1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moved out, tell parents soon...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by bigeagle, Feb 27, 2014.

1. bigeagle

Hi guys,

I've not posted for a while, so I thought it would be good to update and seek advice from those in similar situations.

I moved out from my family home, 2 weeks ago. I have found a flat share nearby, which means I can easily visit my baby boy. Packing my bags and 'leaving home' was very emotional for me, I'd lived in the house for 6 years and the memories flooded back.

So now I'm here, wondering what next. I've not told my parents I've moved out, or that there is any issue whatsoever. They are going to be shocked, devastated, disapointed. My mums 70th birthday is 3 weeks time, so have decided to leave until after that. My wife would like me to mention it this week, but I've decided against her wishes.

So... Anyone told the parents? Advice on how to manage the situation? Deal with the aftermath...?!

Thanks guys, this place has really helped me.

2. purpletide

purpletide Guest

Hope everything goes well with you. Hope your parents take it well. You know your parents better than anyone here, you probably know the best way to break it to them.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's no easy way to tell it like it is, hence, best to be direct and blunt about it, get it out of the way first, plenty of time for explanations later.

4. KneeDragger

I was where you are at about 3 years ago. I moved out and then got the courage up to tell my parents and my sister. I got both of my parents on the phone and explained that I had moved out and that I was gay. My mom started crying but not because I was gay. She was worried about me and the family. My dad kinda said "WHAT??!!!" in the background when I said those words, but I don't remember him saying much after that.

I was concerned about my dad's reaction. While driving to work the next day, he called. I didn't answer because I just wasn't prepared for it. He left me a voicemail that went something like this:

When you were born, we signed up for a life long commitment just like you did when your kids were born. I just wanted to let you know that your mother and I both love you and that we may not exactly understand what's going on, you are still our son.

That was the best message I think I could have ever gotten. My family was never affectionate or emotional. Getting a message like this was huge.

So I hope that you can get the courage up to tell your parents and I hope that they have a positive reaction. It's very scary, but in the end, what can they do about it? They can't kick you out of the house or punish you. But they can turn away. I hope yours don't do that.

5. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I wish you all the best. Can't say I have any advice for you because I haven't told my parents yet.