1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone ever temporarily left a relationship?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by browneyedgirl, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Pretty basic...has anyone ever left a relationship/marriage temporarily to figure out their sexuality?

2. Lovetoski

Lovetoski Guest

Yes. My marriage. I never went back. If I had any advice-- Don't be a cheater. That is my biggest regret.

3. softsprite

Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with Lovetoski, cheating is not the way to go.

I think if you really love someone, sex with anyone else will leave you cold and being without the person you loved will make you sad and lonely pretty quickly. It doesn't take much time to figure out if you're right for each other.

Identity is a different issue. I think it's totally possible to figure out your identity while remaining in the relationship. It just requires a lot of communication. In fact it might even deepen the trust and understanding between the two of you.

I guess if you're gay, then once you leave a straight relationship you'll probably never go back unless you get terrified. If your bisexual, there's no reason to leave the relationship just to come to terms with your identity. Because remember--bisexuality is not defined by your sexual encounters so much as by your feelings on a day-to-day basis. If you're with your partner and you find yourself casually noticing men and women or thinking about both in your fantasy life, you're probably bisexual. And it's totally possible to be in a monogamous relationship and still claim that identity with pride.

4. MiAngel

Totally agree with Lovetoski; cheating is definitely not the answer.