1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Word "Love"

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by alf55, Feb 24, 2014.

1. alf55

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Like everyone else today, I started a new week. In spite of coming out to myself and the EC forums last week, not much has changed other than I am feeling a slight sense of relief. I don't know if this will make any sense, but I feel like the defenses I had up against MYSELF have been lowered a little. I know there is quite the journey ahead but the momentum is now there. And I know I'm not alone.

I haven't fully explored the EC forums but I was wondering if there has been any discussion threads about the word "love" here. Our heart, mind and soul have an amazing capacity to love, yet, unless I'm missing something, the English language has only the one word.

Ancient Greek has at least four words for love: 1) agápē-often refers to a general affection or deeper sense of "true unconditional love". 2) éros-refers to physical passionate love, with sensual desire and longing, or romantic, pure emotion without the balance of logic. 3) philía-is "mental" love and refers to affectionate regard or friendship. It includes loyalty to friends, family, and community, and requires virtue, equality and familiarity. In ancient texts, it denoted a general type of love, used for love between family, between friends, a desire or enjoyment of an activity, as well as between lovers. 4) storgē-refers to a natural affection, like that felt by parents for offspring. It is also known to express mere acceptance or putting up with situations.

BTW - I am no scholar of ancient Greek...Wikipedia helped me out here. :icon_bigg

It's a shame English doesn't have words as rich in meaning as these Greek words. It's not hard for me to tell a woman I love her. The context in which I say it, I think, is generally understood, but there is still room for misunderstanding. As a man, never mind a closeted gay man, it is almost impossible for me to tell another man "I love you" without fear of a black eye. :eek: I say almost because I do have a very small number of male friends, straight and gay, to whom I can express the words "I love you" and it is known I mean it in terms of philía.

Thanks for putting up with my philosophical musings tonight. That is what was on my mind. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Love you all, in the sense of philía. (&&&)

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone