1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gay later in life....acting out. HELPPPPP

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by prettylonely, Feb 24, 2014.

1. prettylonely

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    sorry for the long post, but please read and help. i am grasping at straws and need advice....

Hi guys, I really need your help. Here's some backstory. i am in my late 30s. i have repressed my attraction to guys for years. i had girlfriends (a few) in my 20s. i am long term relationship oriented and generally had a goodie-two-shoes persona. not because i was trying to be a goodie-goodie, i just was kinda boring and nerdy and the guy next door type. i did like my girlfriends but i knew i liked guys too. i moved away from my city in my early 30s and moved to a major metropolitan city. there were more gays there. i was single. i felt like i wanted to explore and for about almost 10 years (believe it or not) i have been putting my foot in the gay water toe by toe.it's been a long process and i still have not gone "all the way with a guy" or had a boyfriend yet. but i have accepted to myself that i like guys. you would think it would not take almost ten years to do this but it has.

anyway, i started going to the club scene about 6 years or so ago. at first it was a way to see other gay guys live in living color. then i accepted that was bored of going to straight clubs and really wanted to be where gay people were.

i have actually come out to a few people and recently have been making strides in trying to accept myself. i have a lot of shame and bad thoughts about my same sex attraction. i have sought counseling support because it was becoming overwhelming and i was very depressed.

over the past couple of years, whenever i would go to some of the gay clubs, it would be a cycle. i would go, i would get some drinks in me, and i would let loose and touch and grab guys rear-ends in public. they would let me of course, but it was a way for me to get some feels and i would never do anything more. then i would go home. worry the next day that someone saw me doing that sort of thing. feel shame. feel bad. feel more shame and guilt and then i would banish myself from the clubs and go into hiding. then i would resurface again at another club 3 months later and do it all again. i would not take these guys home where we could be alone in private, but i would act out in the clubs in public and worry about it later. seems stupid but not sure why i did/do that.

lately my overall self image and self esteem is in the toilet. i'm old for gay clubs (late 30s) but surprisingly guys still like me there. not everyone does but i can still get my fair share of attention. but i'm so scared to physically do anything with guys in terms of going all the way. at the club i feel ok about my behavior and actually feel liberated and like i'm having fun. the next day i feel shameful about my behavior and hate myself for it. i wonder if i was doing the same thing in a straight club would i feel bad......Probably not. but the cycle of shame keeps going.

i have made some positive strides. i came out to a guy i thought was cute but he said he was straight and still wanted to be my friend. i felt that was awesome. i also came out to a friend of mine as well and she was accepting. i recently saw two people that may not have known i was gay and they were at the gay clubs (one was gay, one was not). i felt embarrassed a little and wondered how they now perceive me.

basically i'm just being flirty and social at these clubs and sometimes i dance....kinda what you are supposed to do at the clubs. however the groping is uncalled for and i feel like a slut for it. also i can dance suggestively and i also feel like a male-slut for that.again, when i am doing these things to women, i do not feel like a slut. i just feel like i'm dancing at a club. but when it is a guy involved, i feel like a whore. i am also christian so i'm dealing with that too.

i guess i need help guys because i feel terrible about myself lately and feel like i'm going into one of my cycles of hiding again becuase my gay and straight worlds are now colliding. i wish i could be more comfortable with my sexuality. at the club and after a few drinks, what i want seems clear. it seems natural, and it seems like i really want to connect physically and emotionally with another guy. however, after the drinks wear off and i'm at my house wondering who say me and what they think about me as a result, i feel like crap. i want to get out my cycle. i want to be ok with being me. i just dont know how to do it. the good guy that had a good image, seems like he is no longer there. it feels like i can no longer try and make myself perfect and it's hard to just be a regular person. im drained and i can't keep trying to be this other perfect guy anymore that always does the right things and says the right things and acts the appropriate way. i feel like i'm reliving my 20s or college years but i'm too old for that now....any advice. helppppppp me.

can anyone help or offer advice. i feel horrible.

2. Jim1454

Hi there, and welcome to EC! You've come to the right place.

Fundamentally it sounds like you're not accepting yourself or comfortable with your orientation. You've had this part of you locked up for a long time because you are uncomfortable with it - and when it 'gets out' after a few drinks at a night club you are ashamed of it.

