1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A positive tale

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by All out, Mar 3, 2014.

1. All out

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I appreciated finding empty closets some time ago, especially reading the positive stories others had to share. It seems like the forum needs a positive tale right now so...

Came out to myself at 39, several years post hetero divorce. Waded into the waters of gay dance clubs - great way to be anonymously gay. Even hit on a girl, who of course was straight. VERY nervously came out to one of my best friends, who is gay himself. He just loved me, of course. Then very nervously told the important friends in my world. Lost just one - not a big loss in the end.

I was amazed to discover that a little hunting will turn up gay groups in even the most backward places. I count myself extra lucky to have almost immediately met an amazing woman. Now it's over a year later and we are jumping up and down at the acceptance of marriage for all, at Same Love, at the Grammys, and at the coming outs all over major league sports. We are also cautious in the face of the Olympics and new laws in Uganda - generally thankful to be living in the US at this amazing time - we could get MARRIED!

I feel love from my kid, acceptance from my family and friends and actually have a hard time understanding what I was so afraid of. I know what you're going through, but it does get better - even for us older folks!:kiss:

2. LostInside

Thanks for sharing your story Allout. I'm glad everything went well for you and you found an amazing woman. It kind of gives me hope.The SameLove at The Grammys was awesome! I almost cried when i watched it, but didn't because my mom was there. Didn't want to seem overly happy about it and cause suspicion. Watching that is what actually gave me the courage to start dealing with my sexuality instead of ignoring it and hoping it would just go away or something while i became more and more unhappy. I guess it kind of woke me up.

3. farmgirl

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the positive words! Its always great when things turn out so positive!

4. setnyx

it was really great to hear your story, i give me hope that maybe one day...