1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where am I going?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by saqi08, Mar 1, 2014.

1. saqi08

I am new here, but have seen how supportive everyone is, so I thought I could lay bare my life, as there is no one right now I can confide in.
    I have been married for 21 years. The first 5 or 6 were pretty happy, with 2 children. Our sex life was never great though, and I thought maybe he was gay - I even went through a period where I cut my hair very short (he suggested this) and wore boyish clothes, thinking maybe this would turn him on. Then after the second child, my husband lost all interest in sex. He had recently had a vasectomy, and said it took away his sex drive. Any attempt I made was rebuffed, and after a while I stopped trying. I looked to others for companionship, and after a few years reconnected with an old boyfriend, who supplied me with "benefits" a few times a year. That relationship was special to me, but as he lived in another city it was understood that this would be just when we could make it happen, no strings.
    For the sake of the kids, and mostly because my husband said he would never leave me, (was indignant that I would even go there...) we are still married.
    About 8 months ago I was relating this story to a very close girlfriend. She reached over and kissed me, and we ended up in the bedroom for an incredible night. I had never known she felt this way about me, as she is married as well and has a good sex life with her husband. We have since repeated the encounters and send loving texts to each other. I have had crushes on women in the past, and fantasize about women all the time, but I never identified as bi or gay. Now I am struggling with my identity as well as living in an asexual marriage... sorry this is so long, so I will stop now. I am seeking counseling soon, but wanted to share with anyone who has had a similar experience. Would be grateful for any input :slight_smile:

2. azure au

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey saqi. You were right when you said we had similar backgrounds. My relationship ended two years ago and I remained single until a friendship I treasured changed into a romantic relationship. I never saw that coming and questioned if my orientation had somehow effected my past relationship.

I think some counselling would be a great idea. there is so much going on for you right now. I also know just how lonely it is with no one to confide in. I have at times felt miserable not being able to work something through with a friend or just tell someone about a great experience with my partner or anything really.

I am so glad you decided to open up. it sounds like you are dealing with two issues, one of a marriage that makes you sad and another of questioning your sexuality. Thats a lot on anyone and when you add isolation to the mix I can only imagine how lost you feel at times.

I hope you will feel comfortable to share a little more about how you are feeling.

3. Richie.

Thanks for sharing your story, very interesting! So is your husband gay? Or just has low sex drive? He could be depressed or something if he has no interest in sex..

Good that your starting therapy I think it will help a lot get you head around all this!

Welcome to EC!!

4. Penpal

(*hug*)Welcome to the EC. It really has been an eye opener to me seeing how many people are living a similar life to me. I'm in counselling and it has been a massive help to me. I hope yours helps you. It sounds like you have a real connection with your friend which you can't ignore. If the friend I fell for had kissed me I know I wouldn't have been able to stop it. My feelings for her were/are so strong. Unfortunately she has closed the door on me. What ever the reason your marriage doesn't sound like its in a good place. You need to be true to yourself. That's what I'm trying to do and my counsellor is helping me with that. I have spent my life making other people happy and ignoring my own needs. I avoid conflict. I'm taking it one step at a time but I think I'm heading in the right direction. It sounds to me you know what you want you just need to find the courage to be yourself. Good luck.

5. saqi08

Thanks to you all for your words of support. I feel I am getting stronger already. Penpal, like you I am always trying to make others happy, and I avoid conflict. I am not good with major change either and that is why I have stayed in my marriage so long.

I tried counseling a few years ago, but I didn't have quite the comfort level with her I wanted, and I don't think I was able to tell her enough for her to help me. I also had my husband attend a session with me, and that was a disaster. He was awful to her, said she only took my side, and was getting in the way of our relationship, that we could work this out on our own. I saw her once more after that, alone. All she said was he was a very "interesting" person, and That I would have to decide on my own what to do. The thing is, i didn't feel I had the tools I needed to work through it all. I feel now I am stronger and I can voice my needs much better than I could then, so hoping this go-round will be better.

What complicates it all as well are financial issues. we are living paycheck to paycheck, as he has no regular income. I make all the money though still not enough to make ends meet, we are way overextended. If we divorce, I would have to pay him alimony. And Richie, that I think is part of the problem, he told me he feels emasculated by that, as well as suffering from some depression. He won't go for help as he is in complete denial. There is more to it than that though, the dis-interest in sex came long before he lost his job. I don't have any evidence that he is gay, but this can't be all my fault.

I am questioning though as you are, Azure, my role in the mess of my marriage --that maybe I have not been true to myself, and without consciously realizing I had strong feelings for women, I have been pushing him away.