(I shouldn't make light of it, because it bothers you, but at least you're not doing something even more damaging. I became a sex addict - and DID go back to their place for sex and felt horrible about it afterwards. Others turn to alcohol or drugs.)

Coming out to people is a great first step. Meeting people in non-sexual situations (i.e. not in clubs) would also be good. Join a social club for gays. A bowling league or something. Meet other gays that way and learn to connect with people in a more open, authentic, and vulnerable way. (Easily said, not easily done.)

Have you considered counselling? It seems to me that talking with an unbiased professional would be helpful.

I'll leave it at that for now. Lots of others I'm sure will chime in.

Again - welcome!

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Clubs... Meat markets?

What are you looking for in the clubs?

What do you want in your life relationship-wise?

Tom

4. prettylonely

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hi skiff and jim....i am in counseling. it has help me get to the point where i have felt a little more ok with coming out to some people. this year, i have come out to 3 people so far. as far as the clubs, i only go to look at attractive guys because i do not know where else guy gays go. its pretty much what straight people go to clubs for. just to dance and have fun and flirt. they are all meat markets. but yea, i definitely need to stop going. i never feel good about myself after i act out and get too sexual with the dance moves.

relationshipwise, i want to date, and get to know someone and that's about it. ultimatley, i woudl like a boyfriend.

5. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Ok, that sounds good and healthy.

If in the US go to Find your people - Meetup and plug in your zip code and search on "LGBT" or "gay". That will bring up local social activity groups.

These are not meat markets.

Find your local gay accepting church and check out their coffee hour. I met my best friend in one of those coffee hours.

Look for gay sports leagues. You are in your 30's you still heal overnight. LOL

Get out of those clubs and start into healthy gay venues.

Tom

6. prettylonely

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    tom, here's the think. i'm not white. i know that most of those gay accepting events and clubs and stuff are attended mostly by white guys. nothing wrong with that. race is not a big did but culturally i just feel out of place. because i feel like a double minority there. i am not into sports so that's out. but i am open to meeting people outside my race, i just feel alone and kinda want to meet ohter people that look like me or in my culture but they do not really have a lot of groups for me. also, when i go to gay events (non club) i feel "gay". i know that sounds weird but i find that people there are usually very comfortable with themselves and maybe less masculine. not a big thing at all but i feel like i do not fit in there. maybe i should learn how to play sports but it's not my thing. i think you are right. i have to get out of the clubs.

7. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I don't care if you are polka dot!

Think about it... Every gay person wears the "minority" shoes. We are the most accepting demographic in society. We haven't even won our civil rights yet.

If I met you I would only care you had a good heart and good mind.

Yeah I am white... My best friend, the one I ment at church... South American. In under a year I would trust him with my life.

I don't care what color you are. Well... I am a sucker for brown eyes.

Tom

#7 skiff, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  8. prettylonely

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    thanks. i feel pretty down on myself right now. i feel like such a bad person. i think that being seen acting out makes me feel less of a normal person and i feel terrible.

9. bottomsup

Hi, as I can attest to, acceptance is the hardest thing to do, I have not yet done anything, but have accepted myself as being gay. It took the help of my wife and good friend to coax it out of me, it was really really hard to accept to the core, when did (just last week really) accept it and all that it means, wow, big change inside, lots of layers of self hate, methods of avoidance seemed to lift. Sadly means I now have to end marrige, even though all I have done is accept myself, have not touched anyone to date. Its all I want though. Im 40 in 5 days.
    Good luck

10. GayDadStr8Marig

First off, you're not a bad person. You're a decent human being who was taught from early on in life that being different is bad, being gay is less worthy of love and respect, that pigment is more important than character. (*hug*)

Now you're trying to find a way to be yourself and the outlets are limited. Acting out as you described strikes me as perfectly "normal" -- think about it, have you watched guys at "straight" clubs with the "ladies" (quoted deliberately)... hands everywhere, grinding, you name it. Certainly a lot more intense than a butt grab at a gay bar. :eek:

Besides, the gay you is a lot younger than the rest of you; give that part of yourself a break while it catches up with the rest of you. And like Tom said, a person's character and their mind are much more attractive to me than the packaging on the outside; not to say some eye candy doesn't help, but that's just superficial stuff that wears off. :thumbsup: :icon_bigg The most important thing is to be comfortable with yourself; no matter how accepting the people around you are, you have to be comfortable with yourself to be comfortable with them, to be able to open up and share your authentic self to make friendships and find someone for a relationship. From openness, you build trust and then trust can grow into love.

