1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

desperately seeking Cali...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by setnyx, Mar 9, 2014.

1. setnyx

ok, i'm looking to make friends in the west hollywood area. i need advice on how to go about a cross country move. also someone who's made a big life change like this or anyone who wants to put their 2 cents in. with inflation it's worth far less today but will be priceless to me. thanks

2. setnyx

wow, i'm surprised, not one person that has any advice. : (

3. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

If you know the area you will be living in find a Yoga studio. Yoga folks are very welcoming & friendly. They kind of have their own community. Plus good work out. Sorry did not answer earlier. (*hug*)

4. Molly1977

Hello, I don't know anyone in California state, (I'm im the UK) but juat general advice for meeting people, have you thought about joining a local college, not for doing a complicated academic course but for taking short, fun courses. Maybe something creative where you have to talk to other people in the class. Also become a regular at a local cafe, again when people get to know your face as someone who lives in the local area they will be more inclined to talk to you.

I moved areas a few years ago and this is one of the ways I found useful to meet people. It does take time but when you become familure with a new area you will find it easier to meet people.

Sorry I couldn't offer some more specific advice for your local area. Hope this helps and good luck with the move. Molly xxxx

5. AAASAS

Considering you are closer to big cities with more to offer than Hollywood, like New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago, I don't know why you wouldn't want to move there.

Plus I'm sure Boston, Chicago and Philadelphia are more affordable and welcoming than Hollywood.

6. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Googled and found there is the L.A. Gay and Lesbian Center in West Hollywood. Wishing you happiness in this new adventure! (*hug*)

7. MAXWELL45

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry I didn’t see your post sooner. I live in the I.E of Southern California. The Inland Empire. About 50 or so miles east of Hollywood. I know Hollywood. Google it for LGBT and other resources. They do have alot of resources and help in that area. Just be careful of North Hollywood. They are some really sexually not okay people out there. You will find more lifestyle options in Hollywood than I have in my area. Oh and don’t over pack on your move. Being a major move, the more you have, the harder it is. Allow yourself to give up some things and replace them as you get settled into your new life. I have made such a move before and this is what worked best for me. Sorry, this is all I got to offer. Wish I could help you more.

8. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Take this economy and employment being a sellers market into consideration.

Employers have hundreds of applicants for every job they post.

Ageism in emplyment is REAL!

Recruiters have told me employers rather not hire anybody over the age of 45. Not kosher? Try proving it.

These are real considerations.

Tom

9. setnyx

thanks for all the advice. this big move scares me and getting advice and encouragement from you all helps alot.

10. Zach

Don't worry if it takes a few days for us "older folks" to reply to a post you make here. :thumbsup:

I've been absent from the forums for a few weeks myself, and I'm trying to catch up on the threads here at EC that I missed while I was sick.

I'm just now getting over a nasty case of the flu (and at my age it takes awhile) ... :thumbsup:

11. setnyx

california is alot warmer than around here also i will be in the west hollywood area a small neighborhood with alot of lgbt people and functions.

12. MAXWELL45

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @setnyx, Hollywood does have alot to great LGBT friendly places and groups to offer. I live just a wee bit to far from there to make it worth my drive, but it is a good option and the weather is usually really good. Just use care as like any big city or community, you will come across those who are not the greatest people or safest. Wish I could move there. I live in a very conservative area of Southern California. Best to you.

13. nicegrlnextdoor

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've only been to LA on vacation so I have no idea. But I'll give my 2 cents based on my experience as a seasoned expat.

I live in Europe and relocated several times, on my own, to different countries where my job took me. So add to the stress of the move not knowing the culture and the language of the country I would move to.

I'd also suggest you to try have a look at meetup.com. This is how I eventually managed to connect with expats and groups of people I'd share common interests with (during leisure time, for going out, doing trips together, going to movies etc) and even made new business contacts. This helped a lot, especially after I've been laid off while working here in Germany for a large company, and I was feeling down and started to isolate myself. This was also the time when I'd started processing my feelings about me being gay.

Hope it helps.

14. setnyx

wow, you had alot going on. i don't think i could move another country.