1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I let her go?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Penpal, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Penpal

I met her 5 years ago and from then on we were friends. I was there for her through her illness and divorce. We shared many things in common and I made the choice to tell her I was bisexual 2 years ago. She was the first person i told. Initially she was supportive and it turned out she was too although she never told me. She spent a lot of time with a female friend and eventually moved in with her. I still spent time with her and included her new partner in anything we were doing. I loved her so much that friendship was better than nothing so I accepted that she was in a relationship and never told her how I felt. Then the time came when my husband worked out I had feelings for her. I was so scared I asked to meet with her to talk. I told her my husband knew I was bi. I was going to tell her how I felt but I knew nothing could happen. However she wouldn't meet me and said she couldn't before Christmas because she was too busy. This was early November so I said surely you can spare an hour. She wouldn't. She got cross and her partner told me not to contact her again. We don't talk now and I miss her so much. We have text a few times but she says she is still there for me but quieter. I don't see how she can be if she ignores me in public, but I have taken the blame in the hope she will start talking to me again. I feel so hurt by her and my husband. Both have turned their back on me when I really needed them. Now I can't trust people. I spend a lot of time on here rather than talking to people that will probably end up leaving me. How do I stop thinking about her and move on with my life when I love her. To complicate things our sons are in the same year at school so we bump into each other when we drop off and pick up. Wish I could let her go.

2. LovelyBunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    sorry you wont. You LOVE her it sucks but that's the reality of it. You need closure! You and her need to get together and fiqure out what happened - Did she have the same feelings for you. Is there a possibility of friendship or are we just done forever.

.She probably thinks and feels the same about you, your both to scared to confront eachother.
    ============
    If she doesn't want to talk to you/ make her.
    I believe confronting each other whether its negative or positive or neutral will help you both a lot!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    But if this is something you just cant do.... then continue to live your life. Accept that the world keeps on turning no matter what you do and $%it happens. And maybe this experience you can use as a learning experience for life.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    but u should just talk to each other

3. Aw, this must be really hard. I can kind of relate, I had a best friend in high school whom I cared for a lot. I'm not sure if I loved her like I would in a romantic relationship, but I do miss her an awful lot.

You need to move on with your life and not spend so much time alone. Being on here is fine but it cannot be your only source of social support. We humans are social people and its important we have real life contact with other people, otherwise we dwell on the last contact we had (your friend/husband).

I know its hard, but as difficult as it is; go live your life and hopefully one day you will meet someone who helps you forget all about her :slight_smile:

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree ideally a meet up to just her your side of the story would be good but if this isn't possible you could perhaps send her a letter, sometimes getting your point of view out gives you some closure.

Also keeping yourself busy can help, maybe your could join a group or start a new hobby.

5. Penpal

Thanks for your advice everyone. I do feel from my point of view that I need to talk to her. On the other hand I can't take anymore rejection from her. She has turned her back on me twice already. I think she just wants me out of her life and I need to accept it. I'm just sad that's all.

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being sad is understandable. Were you to confront her I think you would need to look at it from a I am telling you this to get it off my chest point of view, rather than I am asking in the hope of getting something from you in return. However I do understand it would be hard for you.

Sometimes closing the door and moving forward is the best thing to do.

7. Lovetoski

Lovetoski Guest

Penpal, I have been in a breakup with my gf for months. Finally I had to tell myself to disengage. I know you want closure and answers... But I am here to tell you they do not help. Pain is pain. Disengage. It's the best way for you and her to move forward.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I second Lovetoski's post, there will pain to endure...but remember this:

9. Penpal

You are right, just hurts that's all. There is so much going on in my life at the moment it feels like I'm failing in everything at the moment. It is all so overwhelming.

10. deejay

Out Status:
    A few people
    I, myself has been asking the same question over and again... When you found the answers of how you can let her go, will you update me so I can try if that would help me as well...

I hope it's that easy to just let go someone you really love...

I do really feel you, and I hope we can make it through... Cheers!

11. Penpal

Feel for you too. Horrible isn't it. X

12. sexwax

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My thought is would you leave your husband for her? Cause if not then I'm not seeing how you even have a right to be upset

13. Penpal

I'm missing the friendship. No I wouldn't leave my husband for her. However my husband and I are splitting up. He has been seeing someone he met in the pub. I fought my feelings for years to stay with my husband. Now I know it's over with my husband I can let myself grieve for her. Believe me I am grieving for my relationship with my husband too. I have never been unfaithful to him physically. Mentally Is a bit more difficult but it's not as simple as saying I don't have a right to be upset. I have felt guilty, put my feelings to the back of my mind and got on with my marriage. Then I find out my husband is sending valentine gifts to someone he meets in the pub. I'm done feeling guilty.

14. sexwax

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If I were your husband I would send flowers to a girl in a pub too it seems you're very confused and he knew of your feelings for this girl of course he's going to move on he knows you have feelings for someone else

15. Penpal

Ok well I guess you have made up your mind about me. Actually you don't know what my life has been like with my husband or the reasons I developed feelings for my friend. The problems started well before this. However, I don't think that you think I am a very good person so perhaps we should just agree to disagree. I hope you find what you are looking for on the EC. I come here for support not judgment.

16. sexwax

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm just saying you are dumbfounded that you're husband is off at the bars but you have feelings for this girl and are still mad he's hitting on other girls?? He's pretty much doing exactly what you're doing it seems from what I'm reading if it happened years ago and you started developing feelings for someone else than why are you still with your husband?

17. Penpal

There is nothing I can say that you will believe anyway. What is the point in defending myself to people that have made up there mind about me. Please just leave me alone you are upsetting me. You don't know me or my husband and haven't offered any constructive advice. You have judged me that is all. That is not what this website is about. I have found this whole process so difficult. So has my husband I get that. I can't turn my feelings off. I never had an affair or even told my friend I had feelings for her because in my mind it was wrong. I stuck with my marriage. I tried to save my marriage. . I have done nothing wrong. Maybe my husband did get fed up and find someone else it still hurts when I tried so hard to save my marriage. However to you this is my own fault and I deserve it. Ok I get that but please leave me alone now.

18. Penpal, I agree, you did nothing wrong.
    I say this because like myself, you were/are sexually attracted to you husband but it just so happened that you have feelings for someone of the same sex (as many married hetero women could have for the opposite sex), but you didn't act on it. Ended a marriage is painful and I'm sure you tried your best to hang on as best as possible.

You did nothing wrong, your husband however, please forgive me for passing judgement is still married and "dating" someone else. You never cheated. I don't see how you could be at fault here...

19. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Your husband's behavior is NOT your fault. It is his choice. I never cheated on my ex - he had a girlfriend before we were legally separated. He told everyone I was gay and he got support and sympathy from everyone.
    For months before that I had tried to save our marriage but it ate at my soul. Every day felt like I was doing time. He wanted me to be bisexual. I'm not. I did love him. I just was never in love with him.
    I'm sorry your hurting so much. (*hug*)(*hug*)

20. Penpal

Thank you so much rose and Browneyedgirl girl, I've been so upset this afternoon. So pleased I have some support. Thank you. You have made a big difference to my day I really appreciate it. X