11. prettylonely

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i really needed to hear this. i have talked to a few close friends that know my situation and they have said the same thing. essentially that i need to lighten up, enjoy life, and i'm did not do anything that hasn't been happening in the clubs already (gay or straight). also, my paranoia of if people were talking about me or telling others...well my friends said they hated to burst my bubble but nobody is thinking about me that hard anyway. they tend to give me tough love. they basically told me i need to accept being gay and stop fighting it and that i am acting out due to loneliness and that i need to meet someone. i agree with it all. i am not comfortable with myself. i almost hate myself in a way but not really. i love me, but also hate the gay part of me. still wishing it was not there or that i could be a more mature gay guy whose behaviors fits the rest of himself. but like you said, i need to realize that it took years of experience in other areas of my life to be confident and more relaxed. however, the "gay part of me" well i never let that grow. so now im letting it grow at a later age and that's why things are matching up. if i had started going to gay clubs when i was 21 and experiencing gay sex and hooking up and relationships, well by my age i would be a lot more advanced and probably not going to gay clubs anymore. but im actually learning as i go now. i think you hit the nail on the head...when i get more accepting of myself then i can go to places and not have to feel so bad about myself.

---------- Post added 24th Feb 2014 at 10:43 PM ----------

so how do you "accept" yourself. i accept in my mind that i like guys. that i find some of them HOT. that i would love to be in a relationship with a guy that makes me feel great. but all of that is trapped in the little gay closet in my head. where i can have my gay thoughts and ideal life. but then i am straight world all the time. so whenever i do anything "gay" i feel like a slut. it's so stupid to feel this way because even when i was dating women, if i did anything sexual i would also feel like a whore with them too. overall any sexual expression i do or have i label it as bad. so for years i tried to hide in celibacy and that's probably why i am butt grabbing and going nuts in the club. i am afraid to have sex though.

12. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

First off... Gay is not a way to behave. It is none of the stereotypes you see out there. Gay is simply what gender you are attracted to romanticly and sexually. The gay "stereotypes" are simply the visible minority of LGBT community. In my opinion there are far more gays that fit no gay stereotype. We are average people living average lives and nobody would know our sexuality as it is unrelated to our social interaction. If something is "not you" don't do it. Just because you are gay does not mean you have to change ANYTHING about who you are.

I am gay, I dislike hookups, I dislike open relationships, I am not into fashion, theatre, or drama. You are you and if something makes you feel bad don't do it. You are not adopting a new persona by being gay. The only thing that changes is you accept your sexuality and act on it.

If you are a masculine acting, morally conservative, man that doesn't change because you accept being gay. Forget the stupid gay stereotypes. You are you, gay does not alter you, it is simply part of you.

You most likely are "baby gay". :slight_smile:. Many professionals believe that when you enter the closet your sexuality suffers arrested development and only resumes when you leave the closet. That closeted period is an act. But once out you mature at an accelerated rate due to the asset of life experience. So if you entered the closet at age 21 when you leave the closet you pick up at age 21. Be aware of that and try to avoid the mistakes of a 21 year old.

I have seen guys make the mistake of thinking "I am gay, that means I need to act X, Y and Z", but it isn't them and they are just as miserable. They entered a gay closet instead of being their gay authentic self.

Be who you are. Don't enter any lie of a lifestyle, be yourself. Then you will light up on somebody's radar looking for the authentic man you display.

Accepting can be as easy as simply being who you are, only diff you date guys.

Tom

#12 skiff, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  13. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What skiff says is absolutely correct - you must accept who you are, but that doesn't mean change who you are. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that all gay men are the same, because we are not. We're as different as any other group of people you'll meet and you don't need to conform. Yes, some gay men are rather flambouyant and tactile and receive tend lots of attention, but others are very masculine and hard to differentiate from any straight man.