Thanks everyone, I am happy we have each other. It feels so good to be able to talk!

6. Penpal

I'm not sure who you saw before but I made sure the councillor I saw was lgbt friendly. She turned out to be gay with two grown up children and lives happily with her female partner. That in itself was a big help to me. It sounds like your husband has his own issues and your marriage would have suffered anyway without your confusion. It does sound like you are in a complicated situation financially and with your husbands depression. However you can't keep supporting your husband forever, he has to help himself too. Have you looked into the legal situation if you separated? I'm planning on doing that this week. In the uk you get help if you are single. I'm sure it must be the same in the USA. I'm sure you care for your husband but you can't stay with him if your heart is elsewhere. It's not fair on you or him in the long run. Really hope you find some support but here if you want to talk. X

7. saqi08

Thanks, Penpal. I didn't look for LGBT friendly in a counselor last time but I definitively will this time. I have been looking for an attorney as well to see what my options are, thanks so much.
    Will be following how you are doing as well!

8. saqi08

I am excited, I made my first appointment with a new LGBT friendly counselor. I finally feel like I can start to become "unstuck" and move forward in my life :slight_smile:

9. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi saqi...you may well already have considered this (and meant to imply that in your post), but I wanted to be sure: *absolutely* make sure you find an LGBT-friendly lawyer as well!!

10. saqi08

Thanks, BiAnnika for the words of wisdom. I will remember that when I am ready for that step. Although I am taking this one day at a time, I don't see how much longer I can endure my marriage in its current state. I feel I am missing out on so much in life, and I am ready for the adventure!

11. Penpal

That's fab news. I think you will find it a big help. Let us know how you get on. X :icon_bigg

12. azure au

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am really happy to hear you will be getting some support saqi. As others have said someone LGBTI friendly is really important. My counsellor clearly wasn't, her body language and tone of voice made that clear. I made no progress while seeing her.
    I hope it helps you, I am glad you are making yourself a priority!

13. farmgirl

Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome! I'm new here as well it is a wonderful place. I am also married and trying to figure it all out. Look forward to getting to know you!

14. saqi08

Thanks Everyone for your support :slight_smile: I will let you know Tuesday how it goes.
    Thanks for your post Farmgirl. I know that together we are stronger, we can all help each other!

15. HopeFloats

It is really, really unusual for anyone to get alimony in this day and age. You don't say how old the children are now. But if you did separate from your husband, any child support obligations would likely depend on whether they lived with you or with him.

I would encourage you to explore the reality of the situation with a lawyer, an LGBT friendly lawyer like others said, before you decide you couldn't afford to leave marriage. Too often we let assumptions and fear guide us, in my opinion.

Good luck with the counselor!

16. QqQq

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Saqi, have you heard the campaign "It gets better"? It does.

My first marriage was similar to yours. So first of all, whatever your attractions are, you need out of that deal. Unload that guy and move someplace more affordable. It seems as if there are obstacles, but do it anyway. You'll wonder why you thought it was such a big effort once you've done it and feel free of the drain on your soul.

So then you can live. It will be ok if you are true to yourself. Not "easy" every step of the way, but right, true and authentic.

I don't know you, but I know this situation. I'd have stayed if my husband had been interested in us having a good relationship on any level. He wasn't, which was his choice to make but like me, you don't have to sit there till you die in a tomb of a marriage.

17. saqi08

Hi Qq, thanks so much for the words of encouragement. I am sure you are right, that the way I am living now and the fear of the unknown are probably worse than the actual consequences.
    Coming on this site is the best thing I have done for myself in a very long time -- I have received great advice and it had empowered me to seek counseling again - the first step to sorting it all out. Thanks to you all!

18. saqi08

First visit with counselor done! She was great, and very, very supportive. I felt good letting her know everything about me, and she was able to read me quite well. My next stop will be to find the right attorney. Alimony was mentioned again -- I have let my husband be dependent on me for way too long, and that is going to hurt me in the end. Ugh! there is a definite price for inaction.

19. Wildclover

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If you're living paycheck to paycheck already the courts may not award alimony. Obviously your attorney is going to be the best source of information but if you're working yourself into a worry I would see what information is available online. Also, you're already paying for two people now and, once single, you'll have more control over your financial situation. You could move to a cheaper city or state or closer to a better paying job. You'll make the decisions about what to buy and services to use. You may find, even paying alimony, that your finances are in a better position.

20. saqi08

Hi Wildclover, thanks. I hope that is the case. I know my finances in general will be better once I am on my own, as we are selling the house as soon as possible. I am going to try to get as much good legal advice as I can to find out what my options are.