yes. But worth it, I think.

8. GayDadStr8Marig

trust issues, yes... but for others or myself or both?

9. Van

Van

This!

I don't think I could ever fully trust anyone. Sometimes I'm not even sure if I could trust myself. I'm a mess.

10. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some of us have suffered real abandonment. (Richie, you've alluded to it, but I don't think you've talked about it much here.)

But I think all of us have suffered from the fear of abandonment. I think it's one of the big drivers that kept a lot of us in the closet for so long. We long for acceptance, but fear the loss of it.

I think we're all vulnerable, or we wouldn't be in this situation. So the issue for me is whether we're open enough to be public in our vulnerability. And Tom, I think if we weren't vulnerable, we wouldn't be here. Maybe we're looking at two sides of the same coin...

As for trust... It's probably not wise to be too trusting in the world in which we live. But by sharing our vulnerability, we begin to be open again. And, being more open, we learn whom we can trust and whom we can't.

Many of us have gained a beachhead in the battle for trust; we've found one or more people that we can be ourselves with. And we need to move forward from the beachhead.

Wow, that was a ramble! And I hate that I slipped into a war metaphor!:tantrum:

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Add me to the list of people who have trust issues.

And I honestly have to wonder if I'll ever be able to trust... I hope so, but I still wonder.

Although, to a degree, one thing I've noticed: many of the people I've had trouble with gave me ample warning of the fact. Even if I didn't fully recognize it at the time.

One story I've told before was about an incident involving my supposed best friend during 2nd and 3rd grades. It's a long story. But the basic Cliff's Notes: we went exploring the woods by his grandmother's house one day. And as we were leaving, he stopped at some point. He pointed out that I didn't know my way out of the woods. And he said he wouldn't show me unless I "proved I was a boy." You have one good guess what evidence he was interested in seeing. (Please note: this was not a case "I'll show you mine if you show me yours!" This was "you'll show me yours, or else!") The experience was scary, upsetting, and humiliating.

But...looking back, I had plenty of small clues that this boy's trustworthiness--at least as far as our relationship was concerned--was lacking. I just didn't recognize it at the time. (And I probably tolerated a lot of things I shouldn't have because he was my only friend. He dumped me, and I was left with zero. Even at the tender age of 9, I was pretty much a social outcast at school.)

12. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Luckily my school had a clique of of those boys. We sat at the "quiet" table. It was quiet because we were all shy.

In hindsight most likely all gay too. So we were a brotherhood of sorts.

Tom

13. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So did my school--middle school and high school. We weren't the quiet table, though; I don't remember the others as being terribly shy. The one thing we all had in common was that we were all unbelievably good at academics. We weren't accepted into the larger cliques--we were too odd, each in our own way. But we accepted one another's oddness; we were truly a brotherhood of sorts.

In hindsight--in my case--I was probably the only gay guy in the group.

And BMC, I did experience the same kind of meanness you did. I don't think we ever forget those moments in our lives.

14. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Funny how different people process things differently.

As a boy I too have a "woods" story. My friend and I were in the woods, grew up somewhat rural. We were around 10. Older boys came upon us, had us strip, threatened to hurt us with the machete they had if we did not obey. Made us dance naked around a fire they started and give them oral sex.

To this day it does not bother me. It is all about them. Yes, they did it to us but I am sure it haunts them. I have no angst about it. It did not affect my self worth. I was simply a victim of some older boys with real issues.

Tom

15. Richie.

thats really a healthy way of looking at it, you bet it haunts them!!! And so it should!!! Your a great guy Tom!:eusa_clap

16. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Thanks for that.

No way will I make somebody else's crap/garbage/bad behaviour and make it mine.

Great guy? Must be that UK contribution to my DNA. :slight_smile:

Tom

17. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think more fear of abandonment than trust - but realistically, aren't those two sides of the same coin? If you fear being abandoned, it's because you don't trust people enough to think they'll stay with you. I know I was already started down that road before the hormones hit and I started noticing other boys. And after looking through Joe Kort's book, I get a little sad because I'm realizing that in many respects, the person who provided so many of the qualities I like about myself also was responsible for a lot of that fear. There are days, particularly in this whole experience of shifting priorities and figuring out how to best reboot my life, that it comes crashing back with a vengeance, but I'm relying on good attitude, good friends and good therapy to help me get it behind me once and for all.

18. GayDadStr8Marig

For me a large part of it is due to my being reliant (dependent) on others to validate my worth my whole life. First, it was doing whatever needed to be done to please my parents. Then it was to please friends in college. Then to please my wife. Then to please the kids. It's never been about pleasing me and the prospect is unnerving.

19. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :kiss:

Hi,

If it pleases you...

I am just damn proud to know you virtually! The real deal must be amazing!

I mean that. (*hug*)

Tom

20. mermaid

OMG, it could be me who wrote that!
    I have just begun to find out what I want with my life and I am still struggling to tell people whom I really am because it makes me vulnerable.

Skiff, I wish I could handle my woods story as you can handle yours. Mine left me with a huge amount of shame and guilt and of course trust issues.