If you enjoy going to bars, clubs and saunas, having lots of drinks and casual sex with different people, that's fine, but I don't think that is you at all. So, if it's not you, why do it? You are not being true to yourself and you are ingraining the self hatred even more.

When I made the decision to accept my sexuality and come out I did lose some people and thought I wouldn't cope, but I did. I made new friends who have supported and sustained me through huge personal challenges - I gained far more than I lost. If people truly love you, they will accept you and support you, but you need to accept yourself first. Self acceptance is the first hurdle to overcome. Only then can you start to consider what sort of relationship you want and with whom (at the moment you seem to be putting the cart before the horse).

There are many different ways of meeting a potential partner once you've crossed the line of self acceptance, but that's a secondary issue right now.

You mentioned your faith earlier too and I wonder if that's a source of emotional conflict? Well, I didn't abandon my faith when I realised I was gay because I didn't see any contradiction, and I still don't. The Church and some clergy/pastors see a false contradiction, but there are also lots of Gay Christians (and other faiths too) + support/social groups There is a whole lot of support and plenty of options out there for you.

Accept who you are, be true to yourself and try to stay strong. You can get through this.

14. taobroin

taobroin Guest

I haven't read too many of the other postings here, as there are many, but I wanted to add my $.02 and say a few things to you. I too was gripped with toxic shame and internalized homophobia when I was younger - I still have not completely healed from my toxic upbringing and traumatic 1st coming out. It took me many years to really understand and accept the damage that was done to my psyche and spirit as a young man. I strongly recommend the book (or audiobook) 'Velvet Rage'. to help you understand some of what you're experiencing. Here's an excerpt from a review I read at an online bookstore: "... an honest and straight forward book that speaks to the direct effects of homophobia on the psychological development of gay men. In The Velvet Rage, the author has taken a tremendous risk with his honesty. He has been willing to expose the truth about how the invalidation of this culture has resulted in self-loathing, over-compensation, and high-risk behaviors in the gay community. It gives the reader a window into the potential "whys" of these behaviors which in turn validates the experience of the gay man...." ... I found the work brilliant, insightful and a gift to anyone still struggling with self acceptance and coming out - all the best to you!

15. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Universalists are a good example. They accept all belief systems that lead to God and support the gay community.

It is amazing to learn what Pagan, Christin, Jew, Islamic, Buddhist, Native People's (etc) share in their path to God. Like the LGBT community it is the similarities that bind not the differences which separate.

If you want to carry a pink purse while mudding in your 4x4 I am cool with that. Really bad example but you get the point.

Tom

16. prettylonely

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    the self loathing is so strong in me it's ridiculous. even other people tell me that i need to get over it. i will try and read the book.

17. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I want to make you feel better about yourself.

Tell us more about the origins of the self loathing.

Tom

18. prettylonely

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    it's pretty simple.

do nothing gay and just be asexual...i feel normal and like my old self

do something gay, have gay thoughts, have any physical intimacy with a guy...kiss, make out, or do anything gay in public....dance with a guy, kiss a guy, touch a guy at a gay club of all places...feel like a whore.

the loathing has always been there. not sure how to turn it off.

19. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Who installed these feelings in you? Family, church, other?

As an adult what authority do they have in your life now?

Have you tried meditation to calm these feelings? http://www.themeditationpodcast.com/index.html

Try podcast 21...

Tom

#19 skiff, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  20. prettylonely

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    maybe a combo of all three. not sure how they got there but they are there. whenever i would have sex with a woman, i would feel the same way. i have a somewhat victorian era idea of what is and what is not acceptable proper behavior. maybe i am reincarnated from a previous life and i was a 1900 lace dressed wearing victorian aristocrat. i'm not sure. all i know is that any signs of not being proper make me feel like a whore. my family does not share these views as much as i do so im not sure why i have them. i tried meditating a few times but i resisted it since. when i did do it, i focused on the reality of where i was at that moment and not what happened in teh past or future or whatever, just that period of "now". i stopped doing this as it was contray to my religious christian upbringings of meditating (zoning out versus being a prayful meditation).as an adult they do not have any authority to tell me what to do but i feel a great dishonor to them and the other ancestors that have passed away as though i am sullying the family name by shaking my money maker on teh danceflooor in a gay club. i do not feel the same shame when i am doing the same thing at a straight club with a woman.